GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burke is predicting the Leafs make the playoffs next year.

+5
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
Hayden
asq2
SensFan71
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/655584
GM says emphasis will be fighting, hitting

Jun 24, 2009 04:30 AM
Comments on this story Burke is predicting the Leafs make the playoffs next year. IcoComment (32)

Kevin McGran
SPORTS REPORTER

Brian Burke is about to begin remaking the Toronto Maple Leafs and will use every tool in his arsenal – draft picks, salary cap space and trades – to build a team that will hit and fight.
"Our goal is to make the playoffs next year, we're going to have to make some changes to do it," Burke said yesterday. "We're going to be a different team.
"I like a lot of hitting. I like a lot of fighting. We have a passive group. All year long, when a trainer was on the ice – it was always our trainer– that really bothered me.
"It will be a more hostile group in the fall."
Burke said he didn't care that neither the Pittsburgh Penguins nor the Detroit Red Wings – the last two Stanley Cup winners –could be described as hard-hitting or fighting teams.
"I don't give a rat's Donkey what they do in Pittsburgh or Detroit," said Burke. "There's been four different Cup winners the last four years, and I got one of them (Anaheim) and it was a fighting team. We're playing it that way regardless."
Friday looms as a key opportunity for Burke to start turning his team around. Holding the seventh overall pick in Friday night's first round of the entry draft, he still remains committed to trying to move up to pick John Tavares.
"This guy is a natural goal scorer," Burke said. "You can teach hockey players just about everything. You can improve every area of skill. You can make him a better skater. You can make him stronger. But you can't teach him to score.
"This kid is going to be a big-time player. He's got a nose for the net. He'll pay a price to score. He's dominated at every level he's played at."
Burke expects it could take until the moment before the New York Islanders choose first overall before any deal gets finalized, as had happened before with Burke deals to land Chris Pronger (in Hartford) and the Sedin twins (in Vancouver).
"Teams haven't said they won't move the pick," said Burke. "Most of them have said they don't like my price. We'll see how it goes, we'll keep banging away at it."
Burke said he wasn't going to fall into the trap that had befuddled so many other Leaf GMs – he promised not to trade young players for veterans. "We're going to keep the long-term blue print," said Burke.
At the same time however, he suggested that in order to move up in the draft, he might have to trade draft picks. If he did, he'd try to reacquire picks immediately.
"I hate trading picks," said Burke. "Right now, I'm probably in a position where I'll probably have to do it. But if we trade picks, I'll probably try to get some back. I like our scouts to be busy on draft day. They worked hard all year."
But Friday is important on another matter. The no-trade clauses for both defencemen Tomas Kaberle and Pavel Kubina temporarily expire. From draft day until mid-August, either can be traded. Burke said he's had nibbles for both, but said it was "too early to say" whether one, or both, would be moved.
Kubina earns $5 million (all figures U.S.) a year, Kaberle $4.25 million. Both have offensive ability, Kubina has a bit more grit.
Burke has a fair bit of cap space – about $12 million – with Mikhail Grabovski the only significant unsigned restricted free agent. Burke expects to be able to use his cap space to help him make trades by acquiring overpriced players.
"It's a function of teams who have made some decisions they'd like to have back, some concern about where the salary cap is going," said Burke. "But I believe teams that have cap room will be able to take advantage of that." The Leafs also have a hole at back-up goaltending, though Burke hopes to land Swedish free agent Jonas Gustavsson.
"When I do go to mass on Sunday I pray for help at the goaltending position," Burke told an audience at the North America Cup draw. "We had a tough year in net. Our goaltending wasn't good enough. But Vesa Toskala has had three surgical procedures. We're counting on him to be our starter, and be healthy, and get the job done."

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Eh, I think that's less unrealistic than Maurice saying that they'd make the playoffs and compete for the Cup.

He just said their goal is to make the playoffs. The NY Islanders' goal is probably the same.

Hayden

Hayden
Rookie
Rookie

Building through the draft never works - this pretty much ensures 10 more years without a cup.

Why not follow in Chicago's, Washington's & Pittsburg's footsteps and build a team properly.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I didn't see a prediction in there. His goal is the playoffs but he's not saying they will do it. No surprise he wants a hitting and fighting team though. I told people with Burke there the rivalry will be re-kindled. Even if the Sens pound the leafs on the score board there'll be plenty to be upset about as a Sens fan I'm sure.

- Unknown Author

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Burke: "I like a lot of hitting. I like a lot of fighting."

No Dung sherlock.

Hayden wrote:Building through the draft never works - this pretty much ensures 10 more years without a cup.

Why not follow in Chicago's, Washington's & Pittsburg's footsteps and build a team properly.

Ughhh what? Detroit, Edmonton, NJ, Colorado, and now Pitts...

Last edited by Neely4Life on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hayden wrote:Building through the draft never works - this pretty much ensures 10 more years without a cup.

Detroit builds through the draft do they not? One third of the Cups were won by the Wings in the last 12 seasons.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Burke: "I like a lot of hitting. I like a lot of fighting."

No Dung sherlock.

which is probably why they are threatening to over pay Neil when he becomes UFA, believe they threw a number like 2 or 2.5 out there.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Detroit builds through the draft do they not? One third of the Cups were won by the Wings in the last 12 seasons.

Edmonton did, Detroit did, Colorado did, New Jersey did, Pitts did, even tampa did.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hayden, were you being facetious?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SensFan71 wrote:

No Dung sherlock.

which is probably why they are threatening to over pay Neil when he becomes UFA, believe they threw a number like 2 or 2.5 out there.

Whaaa!?!?!

I heard they were offering him $1.7 for 3 years. That's a good $200K more than folks on this site have been discussing. Many feel anything over $1.5M is highway robbery.

Is Yablonski still in Bingo?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I edited a comment out of one of your posts Neely. Let's keep it respectful no matter what.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Hayden, were you being facetious?

I wondered that as well but without the emoticon it's tough to read into comments like that.

- Unknown Author

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
SensFan71 wrote:

No Dung sherlock.

Whaaa!?!?!

I heard they were offering him $1.7 for 3 years. That's a good $200K more than folks on this site have been discussing. Many feel anything over $1.5M is highway robbery.

Is Yablonski still in Bingo?

That's what I have heard that Toronto would throw at Neil if he goes UFA.

SpezDispenser wrote:I edited a comment out of one of your posts Neely. Let's keep it respectful no matter what.

It might have been the dumbest comment I have read on this site, ever.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum