GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

No NHLers at 2014 Olympics??

+4
Mojo
SensFan71
Cronie
The Silfer Server
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:45 am

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Just found this article at the Globe and Mail. It appears there is a rift between Gary Buttman and the IIHF head Rene Fasel, where Fasel would like the NHLers to once again participate, and Buttman appears to be on the fence.

Here is what is written:

The Globe and Mail wrote:DENVER — Rene Fasel will work day and night to make sure NHL players take part in the 2014 Sochi Olympics, the head of the International Ice Hockey Federation said Thursday.

Fasel could be looking at some long days ahead after NHL commissioner Gary Bettman gave a less-than-enthusiastic outlook on the league's players continuing to participate in the Games.

Speaking at the SportAccord convention, Fasel and Bettman had a frank and sometimes heated exchange that underscored the difficult negotiations ahead for the NHL to remain part of the Olympics.

“It can be a challenge or a nightmare (bringing the NHL, IIHF, NHLPA Players' Association and IOC together) and I take it as a challenge, a fantastic challenge and I will work day and night to have them (NHL players) in Sochi,” said Fasel.

The 2014 Games will be held in the Russian Black Sea resort of Sochi following next year's Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

But Bettman said: “It's not so easy to simply say ‘Let's go to the Olympics'. We shut down our season for two weeks to 17 days and there is a momentum to our season that is lost...it all comes to a screeching halt and we go off to the Olympics.

“No other league stops to go do this. In fact, baseball doesn't do it and it's no longer an Olympic sport. This is hard, it's not always a good experience and the benefits we've sometimes seen were not always worth what we've had to sacrifice.

“I don't think we get enough credit and I don't think the IOC (International Olympic Committee) tends to recognize how difficult it is.”

The NHL is committed to freeing players to compete in the Vancouver Games next year but future participation will have to be negotiated into the new collective bargaining agreement.

While players are keen to remain part of the Winter Olympics NHL owners, managers and coaches are much less eager and appear ready to end the experiment that began at the 1998 Nagano Games, when professionals were first allowed to take part.

Bettman said the NHL has invested a lot in the Olympics but is seeing diminishing returns, particularly when the Games are staged outside the U.S. and Canadian time zones.

The commissioner also scolded the IOC for not allowing the NHL to at least promote its participation in the Games.

Fasel accused Bettman of being more concerned about making money than growing the sport and said that was the main reason the NHL was reconsidering its Olympic involvement.

“You play over 4,000 games over the four years and you play 31 games at the Olympics,” said Fasel.

“During the season you shut down the league, you play the same number of regular season game. That means you don't have a loss of income for that season.

“Gary is looking at ‘What can I have as an income, how can I promote my brand?' ''
The attack promoted an immediate response from Bettman.

“It has nothing to do with money, it has to do with the competitiveness of our season,” he said. “If you have a team that has a dozen players participating in the Olympics, when we come back that team will be a little more banged up than a team that maybe sent one or two players to the Olympics.

“It's more about the integrity of our season. So for you to say it's only 31 games shows a little bit of disrespect for what the NHL product is and to our fans.”

Bettman actually brings up a couple of valid points. But I think it is still important to grow the game, and I believe that it would be beneficial if NHLers go to the Olympics. If the Americans do well, and they should with their solid core of youngsters, this could build momentum in terms of viewership for the league as a whole and the playoffs.

Last edited by Bass Destruction on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : formatting the article)

2No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:50 am

Cronie

Cronie
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

interesting piece... Thanks for bringing this Bass.
I'm sure many of us will be following the developments there closely.

All I can say is, I can't WAIT till Bettman is gone, whether by mutiny, old age or dismissed for severe incompetence.

3No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:08 am

Bettman may be using this as a pressure tactic in order to get the Russian Federation to sign some kind of fair player transfer agreement. You may not like Bettman but he is not stupid.

Having said that, I would love to stop sending NHLers to the Olympics.

4No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:28 am

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

RobbyJ wrote:Bettman may be using this as a pressure tactic in order to get the Russian Federation to sign some kind of fair player transfer agreement. You may not like Bettman but he is not stupid.

Having said that, I would love to stop sending NHLers to the Olympics.

I was always a big fan of the amateurs playing at the olympics, so I am on board with you Robby, pros taint everything that is the olympics, people that put their work aside for training all for in most cases less than 2 minutes of glory, depending on event. Then you see the NHLers pull up in their limos and such, just ruins the olympics in my opinion.

5No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:31 pm

if this happens, then Canada and the USA will never win a medal again. Russia, Sweden, Finland, and to a smaller extent Germany and Czech will be dominating.

6No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

I never liked the idea of not having professionals play in the Olympics. It should be the best physical representatives from each respective country. That is the true essence of the Olympics. So obviously I am a huge supporter of NHL players at the Olympics.

I don't understand why the NHL would start off this tradition of starting the season in Europe to gain international exposure but then pull back its players from playing in the biggest international tournament in the world. This is free advertising, why turn it down? The players want it, the fans want it, they need to do it.

7No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:51 pm

sennies1980

sennies1980
Prospect
Prospect

It will just be like the spengler cup!

http://talkinghockey.wordpress.com

8No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:02 pm

Thats cool, we could still send a bunch of players such as:

Scott Neidermeyer
Joe Sakic
Gary Roberts
Wes Walz
Glen Wesley
Trevor Linden
etc..

9No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:15 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

As the vast majority of Olympic athletes ARE amateurs, it makes sense to send Canada's best amateur hockey players, which would likely be a junior team. I disagree that the Europeans have an advantage, look at our juniors. They kicked Donkey at the Worlds not too long ago.

10No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:32 pm

beedub wrote:As the vast majority of Olympic athletes ARE amateurs, it makes sense to send Canada's best amateur hockey players, which would likely be a junior team. I disagree that the Europeans have an advantage, look at our juniors. They kicked Donkey at the Worlds not too long ago.
Because, if I understand correctly, players from the SEL, KHL, SM-Liga, DEL etc. are eligible, while all of Canada's best play in the NHL.

11No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:38 pm

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
beedub wrote:As the vast majority of Olympic athletes ARE amateurs, it makes sense to send Canada's best amateur hockey players, which would likely be a junior team. I disagree that the Europeans have an advantage, look at our juniors. They kicked Donkey at the Worlds not too long ago.
Because, if I understand correctly, players from the SEL, KHL, SM-Liga, DEL etc. are eligible, while all of Canada's best play in the NHL.

I agree that if pro players are eligible, then the NHL players should go, why not. But if they were to inforce an amateur rule, then Canada would still rule.

That having been said, I would be willing to pit our Juniors against KHL players, Swedish SuperLeague or any of the Euro pro leagues IMO. I imagine they would do very well

12No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Buttman *so* has to go. No, that wasn't a typo.

13No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:10 pm

beedub wrote:

I agree that if pro players are eligible, then the NHL players should go, why not. But if they were to inforce an amateur rule, then Canada would still rule.

That having been said, I would be willing to pit our Juniors against KHL players, Swedish SuperLeague or any of the Euro pro leagues IMO. I imagine they would do very well
I wouldn't, it would be boys against men.

14No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

beedub wrote:

I wouldn't, it would be boys against men.

I agree. Isn't that why there were some 50 years between Canada's last gold medal and their previous one?

15No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Mojo

Mojo
Rookie
Rookie

Most amateur athletes who participate in the Olympics are only "amateur" because their sports don't have professional leagues. If there were such a thing as a professional speed skating league, it would be filled with the same people who are currently called amateur.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum