GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+14
SensHulk
Oglethorpe
rooneypoo
Flo The Action
tim1_2
LeCaptain
DefenceWinsChampionships
wprager
NEELY
Cap'n Clutch
spader
Ev
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 38 of 67]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Not surprised that Condra didn't re-sign. A little surprised he ended up going for so little. I know it's one more year but it sounds like they weren't even going to offer him a small raise.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

What's with the Eric O'Dell signing? Another RHS center. Heard them say that he's an NHLer. So are they expecting to move Smith? We already have Turris-Zibanejad-Pageau-Smith and even Lazar.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:Not surprised that Condra didn't re-sign.  A little surprised he ended up going for so little.  I know it's one more year but it sounds like they weren't even going to offer him a small raise.  

They liked Condra, I liked Condra, no one loved him.

Fact is they are going to have a lot of guys pushing for time this year and this shows those same guys there is room if they earn it.

Puempel, Prince, and Robinson right away need a chance. Paul, Lindberg, McCormick, and Dzingle are all going to be looking for some time, then there are the prospects in the system that might surprise at some point and you can't have a guy like Condra taking up a spot when someone else is better and ready.

He was a good Sen, neither side owes the other side a thing, c'est la vie man.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Zack Stortini is another one they signed today -- that one's clearly AHL bound. I see that Derek Grant signed on with the Flames. I didn't hear about anyone else but they had quite a few players who were free agents in Bingo that did not get re-signed.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:What's with the Eric O'Dell signing?  Another RHS center.  Heard them say that he's an NHLer.  So are they expecting to move Smith?  We already have Turris-Zibanejad-Pageau-Smith and even Lazar.

I guess if injuries hit hard he'll play in the NHL. Great numbers though in the AHL - and a big dude. Who knows...

NEELY

Mod
Mod

O'Dell is an interesting case... he's had some tough years but the guy was almost a 1st round draft pick back in the day, played some NHL games but didn't do much on the Jets 4th lines. Truthfully his situation is a lot like Hoffman's from a 2 years ago. He's a dark horse in the organization now, I wouldn't get overly excited but he's the guy I am kind of intrigued by.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I thought he was bigger. Great point totals in the A. Is he just good there, or is there some upside...we'll see...

NEELY

Mod
Mod

We'll see, I think that kind of signing is just in case things don't work out with Hoffman to be honest. Every player in the AHL is going to have to be better than O'Dell to get the call and that's going to be tough. Dorion laid it down, he's the guy you have to be better than to get a shot.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't see where Odell and Hoffman have anything in common personally. If things don't work out with Hoffman, we have prince and puempel and michalek etc.

But it puts pressure on guys in bingo to work hard and bring it everyday if they want a shot and everyone can appreciate that.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Just their age, production at the AHL level, size, just a few common traits. Again, I am not expecting anything other than an AHL all-star but O'Dell does have a little pedigree behind him and had a little bad luck. Just a guy I think people should keep in mind.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Oh I see. That would be nice.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I really like the Sens heading into the new season after watching their own division get a lot weaker.

Toronto - Enough said
Boston - Older on the ice, traded their prime players.
Detroit - Lost Babcock
Tampa - Short off season, young team that could come back down to earth a little

Montreal - about the same, will depend on Price and he can win anything by himself
Buffalo - better but they need more than 1 NHL d man, 6 is usually a good number
Florida - very much like Ottawa, filled with youth and looking to take the next step.

Can't wait for Oct 8.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Buffalo can still add DMen. Other than Toronto I wouldn't be too surprised to see anyone make the playoffs.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:I really like the Sens heading into the new season after watching their own division get a lot weaker.

Toronto - Enough said
Boston - Older on the ice, traded their prime players.
Detroit - Lost Babcock
Tampa - Short off season, young team that could come back down to earth a little

Montreal - about the same, will depend on Price and he can win anything by himself
Buffalo - better but they need more than 1 NHL d man, 6 is usually a good number
Florida - very much like Ottawa, filled with youth and looking to take the next step.

Can't wait for Oct 8.

Detroit will be fine; have to slightly disagree there.

Price is not likely to have another season like last one, and they still have a mess up the middle. Galchenyuk is not signed yet and, frankly, he is not what they projected him to be. But they have Petry there for the full season, Prust for Kassian is an upgrade. Not sure about that team at all.

I don't think Tampa will have problems. They are young and it really wasn't that hard. Johnson's wrist was pretty much it, wasn't it?

Buffalo will be better, for sure. They won't be tanking. Florida will be better as well.

I'd say Boston and Toronto will be the weak sisters in the Division. After that, should be pretty competitive. If Ryan is back to being Ryan and Hoffman/Stone don't fall off a cliff, if Wideman/Phillips/Cowen can do a better job than Gryba, if Ceci/Wiercioch can play like a 2nd pairing, if we can move Greening or he gets back to being more than just big then we'll be alright.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:Buffalo can still add DMen.  Other than Toronto I wouldn't be too surprised to see anyone make the playoffs.

I'd add Boston to that list. They missed last year and they lost their best D-man and Lucic. Both teams are in a full-on rebuild.

Hmm, if Buffalo needs D-men, they can have one that's a former first overall.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:Buffalo can still add DMen.  Other than Toronto I wouldn't be too surprised to see anyone make the playoffs.

I'd add Boston to that list.  They missed last year and they lost their best D-man and Lucic.  Both teams are in a full-on rebuild.

Hmm, if Buffalo needs D-men, they can have one that's a former first overall.

Erik Johnson on the move?!?!?!?!?!

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I really don't know how we are going to make the playoffs without Condra. Murray is a Cussing idiot! Missed the boat.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:I really don't know how we are going to make the playoffs without Condra. Murray is a Cussing idiot! Missed the boat.

Maybe next time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 38 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 52 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum