GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs

+13
stempniaksen
Flo The Action
ddt
spader
Hobiesens
wprager
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
SensHulk
NEELY
PTFlea
Hoags
tim1_2
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 9]

46Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 pm

spader

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:I don't get the timing at all.

The explanation that I'm hearing is that because his contract is about to be up for renewal, they don't think he'll have time to execute any of his plans (since the team needs an overhaul). Because of that, they had to get someone in that'll be able to carry out a plan. Sounds like he was gonna be done anyway.

47Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:47 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

MLSE also hired a player on another team to coach Toronto FC... this is around the same lines.

48Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:49 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jurke gets to stick around as senior adviser. Laugh1

49Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:52 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie
Sources say no recent incident led to Burke's firing. New ownership did not like his "style".

Who cares about your record, it's all about "style" in TO.

50Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:54 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:james duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie
Sources say no recent incident led to Burke's firing. New ownership did not like his "style".

Bunch of imbeciles. Their hijinks amuse me.

51Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:55 pm

ddt

ddt
Rookie
Rookie

But then his record was not exactly sparkling either...

52Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:58 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Holy cow they're dumb there. Laugh1

53Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:19 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

James Dutchie basically said they'd be on all afternoon covering this. Laugh1 Laughing3

54Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:32 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TSN clowns already ingratiating themselves with new GM Nonnis. Giving him credit for the "good" trades and roasting Jurke for the bad ones.

55Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Dreger gonna be getting a lot more rumors from his cousin now.

56Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:00 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

TSN Top Story: Jurke fired

"in other news": NHL BOG ratifies new CBA Laugh1 Laughing3

57Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

first off Laughing3

second: now do they start on another rebuilding phase?

what a gong show

58Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:10 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I guess Burke didn't want to make the trade with vancouver is what i'm hearing now when all his advisers are saying go for it.

should be a fun next few days in leaf country. things are gonna get real stupid. I love it.

59Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:26 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Flo The Action wrote:I guess Burke didn't want to make the trade with vancouver is what i'm hearing now when all his advisers are saying go for it.

should be a fun next few days in leaf country. things are gonna get real stupid. I love it.

"Gonna get"? Things have been real stupid their for eons, but this may just usher in a new age of hilariousness. I think we all agree firing Burke is the right move, but they literally picked the WORST possible time.

60Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:32 pm

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Flo The Action wrote:I guess Burke didn't want to make the trade with vancouver is what i'm hearing now when all his advisers are saying go for it.

"Gonna get"? Things have been real stupid their for eons, but this may just usher in a new age of hilariousness. I think we all agree firing Burke is the right move, but they literally picked the WORST possible time.

I keep having images of the islanders banging on the gong to attract King Kong to devour it's victim.

a new king kong is coming to rule havoc over toronto and the islanders are loving their tormentor. Laugh1

61Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:51 pm

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

He has a pretty abrasive style, and it's possible that didn't sit well with the new ownership.

Who was the face of the franchise during Burke's tenure? Not Phaneuf or Kessel, the answer is Burke himself. Maybe ownership wanted to take a step away from that and instead focus on the on-ice product for once (crazy thought I know) and that all starts with Nonis behind the reigns and Luongo in nets.

The timing is ridiculous and will cause a ton of questions to start the season, but I think this is the better move in the long-term.

62Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:32 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Trending: #Nonnis

63Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 4 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:42 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

Granted that Luongo can help the Leafs -- but he wasn't exactly stellar last season or the Canucks would not have replaced him with Schneider in the playoffs.

If they go after Luongo.. that contract could become as issue should he falter. Then who would trade for him then?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum