GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs

+13
stempniaksen
Flo The Action
ddt
spader
Hobiesens
wprager
SeawaySensFan
shabbs
SensHulk
NEELY
PTFlea
Hoags
tim1_2
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 9]

31Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:05 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Again, why would Luongo waive his NTC for Toronto? That would be pretty much the last destination I would agree to.

Well you know it's going to be a Dung show now and all the pressure in the world is on Luongo. If he has bad season off the hop he's in for the longest 10 years of any player in NHL history.

Yeah, that's what I mean. I'd go anywhere else than Toronto with the possible exception of Montreal.

32Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
Well you know it's going to be a Dung show now and all the pressure in the world is on Luongo. If he has bad season off the hop he's in for the longest 10 years of any player in NHL history.

Considering the crap he put up with Vancouver it'd be out of the frying pan into the fire. Makes no sense.

33Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:08 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

If you are Luongo and know that Columbus just hired John Davidson, that's a guy who could talk him into coming. Flip Luongo for LA's 1st and Mason, and maybe a guy like Umberger and that would get it done.

34Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:10 pm

Hobiesens

Hobiesens
Sophomore
Sophomore

Burke hates long term contracts and bringing in Luongo at $5.3 mil a year until 2021 must have been too much. Ownership telling Burke to get the deal done and maybe he didn't want to.

35Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:If you are Luongo and know that Columbus just hired John Davidson, that's a guy who could talk him into coming. Flip Luongo for LA's 1st and Mason, and maybe a guy like Umberger and that would get it done.

Diddle yeah, I'd go there no problem. I love Davidson as a hockey mind and I like the direction the team is taking to be honest.

36Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Hobiesens wrote:Burke hates long term contracts and bringing in Luongo at $5.3 mil a year until 2021 must have been too much. Ownership telling Burke to get the deal done and maybe he didn't want to.

That's my theory as well.

The new ownership would want immediate changes to make the playoffs and I can't see Burke taking on such a contract (not to mention paying Gillis' price). He hates the cheat contracts like Luongo. Wouldn't surprise me if Gardiner and/or a 1st go the other way, I can't see Burke trading him either.

37Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:12 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:If you are Luongo and know that Columbus just hired John Davidson, that's a guy who could talk him into coming. Flip Luongo for LA's 1st and Mason, and maybe a guy like Umberger and that would get it done.

Diddle yeah, I'd go there no problem. I love Davidson as a hockey mind and I like the direction the team is taking to be honest.

The direction is right, there is no media, and he's totally out of the spotlight. If you are looking for a perfect spot for Luongo to play that's it right there.

38Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Davidson hasn't done anything in Columbus yet but they're a lot more credible now.

I agree with Neely that CBJ would be a good choice for those reasons.

39Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:15 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Luongo would bring a lot of stability to that organization as well and is exactly the player they need to get them through some lean years. Not like they are in any worse shape than Toronto either.

The thing is though Luongo may very well be on the downswing now and everyone but Toronto is avoiding him like the plauge.

40Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:27 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Nonnis is the new GM as per Bobby Mac

41Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:28 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Overheard at MLSE: "Hey guys let's just do what the Canucks did"

42Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:29 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

They do know that Nonnis almost ruined that team, right? lol

43Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:33 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Nonnis.... Laugh1

44Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

This is the greatest day.

All my anger from the lockout is largely gone from today's shenanigans from TO and I have a feeling the fun is just beginning.

45Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:35 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:This is the greatest day.

All my anger from the lockout is largely gone from today's shenanigans from TO and I have a feeling the fun is just beginning.

It sure is, old friend. Cheers

46Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:41 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:I don't get the timing at all.

The explanation that I'm hearing is that because his contract is about to be up for renewal, they don't think he'll have time to execute any of his plans (since the team needs an overhaul). Because of that, they had to get someone in that'll be able to carry out a plan. Sounds like he was gonna be done anyway.

47Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:47 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

MLSE also hired a player on another team to coach Toronto FC... this is around the same lines.

48Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs - Page 3 Empty Re: Brian Burke Fired by the Leafs Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:49 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Jurke gets to stick around as senior adviser. Laugh1

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 9]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum