GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+14
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
rooneypoo
LeCaptain
tim1_2
Ev
spader
sandysensfan
Hoags
NEELY
wprager
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
TheAvatar
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 67]

46NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:13 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
shabbs wrote:Can't see Fehr agreeing to Gary's idea of the players negotiating directly with the owners. I'm curious as to why Gary even suggested that.

Fehr has no choice but to ask the players if they want to meet separately with the owners. Fehr won't make this call, the players will. And after all the flak from players about how the sides must continue to meet, they damn well better accept the invitation.
I'm sure he'll prep them. It won't be a negotiating session, so no decisions would come out but more of a "let's talk and hear your concerns and talk about the issues".

I would hope they have a ref in there... it could get heated.

Who knows? It could result in them coming away further apart than they've ever been...but I think it's a good idea at this point. Kinda a last ditch effort to save the season.

47NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The "hail mary" pass before the season is done...

May as well try anything at this point...

Mediators gave up after only 2 days. Jeezus Diddle.

48NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:22 pm

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You shouldn't diddle Hay-Zeus.

49NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:24 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Ahhhhh!

50NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

"Why do you keep calling my Hay-Zeus?"

"That guy back there said Hayzeus."

"He wasn't saying HayZeus, he was saying 'Hey, Zeus!"

51NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:34 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Macramalla: If NHLPA wants to dissolve, my guess is that it elects to disclaim interest since almost instantly allows them to file antitrust lawsuit

https://twitter.com/EricOnSportsLaw/status/274580690622894081

I guess it will depend on how fast the NHLPA wants to move on this.

52NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:
shabbs wrote:Can't see Fehr agreeing to Gary's idea of the players negotiating directly with the owners. I'm curious as to why Gary even suggested that.

Just a tactic to cause friction with the union. I am sure there's a raging debate going on whether meeting the owners is a good idea or not.

Absolutely agree. It's actually a very clever tactic. It basically forces the players to accept, since the optics would be terrible if they don't. Further, it puts more pressure on any rifts that are already developing.

53NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Macramalla: If NHLPA wants to dissolve, my guess is that it elects to disclaim interest since almost instantly allows them to file antitrust lawsuit

I'd imagine their first move would be to file a suit to declare the lockout illegal.

54NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:47 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

I bet they won't even be able to agree to the "ground rules" for this players-owners only meeting and it won't happen.

55NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:30 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Players to decide on the owners-players only meeting by Sat...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=410675

56NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's Saturday. Have they decided?

57NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Sounds like PK will have a spot in sports beyond his playing career:

Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes wrote:

Some athletes are flat when they make the switch to TV. Not @PKSubban1 -- he was dynamite in his debut with us on Sportsnet.

58NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:00 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Anyone else starting to think that Fehr's real end-game is to abolish the cap? I'm starting to have a feeling that this is what he's gunning for.

59NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:It's Saturday. Have they decided?
It seems they will accept, under certain conditions...

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/nhl_may_try_new_tack_in_talks_ZiAbEvKV6BRRqVoy8YyTZK

Not a negotiation, more of a conversation.

60NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Anyone else starting to think that Fehr's real end-game is to abolish the cap? I'm starting to have a feeling that this is what he's gunning for.

I think either the NHL accepts a proposal on HIS terms or he will take on the system through the courts.

I do think the players have been driving the bus though(the last proposal supposedly was from the more moderate players) but he's worked up the players emotions and backed negotiations into a corner where the players feel they have no choice but to decertify and take legal action against the cap because accepting anything from the NHL would be "caving in".

I still think he will destroy the league as we know it, you only have to look at what he did with baseball so what he is capable of. He's not just negotiating a CBA here, there's a long term goal.

61NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:42 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

The players just got $10K from the NHLPA. That's not going to last very long for some of them. But are guys playing in the AHL eligible? If not, I'd be they are pissed off.

62NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:51 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Fehr didn't destroy baseball, but it took baseball a decade to fully recover. And baseball is like, well, like baseball and apple pie in the US. If hockey is set back 10 years in Canada, how far will it fall in the US? Enrollment in hockey in Canada is down -- cost is the prime factor. Soccer is on the way up. If Canada cannot dominate on the world stage like they used to, will interest continue to drop off?

63NHL CBA Talk - Page 4 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:45 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Anyone else starting to think that Fehr's real end-game is to abolish the cap? I'm starting to have a feeling that this is what he's gunning for.

I also believe that. He probably told the NHLPA he could win -- get rid of the Cap -- and have labour peace in the NHL.

Now tell me.. how many teams will be able to survive on what would be about 30 or 40% of HRR... as without a cap... teams will overpay and the players again will be getting 70% of HRR just like they did before 2004 lockout.

Fehr doesn't understand hockey at all. He and the NHLPA really don't care what happens to the game.

If they lose the Cap.. the big market rich teams will have all the star players and the other teams get what's left. Parity would be gone and so would revenue growth. They could be down to a 15 team league with no way to get back to 3 billion dollars... and about half of the current NHLPA won't have jobs. But Crosby, Stamkos et al will be okay... It's the role players who will be out of a job.

I can't see where the players think no Cap is good for the game... unless the superstars see themselves with a chance to win most of the time... and the rest never having that chance.

Don't they have a brain? Can't they figure that out? No way the Cap goes away.. IF they tried that.. there would be no NHL hockey for probably 3 yrs..

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 35 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum