GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Expendables - Ottawa Edition

+9
Flo The Action
rooneypoo
wprager
PTFlea
Ev
SeawaySensFan
Hoags
tim1_2
Cap'n Clutch
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 10]

106The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:04 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:What I want to happen - Trade Anderson and run with Lehner and Hammond and then bring up O'Connor (I'm assuming he signs here as it's what I want to happen Smile ) if Hammond faulters or after O'Connor has had a season or 2 in Bingo.

What most likely will happen - They'll keep Anderson out of fear of what might happen to Lehner as they've shown a propensity to do that and Hammond will walk for ZIP and IF we're lucky we'll have O'Connor.  We'll go into next season with Anderson and Lehner and if we have O'Connor then they'll trade Lehner as soon as O'Connor feels he's ready for the NHL.

I don't know about any one else, but I'm about this concerned about Hammond walking.

107The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:07 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:all this BS about lehner throwing people under the bus, it's happened quite few times that Anderson has done exactly what you are accusing lehner of doing. i clearly remember Anderson saying guys have to play better in front of him while he was letting in a few softy himself.

enough with this nitpicking crap. everyone says stuff once in a while in front of the cameras or behaves a certain way in which they regret. it's all part of being human.

i haven't seen it done on a regular basis so i'm not worried about that at all.

when it comes down to it you give the net the way price was given the net. I'd rather lehner fall on his face for a while and learn some humility than losing him. it's pretty obvious he can get on when given the chance to play.

you trade Anderson because plain and simple he will not be our guy three years from not and we will be looking pretty bare without him.
end. of. story.

I wish Lehner had done more these last three years to make 'giving him the net' an easy decision. That would make trading arguable the best goalie in Sens franchise history a whole lot easier.

108The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:11 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think the ideal situation is to have Hammond start the year as the backup.  If he doesn't transform back into the Hamburglar, well, no big loss, he's only the backup.  If he does, then we've effectively got Tim Thomas reincarnated for another year.  It seems like a low risk move to bring him back...I also assume the price tag won't be huge on a one or two year deal.

Regardless of what happens with Hammond, I think we still need to trade one of Anderson or Lehner.

109The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:20 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

When price was given the net he had not proven anything at the NHL level apart from having the pedigree. There were growing pains.

110The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:24 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Flo The Action wrote:When price was given the net he had not proven anything at the NHL level apart from having the pedigree. There were growing pains.

There are important differences. Price was super young, drafted super high (top 5, I believe), and MTL was definitely a team in transition. Lehner is older, a one-time golden boy for the franchise, sure, but not of the NHL like Price, and OTT is a team in a definite upswing with guys just entering their primes. Big differences.

111The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:29 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:I think the ideal situation is to have Hammond start the year as the backup.  If he doesn't transform back into the Hamburglar, well, no big loss, he's only the backup.  If he does, then we've effectively got Tim Thomas reincarnated for another year.  It seems like a low risk move to bring him back...I also assume the price tag won't be huge on a one or two year deal.

Regardless of what happens with Hammond, I think we still need to trade one of Anderson or Lehner.

Agreed except I'd say leave Lehner's name off that list of goalies that need to be traded regardless :D

- Unknown Author

112The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:31 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:When price was given the net he had not proven anything at the NHL level apart from having the pedigree. There were growing pains.

There are important differences. Price was super young, drafted super high (top 5, I believe), and MTL was definitely a team in transition. Lehner is older, a one-time golden boy for the franchise, sure, but not of the NHL like Price, and OTT is a team in a definite upswing with guys just entering their primes. Big differences.

Price won a Calder at a young age, so did Lehner, They had to decide between a goalie that had a stellar season and playoff and Price, who, at the time hadn't done much, Lehner was also touted as being the next big star and is also now being up for a similar decision with Anderson.  The Sens are still transitioning as they are still a very young team.  Not as vastly different as you may think.

- Unknown Author

113The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:48 am

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Apart from the draft position I don't see much differences in the trajectory of both player. If anything I think we could of leaned on lehner a lot more prior to this year. And I do agree that we are still transitioning. Barring some big moves this summer I could still see this team having a couple of setbacks and still fighting it out for a 7th or 8th place next season. Especially if something goes wrong with Anderson and lehner isn't there. I do not share the faith that Hammond is the golden boy that can do a repeat. I think he can be ok but he won't win as many for us. Regular back up numbers.

114The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:52 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

And, as I've said earlier, GMs, including BM, have said phrases such as "This is a playoff team" or "This is a team that should go deep". It certainly doesn't mean that they are specifically building there team to do just that or to just be a playoff team or just win a round but, they are realistic with projecting the talent they have, how it will develop and what they can realistically acquire etc... There are 30 teams in the league and they're not all Cup finalists and you can't become one over night.

- Unknown Author

115The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:14 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Regardless of how people feel about Anderson or Lehner, I think we can all agree that we should only start the season with one of them.

116The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Regardless of how people feel about Anderson or Lehner, I think we can all agree that we should only start the season with one of them.

Funny, I was thinking if money wasn't an option they can fight for the job, but hey...no idea what to do anymore.

117The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:55 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

If Hammond signs then there's no way they keep all three to see which two win the jobs.

- Unknown Author

118The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is anyone concerned that Cameron has not sighed his extension? He got the contract from Murray but when asked at his presser he said "It's sitting on my kitchen table".

Not sure what to make of that, other than he hadn't signed it yet. So, logically, next question is -- why? Was he just joking or was that a subtle hint that he's thinking it over (and maybe he'd think less if some numbers on the contract were more).

119The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:07 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I'm not overly concerned at this point.

- Unknown Author

120The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:27 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Is anyone concerned that Cameron has not sighed his extension?  He got the contract from Murray but when asked at his presser he said "It's sitting on my kitchen table".

Not sure what to make of that, other than he hadn't signed it yet.  So, logically, next question is -- why?  Was he just joking or was that a subtle hint that he's thinking it over (and maybe he'd think less if some numbers on the contract were more).

Meh.

121The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:52 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Is anyone concerned that Cameron has not sighed his extension?  He got the contract from Murray but when asked at his presser he said "It's sitting on my kitchen table".

Not sure what to make of that, other than he hadn't signed it yet.  So, logically, next question is -- why?  Was he just joking or was that a subtle hint that he's thinking it over (and maybe he'd think less if some numbers on the contract were more).
if you bothered to really listen you'd of heard that he never negotiated a contract before and he just takes what is offered because he believes they are being fair.

nothing to worry about.

122The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:56 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

Price won a Calder at a young age, so did Lehner, They had to decide between a goalie that had a stellar season and playoff and Price, who, at the time hadn't done much, Lehner was also touted as being the next big star and is also now being up for a similar decision with Anderson.  The Sens are still transitioning as they are still a very young team.  Not as vastly different as you may think.

Difference is, Lehner completely fell off the radar for nearly 2 calendar years. There was at least competition between Halak and Price, with them playing almost the same number of games (45 vs 41) that year. On top of that, Price had played 40+ game seasons 3 seasons in a row before they traded Halak. Lehner has never played 40+ games in any season, let alone done it for multiple consecutive seasons, and has a total of 86 NHL games (including relief appearances) under his belt

To be clear, I'm NOT advocating for trading Lehner. I'm saying he hasn't made it an easy choice for the organization.

123The Expendables - Ottawa Edition - Page 8 Empty Re: The Expendables - Ottawa Edition Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:10 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

the difference is the non-commitement of the org to playing Lehner. they have not even tried to force him into playing more games. price didn't merit many of the early starts he got.
the more i see it the more i relaized how we screwed up his development for the short term gains when we weren't competitive to begin with.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum