GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Real life Clutch 2nd installment

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hey all,

I debated putting the title as "A kick in the gut and a punch in the teeth" but figured this would be the better choice.

Bad news potentially. My wife's cancer is monitored with a blood test called CA125 and when it rises it indicates cancer. Her readings went from 15 to 36 to 66 and normal upper limit is 35. The oncologist feels it's likely the cancer is back it's just a matter of checking the scans every couple months until there's visible disease then it's Chemo again. Chemo upon recurrence is not great. ie Kick in the gutt.

Top it off we have EEG results for my daughter indicating seizures. It means referral to CHEO Neurology and likely more testing. Punch in the teeth.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:31 pm by wprager

Great news about your daughter.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the CA-125 to understand why they are not doing anything now. It's localized, you'd think they could try some radiation. Must be a reason why they are waiting. Although I've had experience a few times where the Canadian Medical community seems perfectly willing to sit and wait whereas their US counterparts keep looking for things to do.

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:59 am by shabbs

Great news Clutch.

tim1_2

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 am by tim1_2

Good news about your daughter, and hoping for the best for your wife!

You guys are awesome, keep your head up!

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:37 pm by Cap'n Clutch

wprager wrote:Great news about your daughter.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the CA-125 to understand why they are not doing anything now. It's localized, you'd think they could try some radiation. Must be a reason why they are waiting. Although I've had experience a few times where the Canadian Medical community seems perfectly willing to sit and wait whereas their US counterparts keep looking for things to do.

Good point. The catch phrase I hear all the time is "Standard of Care". Seriously though there's no evidence to support that early treatment improves outcomes so really all it would do is reduce her quality of life. The research shows that it's best to wait until something shows up on scans. They can't try radiation, even if it is localised, if they don't know where it is via MRI or CT Scan. The good news is IF it is localised then a second surgery is possible which should improve outcome.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:45 pm by Cap'n Clutch

MRI was this morning. Now we wait for results. Beer

Cap'n Clutch

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:59 am by Cap'n Clutch

Great news! Nothing on the MRI and the CA125 level has dropped slightly from 106 to 102. Wife is back to work full time now.

Appointment with my daughter's senior therapist revealed that he expects she will need no supports or therapy by grade 1 at the latest!!

She had her Birthday party yesterday and turns 4 for real on Wednesday.

wprager

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:47 pm by wprager

Time for a little celebration StickmanDancing MJ Wolfie Snoopydance

Cap'n Clutch

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:28 pm by Cap'n Clutch

It's amazing what is cause for a celebration right now. If I stop to think about it the news about my wife is really just that the cancer is taking longer to come back. Don't get me wrong it's still awesome news.

The new normal I guess.

shabbs

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:11 pm by shabbs

Good to hear Cap'n.

PTFlea

Post Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:14 pm by PTFlea

In these battles, a small change is cause for celebration. PartyTime!

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:29 am by Cap'n Clutch

Things humming along nicely. Our daughter's therapy and student loan payments should all be done just in time to pay for our new bay windows, dining room window, laundry room door and double front entrance doors. Got a deal too good to refuse. So good we had to sign a non-disclosure agreement on the price.

My daughter's communication and social skills are improving greatly and it's getting noticed at her weekday therapy sessions. Her Saturday therapy (social skills) is really paying dividends. She got her first report card for JK and only one area to work on which has to do with speaking more in French (Yeah, we have her in French school). She's otherwise in the satisfactory range for a "neurotypical" child which is amazing considering she's autistic.

So proud of the little peanut.

tim1_2

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:34 am by tim1_2

Great news, my friend! Congrats!

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:36 am by Cap'n Clutch

As for my wife. She's in a clinical trial which takes a look at samples of her tumour and blood and they make recommendations on targeted therapies which would be best for the genetic makeup of her particular tumour.

She's trying to get into another trial but the logistics are making it difficult. They want her to go to Toronto for a CT scan on the 15th despite her having one scheduled on the 16th in Ottawa for her oncologist. they also want her to go to an appointment the following Monday with one of the Clinical trial Investigators. So, drop everything, drive to Toronto Wednesday night, take Thursday off work, get the CT scan done, drive home and then drive back Sunday night for a Monday appointment.

We just don't get why they can't take the images from the CT that will be done in Ottawa and have a phone meeting with her.

Stay tuned. This is a trial she really wants to get into. It's a hormone blocker known to prevent recurrence in breast cancer which has been used for quite some time. The drug is well known and therefore the side effects are well known so it's very low risk if she's not in the placebo group.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:38 am by Cap'n Clutch

tim1_2 wrote:Great news, my friend! Congrats!

No payments and no interest until October next year too :D

wprager

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:06 am by wprager

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Didn't you just blow the NDA. Facepalm

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:56 pm by Cap'n Clutch

wprager wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Didn't you just blow the NDA. Facepalm

It was with regards to price only. I haven't even said percentages in savings so I think I'm good Smile

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:53 pm by Cap'n Clutch

So, it's back. The latest CT Scan revealed small tumors. Looks like she'll be back in Chemo soon.

wprager

Post Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:01 am by wprager

Keep strong. We're all pulling for you.

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum