GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Real life Clutch 2nd installment

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hey all,

I debated putting the title as "A kick in the gut and a punch in the teeth" but figured this would be the better choice.

Bad news potentially. My wife's cancer is monitored with a blood test called CA125 and when it rises it indicates cancer. Her readings went from 15 to 36 to 66 and normal upper limit is 35. The oncologist feels it's likely the cancer is back it's just a matter of checking the scans every couple months until there's visible disease then it's Chemo again. Chemo upon recurrence is not great. ie Kick in the gutt.

Top it off we have EEG results for my daughter indicating seizures. It means referral to CHEO Neurology and likely more testing. Punch in the teeth.

Share this post on: reddit

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:05 am by Cap'n Clutch

My daughter is getting government paid Speach and Occupational Therapy now!!! Still paying for the IBI but getting lots of financial support. One of my brothers and my father-inlaw pitched in enough to give her an optimal amount of therapy at least until school starts.

Good news on the school front too. She starts a pre-school program next week which will be in the same classroom, and I believe, the same teacher, as she'll have in September which is HUGE for an autistic child. Very little adjusting to new surroundings required in this case.

Also she will be integrating into a regular classroom which is awesome news also.

Post Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:18 am by Hoags

That's good to hear Capn !

I don't know if you caught an interview with Steve Warne(I think) and Shaun van Allen on Team 1200 but they both have autistic children and they talked about the ups and downs of support for autistic children in Ontario.

wprager

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:35 am by wprager

Didn't know about Vanner, but Warne has talked about it many times on air, in his tweets, and so on. It is amazing how little we still know about this condition. Hang in there, Clutch.

SeawaySensFan

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:47 am by SeawaySensFan

Me and Clutch will be working together soon, I think. I will be his rock.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:37 pm by Cap'n Clutch

Hoags wrote:That's good to hear Capn !

I don't know if you caught an interview with Steve Warne(I think) and Shaun van Allen on Team 1200 but they both have autistic children and they talked about the ups and downs of support for autistic children in Ontario.

I knew about Steve Warne because he does his segment called Adventures in Autism. I didn't know Shaun van Allen had an Autistic child though. Little known fact. Shaun's wife is a pharmacist and works at the Kanata Signature Center.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:38 pm by Cap'n Clutch

SeawaySensFan wrote:Me and Clutch will be working together soon, I think. I will be his rock.

Neat.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:42 pm by Cap'n Clutch

wprager wrote:Didn't know about Vanner, but Warne has talked about it many times on air, in his tweets, and so on. It is amazing how little we still know about this condition. Hang in there, Clutch.

One thing they do know is that Applied Behavioural Analysis is a proven and evidence based approach used to develop programs to help Autistic children. They also know that the optimal window for helping these children is between the ages of 2 and 5.

I'm already seeing some major changes in her communication. Instead of saying "you want tickles" meaning she wants me to tickle her she has actually said "Tickle me daddy" or has said "Pick me up" when she wants up.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:43 pm by Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Didn't know about Vanner, but Warne has talked about it many times on air, in his tweets, and so on. It is amazing how little we still know about this condition. Hang in there, Clutch.

One thing they do know is that Applied Behavioural Analysis is a proven and evidence based approach used to develop programs to help Autistic children. They also know that the optimal window for helping these children is between the ages of 2 and 5.

I'm already seeing some major changes in her communication. Instead of saying "you want tickles" meaning she wants me to tickle her she has actually said "Tickle me daddy" or has said "Pick me up" when she wants up.

P.S. We're working on correct use of the language (called shaping) and we'll tackle politeness later Wink

tim1_2

Post Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:52 am by tim1_2

Well this is some good news! Sounds like you guys are doing absolutely everything for your little girl! Good job!

Cap'n Clutch

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:54 am by Cap'n Clutch

Potty training update: Working on 4 days straight with no accidents.

SeawaySensFan

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:17 pm by SeawaySensFan

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Potty training update: Working on 4 days straight with no accidents.

What about your daughter? Real life Clutch 2nd installment - Page 2 164414

wprager

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:29 pm by wprager

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:Potty training update: Working on 4 days straight with no accidents.

Thunder stolen Dammit!

Cap'n Clutch

Post Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:20 pm by Cap'n Clutch

SeawaySensFan wrote:

Leftie

Cap'n Clutch

Post Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:38 pm by Cap'n Clutch

Just a quick update:

Wife's CA125 continues to climb but still only suspicious findings on the CT-Scan. Good news is it's localised and surgery is a definite possibility.

She goes for an MRI soon to see if they can get more detail.

Cap'n Clutch

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:46 pm by Cap'n Clutch

So my little girl is starting kindergarten soon. Just thought I'd update everyone on the situation:

My daughter is actually going to be transported too and from Therapy even though she won't attend school on those days! Fabulous news.
My wife went to an update meeting with my daughter's senior therapist and he told us, in his opinion, that our daughter won't need any kind of supports by grade 1 at the latest. Even more awesome right?

Wife is still in a holding pattern waiting for an MRI while the CA-125 continues to climb. So far no physical signs of tumour growth but it seems it's just a matter of time.

wprager

Post Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:31 pm by wprager

Great news about your daughter.

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the CA-125 to understand why they are not doing anything now. It's localized, you'd think they could try some radiation. Must be a reason why they are waiting. Although I've had experience a few times where the Canadian Medical community seems perfectly willing to sit and wait whereas their US counterparts keep looking for things to do.

shabbs

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:59 am by shabbs

Great news Clutch.

tim1_2

Post Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 am by tim1_2

Good news about your daughter, and hoping for the best for your wife!

You guys are awesome, keep your head up!

Post  by Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum