GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Senators (present and past) TIDBITS & QUICK HITS!

+15
TheAvatar
spader
rooneypoo
DefenceWinsChampionships
Oglethorpe
dennycrane
LeCaptain
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
NEELY
Flo The Action
tim1_2
Ev
SeawaySensFan
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 67]

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:Ryan with a fractured finger... Diddle me.

Apparently it may not be that bad....

Big game tonight!  Gotta get things on track.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Flo The Action wrote:Ryan with a fractured finger... Diddle me.

I remember them saying that he had a sore wrist from a sash a while back, which is why he hasn't been shooting well or often. Now the finger. Is he getting targetted?

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

At least it's a good draft year.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Our team is just too slow.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:Our team is just too slow.  

The players are fast, especially the forwards. Team game is what is Cussing slow. It's either the system or the Defensemen.

I wouldn't mind getting a top 10 pick this year that's for sure. Skill is still lacking.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

LeCaptain wrote:

The players are fast, especially the forwards. Team game is what is Cussing slow. It's either the system or the Defensemen.

I wouldn't mind getting a top 10 pick this year that's for sure. Skill is still lacking.
Overall the forwards lack foot speed. better than last year but still slow as a group.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:

Overall the forwards lack foot speed.  better than last year but still slow as a group.  

It's easy too look slow when by the time you get the puck there's already 4 opponents in front of you. Think about it, who is slow on the roster? Certainly not McArthur, Turris, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Lazar, Chiasson, Michalek...heck even Condra is pretty fast.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

LeCaptain wrote:
Oglethorpe wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:

Overall the forwards lack foot speed.  better than last year but still slow as a group.  

It's easy too look slow when by the time you get the puck there's already 4 opponents in front of you. Think about it, who is slow on the roster? Certainly not McArthur, Turris, Hoffman, Zibanejad, Lazar, Chiasson, Michalek...heck even Condra is pretty fast.
Hoffman has great speed.
Zibanejad, Lazar and Condra have good speed.
Turris, MacArthur and Greening are average.
Chiasson, Stone, Michalek and Smith are below average.
Neil, Legwand and Ryan are slow as dirt.

Only Karlsson and Ceci have good speed on the back end. Phillips and Wiercioch would lose a race with Jason Allison.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Go through other teams and you'll see the exact same pattern (for the forwards I mean).
And MacArthur is not average. He has good speed.
Go back to the Boston team that won the cup and tell me who has blazing speed there. They just move the puck so well they look fast.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Maybe the pundits were right. Most of them predicted Ottawa at 7th in the division and that is where they sit. Speed is part of it but the talent at C and D is just not there. There is some promise but that is about two years away from being talent that is good enough to contend in the division.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

LeCaptain wrote:Go through other teams and you'll see the exact same pattern (for the forwards I mean).
Go back to the Boston team that won the cup and tell me who has blazing speed there. They just move the puck so well they look fast.
Exception with Boston. Look at Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I would argue that with all four teams they have had:

1. Teams spending to the cap
2. Top end young talent on team friendly contracts
3. Incredible depth down the middle

Ottawa is 0 for 3 by my count.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
LeCaptain wrote:Go through other teams and you'll see the exact same pattern (for the forwards I mean).
Exception with Boston.  Look at Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA.

Go through LA's last cup team and tell me who are the fast guys there. Definitely not Jeff Carter or Anze Kopitar who I consider LA's best 2 forwards. It's not like they score their goals on breakaways. Good speed but not faster than a Clarke McArthur or a Zibanejad.
Go look at their games if you have Game Center. They look fast because each player keeps the puck for 1 second and their forwards receive the puck while they are speeding through the neutral zone. Our forwards receive the puck 2 feet from the net after the defensemen have cycled it back and forth between both of them.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

dennycrane wrote:I would argue that with all four teams they have had:

We need better defensemen. Wiercioch cannot be on an NHL team. Philips is done.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oglethorpe wrote:
Hoffman has great speed.
Zibanejad, Lazar and Condra have good speed.
Turris, MacArthur and Greening are average.
Chiasson, Stone, Michalek and Smith are below average.
Neil, Legwand and Ryan are slow as dirt.  

Only Karlsson and Ceci have good speed on the back end.  Phillips and Wiercioch would lose a race with Jason Allison.

Zibanejad may have good top-speed but his two-step acceleration is poor. Maybe the result of bulking up in the summer, who knows.

MacArthur is very fast, not sure why you said that. He's been a bit invisible recently, so maybe perception is affected by recent play?

Greening once won the Sens' skills competition fastest skater. If he's not skating fast now it's conditioning, game-shape or perhaps even not being sure of his role.

I agree on the rest, though.

But the fastest skater cannot beat a pass and we are not in the right places to receive a pass half the time. Bad decisions and decisions and late decisions are killing this team.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ottawa could get better while spending less.

Replace Smith ($1.88), Phillips ($2.5), Greening ($2.65), Michalek ($4) with Pageau ($0.613), Claesson ($0.623), Robinson ($0.925) and Puempel ($0.863).

Methot comes back and that is a better team than what you've got now. You can make even more changes but with Methot back Wiercioch is benched, so why bother. Neil can be replaced but he's trying and producing, and with better forwards he could go back to playing fewer minutes and be used properly. Plus you have to keep some vets (that's one reason for not touching Legwand).

The changes above reduce the cap by $8M, by the way.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

LeCaptain wrote:

We need better defensemen. Wiercioch cannot be on an NHL team. Philips is done.

I think the biggest issue right now is that Karlsson cannot trust whomever they stick in as his partner. As a result he tries to do it all by himself. I almost feel like you could put Karlsson out there with five forwards at even strength and it will be better than what we have now.

Last night I saw him skating circles in his own end both with and without the puck. Half of that skating should have been Phillips. We need Methot back in a huge way.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Just saw Murray tell Lazar in the hotel lobby he will be named to the junior team tomorrow.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum