GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

12/13 Ottawa Senators Off-Season Signings Tracker

+8
dennycrane
Hoags
Ev
Riprock
NEELY
sandysensfan
wprager
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

I suppose nothing wrong with McKenna, but Lehner/Bishop is/are the #1 in Bingo, you just want a run of the mill back-up, which is precisely what McKenna is.

They might go out and sign an NCAA guy, and undrafted CHLer, an NHL/AHL FA, a ECHLer, a European, or even draft a Euro/over-age guy ready to go pro.

And NEELY, no reason they don't sign both Daugavins and Konopka for no other reason than to sit in the press box as 13/14th guys.

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

And re: Winchester, I get that you hope the Sens do a "honorable" thing and sign him even if he doesn't play at all this coming season, much like Minnesota did with Burns after he suffered the broken femur. But, that is completely Cheapskate Melnyk's decision. If he's really adamant about pinching every penny, doubtful he let's Murray sign Winchester on a possibility of playing as a gesture of good faith.

Also, this is only speculation on your part cause I don't think I have heard anything suggesting he isn't ready to play. Didn't he play in the playoffs?

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

i think they'll qualify Filatov, no harm in holding on to his NHL rights.

NEELY wrote:
I don't think they leave a guy, who gave his body and possibly his career, high and dry. I don't suspect he will be playing for a while yet but Ottawa isn't the type of organization that says "thanks but we're done with you now". They will waste a contract on Winchester if for no other reason than to get his career and life back on track.

They would've resigned Leclaire if they really believed that.

NEELY wrote:I don't think there is much of a chance of Daugavins being back. Depends what they do with Konopka IMO. Basically fighting out for the 13th, maybe even the 14th forward.

I agree, Daugavins is nothing special outside of his contribution in the locker room.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Sucks that there's no room for Daugavins. I liked him on the ice and off the ice.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Seems the Sens like him off the ice too.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:Seems the Sens like him off the ice too.

The players?

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

As in 'don't play - we'll put in an untested rookie instead'.

I'd like to see them keep KD but how many players like that do you need?

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Haha, true enough. He should have played in the NY series for sure.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Hoags wrote:i think they'll qualify Filatov, no harm in holding on to his NHL rights.

NEELY wrote:
I don't think they leave a guy, who gave his body and possibly his career, high and dry. I don't suspect he will be playing for a while yet but Ottawa isn't the type of organization that says "thanks but we're done with you now". They will waste a contract on Winchester if for no other reason than to get his career and life back on track.

They would've resigned Leclaire if they really believed that.

NEELY wrote:I don't think there is much of a chance of Daugavins being back. Depends what they do with Konopka IMO. Basically fighting out for the 13th, maybe even the 14th forward.

I agree, Daugavins is nothing special outside of his contribution in the locker room.

Leclaire was an absolute disaster and did nothing for the Sens. Winchester has done everything asked and then some. Huge difference. Look what they did with Regin.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:
Filip Kuba - I'd keep him on a 1-yr deal, w/o a NMC/NTC.

I don't think Kuba will accept a 1-yr deal at this point, unless he plans to retire. After the good year he just had, I don't think he'll have trouble finding work elsewhere if we don't offer him more than one year.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I think we easily cold offer him 2 years, but I also think he wants a retirement contract, which would be 3. His son is playing in the KMHA and I doubt he'd get similar opportunities in some of the US markets, so who knows. Mind you, if he plays two years in Ottawa and keeps in good shape he could very well get another year somewhere -- he is not a big hitter, shot-blocking machine, so his career follows a different trajectory than someone like A-Train.

In two years' time I think Phillips may be gone and we'll have Cowen and Borowiecki (if he works out) and possibly Wiercioch. He may still be welcomed as a calming presence on the back-end.

And if he wins the Cup with Ottawa that'll certainly open the door to more opportunities for him Smile

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Filatov signed a new deal in Russia. Thank God. Not that anyone on this site was wrong about it but this will shut a lot of other people up. He's not coming back, he's a bust.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Filatov signed a new deal in Russia. Thank God. Not that anyone on this site was wrong about it but this will shut a lot of other people up. He's not coming back, he's a bust.

Stereotypical Russian player does stereotypical Russian player thing.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Filatov signed a new deal in Russia. Thank God. Not that anyone on this site was wrong about it but this will shut a lot of other people up. He's not coming back, he's a bust.

Sens need to cut their losses and not qualify this guy. Thanks but no thanks. The trend isn't good when guys like Tarasenko and kuznetsov are staying put in russia....oh and filatov. Save the contracts for the guys who want to work hard and make it in the best league.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:

Sens need to cut their losses and not qualify this guy. Thanks but no thanks. The trend isn't good when guys like Tarasenko and kuznetsov are staying put in russia....oh and filatov. Save the contracts for the guys who want to work hard and make it in the best league.

well if they qualify him, they aren't giving him a contract. But I doubt they qualify him.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Michallica wrote:

well if they qualify him, they aren't giving him a contract. But I doubt they qualify him.

you're right but then again who's to say if his camp accepts it or not....they can accept it and then still stay put in russia. Though there's no way he's taking a contract that isn't one-way.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

He was never going to be qualified. Great risk to take but cut your loses and move on. They gave up a 3rd, oh well. Still make the deal every day of the week.

Fact of the matter is Filatov isn't an NHL player and never was. His hockey IQ isn't all that high, doesn't read the play very well, and refuses to do the things needed to succeed in the NHL. Tons of tools, no tool box.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I propose a Filatov ban. From this day on, the word Filatov will be censored. Or all posts with Filatov will be deleted.

I suggest "Amanda Bynes" in place of "Filatov"

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum