GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GM Hockey » Ottawa Senators » Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 32 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 62 of 67]

DefenceWinsChampionships

Veteran
Veteran
Ev wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:
Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:Surprised that it got to this point even.  This is the first time under Murray that any sens player has ever had a hearing.  Usually deals have been reached a few hours before the actual hearing.  

Murray knows Chiasson isn't deserving of a raise. It's too bad when you consider that Condra would have cost less than Chiasson.

Chiasson made 900K last year. Definitely deserves a raise.

Condra would cost less but he's older and you have less control over him.

Pageau had 19 points in 50 games which would have had him on pace for 31 over 82 games. Chiasson had 26 in 76 games which would have put him at 28 points in 82 games. Chiasson played PP and I believe a limited PK role and moved up and down the lineup (had opportunities on L1 and L2).  He scored 9 less points and had almost double the amount of penalties from the year before, albeit he improved his +/- considerably.  Pageau played on Ottawa's 3rd line with two offensive anchors, played against other teams' top lines, and played consistent PK minutes and little-to-no PP time.

On a team that counts its nickles and dimes, Chiasson should not be paid a cent over $1.25M and to me that's even being generous. Maybe it's a personal thing but I don't think you should pay more for less, which is exactly what the Sens will be forced to do. I'd keep Chiasson over Smith in a hearbeat but you can't have a bottom six of Pageau, Neil, Greening, Chiasson, Smith, Lazar if it means you're denying Prince and Puempel a roster spot, especially with Paul on the doorstep.

Greening was in Bingo/benched under Dave Cameron. He isn't going to be blocking Puempel if he deserves the spot out of camp.

Was that Cameron's decision or Murray's? I feel like McLean tried to play him because he was told to. Same with Phillips and Neil. Cameron got lucky in that Neil, Phillips, and Smith were all injured for the bulk of his time as HC. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the roster with everyone healthy. I know I would dress a completely different lineup which would see Neil, Greening, Phillips, Smith on the bench. From from the GM perspective that's $8-9M of payroll not playing so it's not going to happen. It's too bad that Prince/Puempel will be denied a full-time opportunity to play on account of those plugs.

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:Surprised that it got to this point even.  This is the first time under Murray that any sens player has ever had a hearing.  Usually deals have been reached a few hours before the actual hearing.  

Murray knows Chiasson isn't deserving of a raise. It's too bad when you consider that Condra would have cost less than Chiasson.

Pageau had 19 points in 50 games which would have had him on pace for 31 over 82 games. Chiasson had 26 in 76 games which would have put him at 28 points in 82 games. Chiasson played PP and I believe a limited PK role and moved up and down the lineup (had opportunities on L1 and L2).  He scored 9 less points and had almost double the amount of penalties from the year before, albeit he improved his +/- considerably.  Pageau played on Ottawa's 3rd line with two offensive anchors, played against other teams' top lines, and played consistent PK minutes and little-to-no PP time.

On a team that counts its nickles and dimes, Chiasson should not be paid a cent over $1.25M and to me that's even being generous. Maybe it's a personal thing but I don't think you should pay more for less, which is exactly what the Sens will be forced to do. I'd keep Chiasson over Smith in a hearbeat but you can't have a bottom six of Pageau, Neil, Greening, Chiasson, Smith, Lazar if it means you're denying Prince and Puempel a roster spot, especially with Paul on the doorstep.

Greening was in Bingo/benched under Dave Cameron. He isn't going to be blocking Puempel if he deserves the spot out of camp.

Was that Cameron's decision or Murray's? I feel like McLean tried to play him because he was told to. Same with Phillips and Neil. Cameron got lucky in that Neil, Phillips, and Smith were all injured for the bulk of his time as HC. It'll be interesting to see how he handles the roster with everyone healthy. I know I would dress a completely different lineup which would see Neil, Greening, Phillips, Smith on the bench. From from the GM perspective that's $8-9M of payroll not playing so it's not going to happen. It's too bad that Prince/Puempel will be denied a full-time opportunity to play on account of those plugs.

Greening isn't blocking anyone. Nor Smith. Nor Neil. The only way anyone gets blocked is if the organization feels they need to show the rest of the league what an NHL-ready gem they took in the 1st round of the latest draft. Only then will an AHLer who has paid his dues and is ready to make the jump will be blocked.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Ev wrote:
Ev wrote:

literally happened last year when everyone was healthy. I wouldn't bench Smith as he's the perfect 4C IMO.

If Prince deserves it he'll make it. Peumpel is a lock.

Prince also doesn't need waivers apparently.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
People who think Greening is blocking anyone from taking a spot... did he hold anyone back last year? No.... so why would it be different this year?

Fact is Cameron is a young players coach, he's a guy that's going to put his best team out there no matter what. He showed it by benching Neil, Phillips, Greening, Legwand, and whoever else may not have been pulling their weight. He rode Hammond into the playoffs despite Anderson being ready and right or wrong he stuck with the guy who was winning.

Cameron likes to ice winners, he won't let contracts get in the way.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
He didn't really bench anyone except Hoffman. Greening was not playing under MacLean. Smith, Phillips and Neil were injured. By the time they got better the team was on a roll and were actually close to a playoff spot. Legwand didn't sit.

Let's not assume that his actions (or inactions) during an unprecedented comeback streak defines how he acts under more normal circumstances. In other words, I'm not sure we've really seen what Cameron is like.

NEELY

Mod
Mod
In the playoffs? The last two games he sat Neil and Legwand. He was the first coach in history to bench Phillips. Talk about making things up to try and prove a false narrative.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
wprager wrote:He didn't really bench anyone except Hoffman.  Greening was not playing under MacLean.  Smith, Phillips and Neil were injured.  By the time they got better the team was on a roll and were actually close to a playoff spot.  Legwand didn't sit.

Let's not assume that his actions (or inactions) during an unprecedented comeback streak defines how he acts under more normal circumstances.  In other words, I'm not sure we've really seen what Cameron is like.

Huh? He benched Phillips real good.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
SpezDispensed wrote:
wprager wrote:He didn't really bench anyone except Hoffman.  Greening was not playing under MacLean.  Smith, Phillips and Neil were injured.  By the time they got better the team was on a roll and were actually close to a playoff spot.  Legwand didn't sit.

Let's not assume that his actions (or inactions) during an unprecedented comeback streak defines how he acts under more normal circumstances.  In other words, I'm not sure we've really seen what Cameron is like.

Huh?  He benched Phillips real good.

And at the end of the season Phillips had back surgery.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
NEELY wrote:In the playoffs?  The last two games he sat Neil and Legwand.  He was the first coach in history to bench Phillips. Talk about making things up to try and prove a false narrative.

And I suppose Phillips had back surgery just to try to prove the false narrative that he was not a healthy scratch down the stretch. You know, maybe the reason he started out so well (you were praising him early in the season, even when he was paired with Karlsson and playing 22+ minutes a night) had something to do with a nagging back injury. I guess we'll see how he plays in October. I've already gone on record saying that he can still be useful, so long as he's there on the third pairing.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
SpezDispensed wrote:
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Anyone know the arbitration timeline? My understanding is 90 minutes for each side to argue their case (total 3 hours) plus 30-60 minutes for rebuttal. I am wondering when we will know the outcome of arbitration (same day, few days later, etc).

They have 48 hours to announce the outcome.

Unless they settle before then. Sens Nation on pins and needles...

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:In the playoffs?  The last two games he sat Neil and Legwand.  He was the first coach in history to bench Phillips. Talk about making things up to try and prove a false narrative.

And I suppose Phillips had back surgery just to try to prove the false narrative that he was not a healthy scratch down the stretch.  You know, maybe the reason he started out so well (you were praising him early in the season, even when he was paired with Karlsson and playing 22+ minutes a night) had something to do with a nagging back injury.   I guess we'll see how he plays in October.  I've already gone on record saying that he can still be useful, so long as he's there on the third pairing.

He benched him even before the back surgery. It was one of the first things he did when he became head coach in december. Whether phillips was affected and sucking because of back surgery is a different topic but suffice to say he wasn't cutting it and he was indeed BENCHED. It went on and off like that till phillip's record breaking game after which he was permanently benched.

As others have said, Neil and Legwand got benched in the playoffs. Cameron has shown to have balls and that's why he's succeeded so far.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator
Michallica wrote:
wprager wrote:

And I suppose Phillips had back surgery just to try to prove the false narrative that he was not a healthy scratch down the stretch.  You know, maybe the reason he started out so well (you were praising him early in the season, even when he was paired with Karlsson and playing 22+ minutes a night) had something to do with a nagging back injury.   I guess we'll see how he plays in October.  I've already gone on record saying that he can still be useful, so long as he's there on the third pairing.

He benched him even before the back surgery.  It was one of the first things he did when he became head coach in december.  Whether phillips was affected and sucking because of back surgery is a different topic but suffice to say he wasn't cutting it and he was indeed BENCHED.  It went on and off like that till phillip's record breaking game after which he was permanently benched.  

As others have said, Neil and Legwand got benched in the playoffs.  Cameron has shown to have balls and that's why he's succeeded so far.

Well of course he benched him before the surgery. Surgery was only done in the off-season. Maybe, just maybe, Phillips was hoping that rest would help, but giving all those piggybacks to Lazar probably wasn't his best move.

As for the playoffs, they were just the extension of that incredible comeback run.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star
Meant before phillips was 'injured' and out. He was sporadically being benched by cameron up until he became the sens games played leader.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
Good god who cares what happened last season. It's clear guys like Greening, Smith, Neil, and Phillips will have an uphill battle for ice time this coming season, and that's fine.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder
The problem is they take roster spots. Good competitive spirit this coming year though. Dog it and you sit.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star
SpezDispensed wrote:The problem is they take roster spots. Good competitive spirit this coming year though.  Dog it and you sit.

I'm really looking forward to the competition out of camp. I wonder who will surprise this year.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
spader wrote:
SpezDispensed wrote:The problem is they take roster spots. Good competitive spirit this coming year though.  Dog it and you sit.

I'm really looking forward to the competition out of camp. I wonder who will surprise this year.

Ah yes. The annual "battle for jobs."

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player
DefenceWinsChampionships wrote:Anyone know the arbitration timeline? My understanding is 90 minutes for each side to argue their case (total 3 hours) plus 30-60 minutes for rebuttal. I am wondering when we will know the outcome of arbitration (same day, few days later, etc).

Frank Seravalli ‏@frank_seravalli 8h8 hours ago

#Sens RFA Alex Chiasson will be 3rd player since '11 to reach deal via arbitration on Sat. His agent says no deal coming before ruling. #TSN

Could be a huge payday for The Chiasser!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 62 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 32 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum