GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

No NHLers at 2014 Olympics??

+4
Mojo
SensFan71
Cronie
The Silfer Server
8 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

16No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? - Page 2 Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:10 pm

beedub wrote:
The Guy With The Mustache wrote:
beedub wrote:As the vast majority of Olympic athletes ARE amateurs, it makes sense to send Canada's best amateur hockey players, which would likely be a junior team. I disagree that the Europeans have an advantage, look at our juniors. They kicked Donkey at the Worlds not too long ago.
Because, if I understand correctly, players from the SEL, KHL, SM-Liga, DEL etc. are eligible, while all of Canada's best play in the NHL.

I agree that if pro players are eligible, then the NHL players should go, why not. But if they were to inforce an amateur rule, then Canada would still rule.

That having been said, I would be willing to pit our Juniors against KHL players, Swedish SuperLeague or any of the Euro pro leagues IMO. I imagine they would do very well
I wouldn't, it would be boys against men.

17No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? - Page 2 Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

beedub wrote:
beedub wrote:As the vast majority of Olympic athletes ARE amateurs, it makes sense to send Canada's best amateur hockey players, which would likely be a junior team. I disagree that the Europeans have an advantage, look at our juniors. They kicked Donkey at the Worlds not too long ago.
Because, if I understand correctly, players from the SEL, KHL, SM-Liga, DEL etc. are eligible, while all of Canada's best play in the NHL.

I agree that if pro players are eligible, then the NHL players should go, why not. But if they were to inforce an amateur rule, then Canada would still rule.

That having been said, I would be willing to pit our Juniors against KHL players, Swedish SuperLeague or any of the Euro pro leagues IMO. I imagine they would do very well
I wouldn't, it would be boys against men.

I agree. Isn't that why there were some 50 years between Canada's last gold medal and their previous one?

18No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? - Page 2 Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Mojo

Rookie
Rookie

Most amateur athletes who participate in the Olympics are only "amateur" because their sports don't have professional leagues. If there were such a thing as a professional speed skating league, it would be filled with the same people who are currently called amateur.

19No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? - Page 2 Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:30 pm

Mojo wrote:

Most amateur athletes who participate in the Olympics are only "amateur" because their sports don't have professional leagues. If there were such a thing as a professional speed skating league, it would be filled with the same people who are currently called amateur.
Professional Amateurs. Like the Russians always were. Ahhhhh!

20No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? - Page 2 Empty Re: No NHLers at 2014 Olympics?? Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:36 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

As much as I dislike the Butt-meister, I respect the points he raised. Remember that Hasek's Olympic dream may have cost Ottawa a few years ago.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum