GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Summer Olympics 2012

+9
Hoags
NEELY
spader
Amnesia021
Ev
SeawaySensFan
wprager
shabbs
sens4win
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 10]

91Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:40 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:We rule the bronze!

Sadly, no. USA and Russia have 28 each (we have 12). Scaling back, France has 12 bronze, just like we do; they have 9 silver to our 5, so a little better. They also have 10 gold -- so they are 0 better. Must be the most "even" country (10-9-12).
Facepalm

92Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Facepalm indeed.

93Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:12 am

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote: Facepalm indeed.
Facepalm Facepalm

94Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:14 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote: Facepalm indeed.
Facepalm Facepalm

I'll see your Facepalm Facepalm and raise you Dammit!

Hell, I'm all in Puking2

95Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:14 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

It's sad when there's no hockey, isn't it.

96Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, just finished watching Taekwondo. They have 8 weight divisions in World competitions and only 4 in the Olympics. The Canadian guy was in the 80+ division. 80 kg is 176 lbs -- while that may be near to top-end for the average Korean male, it just doesn't cut it on a World-scale. So as a result, Coulombe-Fortier was going up against a guy who looked a bout 6" taller. At one point he clearly tagged the tall guy in the head with a beautiful kick and the blind refs didn't see it. The guy staggered around like it was a standing 8 count but it took an appeal and a review to award the 3 points. Then the Canadian fighter promptly got warned for alerting his coach that he should have gotten 3 (apparently you can't do that, but the other guy raised his hands in celebration every tie he connected, so isn't that the same thing?)

Anyhow, later on the tall guy misses the Canadian with a headshot but is immediately awarded 3 points, and it wasn't until the appeal and review that the refs saw that he clearly missed.

So the question is, why did they so quickly award the 3 points on a miss, while completely missing an almost TKO the other way?

Stupid judges. But I hope the tall guy goes through to the finals because then Fortier gets a shot at the bronze.

P.S. I took taekwondo for a little while and we were certainly taught how to kick but also how to strike with the fist/forearm/whatever. Yet in the Olympics you are only allowed to kick?

97Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, and before the taekwondo I watched a bit of the field hockey game. What a stupid, stupid sport. Lacrosse should be in the Olympics instead of this one. Ridiculous. Grown men running around the field hunched over using mini-sticks. One a penalty corner they put on Hannibal Lecter masks and have to go *inside* the goal behind the line. Those masks are just as ridiculous as the noseclips in synchronized swimming.

They've really got to get rid of some of the "sports":
- shotput, hammer, javelin, discus (they no-longer have relevance)
- shooting (hell, just get rid of the modern pentathlon and re-jig the decathlon)
- archery (don't let my daughter read this -- she's a big fan of Katniss)
- field hockey
- equestrian
- walk!!!

I'm sure there are others.

98Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:17 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Oh, and before the taekwondo I watched a bit of the field hockey game. What a stupid, stupid sport. Lacrosse should be in the Olympics instead of this one. Ridiculous. Grown men running around the field hunched over using mini-sticks. One a penalty corner they put on Hannibal Lecter masks and have to go *inside* the goal behind the line. Those masks are just as ridiculous as the noseclips in synchronized swimming.

- shooting (hell, just get rid of the modern pentathlon and re-jig the decathlon)
- field hockey
- equestrian
- walk!!!

How about get rid of the whole Olympics? A lot of it is silly to me too but it's not for me to judge what a sport is and what isn't a sport.

99Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:20 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Oh, and before the taekwondo I watched a bit of the field hockey game. What a stupid, stupid sport. Lacrosse should be in the Olympics instead of this one. Ridiculous. Grown men running around the field hunched over using mini-sticks. One a penalty corner they put on Hannibal Lecter masks and have to go *inside* the goal behind the line. Those masks are just as ridiculous as the noseclips in synchronized swimming.

- field hockey
- equestrian
- walk!!!

How about get rid of the whole Olympics? A lot of it is silly to me too but it's not for me to judge what a sport is and what isn't a sport.

I'm with SSF. Also, field hockey, wprager? Why?

100Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:08 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

My kid had control of the remote and I was a bit lethargic. But it was really funny, when they called a corner penalty kick (imagine like a penalty shot in hockey, but with all player on, and instead of standing by the boards, the defending team all piles into the goal and cannot move ahead of the goal line until the other team touches the ball) and all the defending players go behind the goal to retrieve their face shields, which looked like a modern update on Hanibal Lecter's mask.

Like this:

Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Normal

101Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Canada wins bronze in 4x100 relay only to get disqualified.

that's just awful Sad

102Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:44 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Canada is appealing, not sure if it will get anywhere. Bah.

103Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:02 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Appeal rejected. Rule is a rule. Step on the line, you're done.

104Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:06 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Was there any ruling in these Olympics that went *for* the Canadians? I think we should secede from the Commonwealth. Stop putting their Queen on our money. Some are blaming Harper.

105Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:07 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:Canada wins bronze in 4x100 relay only to get disqualified.

that's just awful Sad

That's OK, we've got too many as it is.

106Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:16 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Was there any ruling in these Olympics that went *for* the Canadians? I think we should secede from the Commonwealth. Stop putting their Queen on our money. Some are blaming Harper.
What does this have to do with the Commonwealth?

107Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:23 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Was there any ruling in these Olympics that went *for* the Canadians? I think we should secede from the Commonwealth. Stop putting their Queen on our money. Some are blaming Harper.
What does this have to do with the Commonwealth?

Games are in England. Rule Brittania and all that, ol' chap. Cheerio.

108Summer Olympics 2012  - Page 7 Empty Re: Summer Olympics 2012 Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:36 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

GB got disqualified in the relay from even making the final.

I wonder if the relay judges were Norwegian.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 10]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum