GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Summer Olympics 2012

+9
Hoags
NEELY
spader
Amnesia021
Ev
SeawaySensFan
wprager
shabbs
sens4win
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 10]

61Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:51 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:I'd like FIFA to investigate the referee's conduct. This was a Norwegian ref and Norway's soccer has had a recent problem with match fixing:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/wires/08/05/2050.ap.soc.norway.match.fixing.0174/index.html

Have they not already come out to say they won't investigate or was that the Olympic competition committee or whatever they call themselves?

62Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:37 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Couple more medals -- a silver for Van Koeverden in the 1000 m kayak, and a bronze in the 1000 m canoe for Mark Aldershaw. Canada now with 13 medals (but still just that one gold in trampoline).

63Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:22 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:I'd like FIFA to investigate the referee's conduct. This was a Norwegian ref and Norway's soccer has had a recent problem with match fixing:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/soccer/wires/08/05/2050.ap.soc.norway.match.fixing.0174/index.html
FIFA in general has an issue with corruption and match fixing. So, it's laughable that FIFA are investigating this. I would not expect them to look at the ref or anything. No faith in that system at all. It's corrupt to the bone.

No suspensions for the Canadian girls at this time so they'll all be available for the Bronze game. Who knows what will happen after. What a joke.

64Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:23 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Another controversy. Boxing Canada says they will be appealing the decision in which Canadian boxer Custio Clayton lost 14-14 to hometown Freddie Evans, even though it appeared that Clayton had more than enough in the third round to overcome a slow first. The appeal will hinge on their contention that Evans was warned three times during the fight for pushing Clayton's head down with his forearms -- an AIBA rule stipulates that 3 warnings for the same infraction will result in an automatic warning penalty (2 points would then go to Clayton).

One decision has already been overturned on appeal at these games -- of course that was in favor of a US boxer. So, still keeping fingers crossed.
Appeal was denied. Some very odd rules on how ties are decided. Bah. Another frustrating loss.

65Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:41 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Another controversy. Boxing Canada says they will be appealing the decision in which Canadian boxer Custio Clayton lost 14-14 to hometown Freddie Evans, even though it appeared that Clayton had more than enough in the third round to overcome a slow first. The appeal will hinge on their contention that Evans was warned three times during the fight for pushing Clayton's head down with his forearms -- an AIBA rule stipulates that 3 warnings for the same infraction will result in an automatic warning penalty (2 points would then go to Clayton).

One decision has already been overturned on appeal at these games -- of course that was in favor of a US boxer. So, still keeping fingers crossed.
Appeal was denied. Some very odd rules on how ties are decided. Bah. Another frustrating loss.

Like I said, the US appeal was granted (but he lost in the QFs anyway so no medal). But the Canada appeal is denied.

What reason did they give for denying it? Not enough clout?

66Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:42 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Wait, no, it must be because stripping a win from an Indian and giving it to the American (cowboy?) was fine, but taking it from a Brit and giving it to the Canuck was not.

67Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Another bronze in wrestling - Carol Huynh - bringing our total to 14.

The women's soccer team escape any discipline action heading to their bronze-medal game against France. Thing is, will they have anything left?

Damian Warner set three personal bests during the first day of the decathlon, and sits in third.

Cameron Levins qualified for the men's 5000 m finals, with the 8th best qualifying time of the 15 qualifiers. Longshot.

Jessica Smith qualified for the women's 800 m semis. Another longshot.

Benefito and Filion (who got the bronze in the synchronized dive earlier) both advanced to the semis in the 10 m platform.

Millar finished ninth and Lamaze didn't even get to the last round. Millar says he's planning to compete in Rio in 2016; he will be 69.

68Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:03 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Canadian Women's Soccer team beats France 1-0 to take the Bronze. Well done ladies!

69Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:29 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Canadian Women's Soccer team beats France 1-0 to take the Bronze. Well done ladies!

Damn, I missed all of it -- meetings all morning. I hear it was a wild finish. The French hit crossbars and goalposts and were the better team, but the soccer gods figured they had to step in after that semifinal atrocity. And I hate myself for even thinking it, but wouldn't it be great if Japan humiliated the US team? No, no it wouldn't. But wouldn't it?

70Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We are also guaranteed another medal but I'm not clear on what (59 kg class -- could be wrestling, judo, weightlifting?)

Last edited by wprager on Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

71Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:52 am

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

569 KG? That's like 1100lbs!!

72Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Riprock wrote:569 KG? That's like 1100lbs!!

FFS -- Fat Finger Slipup.

73Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:09 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:Canadian Women's Soccer team beats France 1-0 to take the Bronze. Well done ladies!

Damn, I missed all of it -- meetings all morning. I hear it was a wild finish. The French hit crossbars and goalposts and were the better team, but the soccer gods figured they had to step in after that semifinal atrocity. And I hate myself for even thinking it, but wouldn't it be great if Japan humiliated the US team? No, no it wouldn't. But wouldn't it?

Why wouldn't that be awesome? Why do you hate yourself? USA is the NYY of international competition. Easy to hate.

74Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:46 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Because it's not their fault that the referee screwed up. Even without the penalty shot goal Rapinoe got them back even twice. Because they were arguably the stronger team (except they could not contain Sinclair).

My only beef is against the ref, NBC coverage and that one US player who made the diving hand gesture when one of the Canadian players got injured. Unsports(wo)manlike, especially in soccer. On that play the two players went up and when they came down the (somewhat large) US payer's foot came right down on the Canadian player's foot. That wasn't just stepped on, when only half the weight is on the foot, it was full weight, assisted by gravity. Yeah, it probably hurt and she stayed down for a bit. But come on, this is soccer.

Other than that, I have no beef against the US team. Did they play a bit rough? Only as far as the ref allowed them.

75Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

man I feel bad for that 1 white guy in the 200 mrace

76Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:05 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:So three more medals today, right? A gold (trampoline), bronze (bike pursuit) and now a silver (1500m swim). Brings our total to 10. The US is 10x bigger and have 49.

Outside of the LA Olympics (when the USSR boycotted so the medal counts were out of whack) the best showing for total medals was 22 in Atlanta, and the best for gold was 7 in Barcelona.

So, how many events are left? What are our chances at bettering our previous totals.

Time to revisit this post. Canada's count stands at 16. Not sure how many medal hopes are left but somehow I doubt we will get to 22. However our next best outing was 18, and there's probably still hope for that. What is really surprising, though, is the frightfully low count of gold medals. *ONE*, and it was in trampoline! Maybe the soccer team could have gotten gold if the US game went differently (but it didn't); Van Kouverden would have gotten gold in the 500 m race, except there's no longer a 500 m kayak event; Despatie is still in competition, right?

I have to admit, I would feel quite disappointed if we walked away from these games with one gold medal in trampoline.

P.S. Why is there Olympic Sailing competitions?

77Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:30 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is this Jason McCoombs or Ahmed Fareed?

Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 9293_110

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/athletes/athlete/jason-mccoombs/index.html

78Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 5 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:57 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

From what I could gather (man, TSN's Olympic schedule/results grid is awful to navigate -- bugs in the scripts) Mark de Jonge is through to the Finals in the 200 Kayak or Canoe. He set an Olympic Best time in his quarter final heat and was also 1st in his semi final heat (but just by a hair). He's definitely a medal favorite, and if he left something for the finals could get Canada's second gold.

Cochrane/Fournel qualified for the 200 m men's double kayak. They were 4th in their heat, so probably a long-shot for a medal at this point.

Karine Sergerie is through to the semis in TaeKwonDo.

Riley McCormick and Eric Sehn are in the 10 m platform preliminary round at 2PM today. Sehn is making his Olympics debut, and McCormick placed 16th in Bejing. Not sure if either of them are medal hopefuls -- doesn't look like it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum