GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

NHL CBA Talk

+14
Cap'n Clutch
PTFlea
rooneypoo
LeCaptain
tim1_2
Ev
spader
sandysensfan
Hoags
NEELY
wprager
shabbs
SeawaySensFan
TheAvatar
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Go down  Message [Page 35 of 67]

511NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:43 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkzIMpCBaU_9BV78NArnd07XmUXvvhjoMWc-Cax0PMeMcygpx

Can someone make the background invisible for me with this image?

512NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:54 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Kyle Turris has left his Finnish team and is returning, citing personal reasons.

513NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:04 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkzIMpCBaU_9BV78NArnd07XmUXvvhjoMWc-Cax0PMeMcygpx

Can someone make the background invisible for me with this image?

Not sure if this worked -- tried an onlien image converter and added transparency.

NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Iaza1110

514NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It worked, but somehow the left side got a bit cropped. I used iaza.com. Upload the image, then crop it, then add transparency (I picked the color white to be transparent, wit a 2% fuzz factor).

515NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:33 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Thanks Prager.

- Unknown Author

516NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:40 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

This? Edge didn't get cutoff like Prager's did.

NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Gm_xmas

I used GIMP.

517NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Kyle Turris has left his Finnish team and is returning, citing personal reasons.

Would say he is missing his fiance.

I assume these guys leaving are assuming the season is lost.. so why bother playing and being away from family and loved ones.

518NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:00 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:Live coverage of Don Fehr's speech on now... TSN and Sportsnet covering it...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl-lockout/nhl-lockout-coverage/

Why would they cover that. He is talking to a Union that almost destroyed the Auto Industry. Not the first or last time that Union demands did damage to their employer. But Unions don't care. There is really no need for them in this day and age.

They were first brought in for the minors many decades ago who were being mistreated by the mine owners. There are laws now to protect workers. All Unions are is a detriment to the economy.

Is Fehr looking for a new job?

He is a master manipulator. His idea of negotiations is to frustrate the other side to negotiate with itself. I guess it's working.. but I think that stops as of now.

Those players were close to a deal on Tuesday.. but Fehr told them to hold on for a better offer.

Personally I hope that better offer does not come and Bettman cancels the season.

There was nothing wrong with that offer. You want labour peace.. then you can have it for 8 - 10 yrs.

Fehr's theory of a 5-yr CBA was that younger players would get to negotiate their own CBA when this one expires.

The players would like nothing better than to have a work stoppage during the 100th anniversary of the NHL.. they don't give a damn.. as long as they get their $$$.

I have lost a lot of respect for the players...

519NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:01 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

sandysensfan wrote:
shabbs wrote:Live coverage of Don Fehr's speech on now... TSN and Sportsnet covering it...

Why would they cover that. He is talking to a Union that almost destroyed the Auto Industry. Not the first or last time that Union demands did damage to their employer. But Unions don't care. There is really no need for them in this day and age.

They were first brought in for the minors many decades ago who were being mistreated by the mine owners. There are laws now to protect workers. All Unions are is a detriment to the economy.

He is a master manipulator. His idea of negotiations is to frustrate the other side to negotiate with itself. I guess it's working.. but I think that stops as of now.

Those players were close to a deal on Tuesday.. but Fehr told them to hold on for a better offer.

Personally I hope that better offer does not come and Bettman cancels the season.

There was nothing wrong with that offer. You want labour peace.. then you can have it for 8 - 10 yrs.

Fehr's theory of a 5-yr CBA was that younger players would get to negotiate their own CBA when this one expires.

The players would like nothing better than to have a work stoppage during the 100th anniversary of the NHL.. they don't give a damn.. as long as they get their $$$.

I've tried to be quiet about this, but... please, just shut up. You have no clue what you're talking about, and this kind of drivel is offensive to anyone with half a brain.

No need for unions. Yeah, let's go back to the 1820s, because that worked out for everyone. Laugh1

Again, both sides are stupid in this, end of story. If you want to place blame, there's plenty to go around on both sides. The league is equally responsible for this, so please stop acting as a mouthpiece for Gary Bettman.

520NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:16 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sandysensfan wrote:

Unpopular as it may be, I'm gonna come right out and say I'm a Union man. All I can say is if not for Unions, there isn't even a minimum wage for non-union workers and those who pay well do so to keep their staff from organizing for the most part. Do you really think a company doesn't want to pay their people maybe a buck an hour or a bag of rice a month if they could?

Just because politicians keep repeating the line "in these economic times..." without really saying what that means doesn't mean the economy is all that bad. I'm spending more than ever just on gas... Oh yeah, the banks are making record profits too.

521NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:

I've tried to be quiet about this, but... please, just shut up. You have no clue what you're talking about, and this kind of drivel is offensive to anyone with half a brain.

No need for unions. Yeah, let's go back to the 1820s, because that worked out for everyone.
Laugh1

Again, both sides are stupid in this, end of story. If you want to place blame, there's plenty to go around on both sides. The league is equally responsible for this, so please stop acting as a mouthpiece for Gary Bettman.
That is quite the ignorant statement on your behalf, you can disagree but there is no need to be offensive and rude. You owe the previous poster an apology.

Your statement is also "drivel", stating that without unions we would have conditions like the 1820s. Labour laws are a tad bit different today than the 1820s. Unions are a necessary part of society, but to be fair, even the most ardent supporter of organized labour would have to admit that these organizations far exceed the role of protecting their members against unfair working conditions and providing collective bargaining. The fact that the large labour unions now actively participate in the political process through donations and endorsements without a vote from their membership, or try to drive public policy is what has caused backlash from non-union supporters in the middle class.

522NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:24 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:

No need for unions. Yeah, let's go back to the 1820s, because that worked out for everyone. Laugh1

I worked my entire life not in a Union. I got paid a lot more than minimum wage and kept my job because I did it competently.

I have taken economic and investment courses who have mentioned the info about Unions are a detriment to the economy.

I have my opinion... but I guess it is a wrong opinion... since I don't know what I'm talking about... You guys are always right.

523NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:35 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:

Unpopular as it may be, I'm gonna come right out and say I'm a Union man. All I can say is if not for Unions, there isn't even a minimum wage for non-union workers and those who pay well do so to keep their staff from organizing for the most part. Do you really think a company doesn't want to pay their people maybe a buck an hour or a bag of rice a month if they could?

Just because politicians keep repeating the line "in these economic times..." without really saying what that means doesn't mean the economy is all that bad. I'm spending more than ever just on gas... Oh yeah, the banks are making record profits too.

There was a time and place for them in the past... not so much anymore.

524NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:37 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

rooneypoo wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:

They needed them back then but now... not so much. People are educated, people have very specific skills, and people will pay out the Donkey for who ever makes them money.

I'm against people driving bolts into metal to make a car who get paid 40 dollars an hour. You need to know how yo use your hands and feet, they should be paid bare minimum.

525NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:37 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cherry rips Alfie for comments about vote:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/12/09/don-cherry-slams-daniel-alfredsson-over-nhlpa-vote

Heh heh.

526NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:11 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

There are labour laws but, sadly there quite often needs to be a union in place because the company is ignoring those laws. The lack of enforcement and the method of enforcement lends itself to abuse and therefore a need for unions.

- Unknown Author

527NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:31 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:

They needed them back then but now... not so much. People are educated, people have very specific skills, and people will pay out the Donkey for who ever makes them money.

I'm against people driving bolts into metal to make a car who get paid 40 dollars an hour. You need to know how yo use your hands and feet, they should be paid bare minimum.

Undoubtedly, there are all kinds of abuses and inequities that unions perpetuate. I myself am a victim of them in some ways -- I have old farts who are lousy teachers getting courses in front of me, when I have a terminal degree in my discipline, plenty of publications, and good teaching reviews, all because of seniority.

I get it. I get that there are things that are wrong with unions. But abolishing them is not the answer, and is an invitation to return to 1820s' style labour relations. Unions push wages and benefits up for everyone, regardless of whether or not you're in a union -- because the company you're in is competing against companies that do have unions.

At its most basic, labour deserves the right to organize to represent its collective interests, just like businesses have the right to do the same, or anyone else for that matter. People who think unions need to go are not thinking long term, and have not learned from history. If you want to be heard, you need a voice, and you need a mechanism to be that voice. For labour, it's unions. If you lose unions but keep the lobbies and special interest groups, what you have is not a level playing field, it's a field tilted heavily in favour of business or special interests. Denying labour a voice would be undemocratic and contrary to that basic right to organization and representation that we grant to every other group out there in society.

528NHL CBA Talk - Page 35 Empty Re: NHL CBA Talk Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:34 pm

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Oglethorpe wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:
sandysensfan wrote:

No need for unions. Yeah, let's go back to the 1820s, because that worked out for everyone.
Laugh1

That is quite the ignorant statement on your behalf, you can disagree but there is no need to be offensive and rude. You owe the previous poster an apology.

Your statement is also "drivel", stating that without unions we would have conditions like the 1820s. Labour laws are a tad bit different today than the 1820s. Unions are a necessary part of society, but to be fair, even the most ardent supporter of organized labour would have to admit that these organizations far exceed the role of protecting their members against unfair working conditions and providing collective bargaining. The fact that the large labour unions now actively participate in the political process through donations and endorsements without a vote from their membership, or try to drive public policy is what has caused backlash from non-union supporters in the middle class.

I'll apologize the second I hear the other poster apologize for filling up these boards, day after day, for months, with the same scripted nonsense.

I repeat: this lockout is the byproduct of two absolutely stupid parties playing a challenged game of chicken. They are both to blame, and looking to blame one more than the other is a chicken & egg problem. They're both at fault. Leave it at that, for Diddle's sakes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 35 of 67]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 51 ... 67  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum