GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Gaborick rejects massive deal

+15
TheAvatar
Jordo
Cronie
rooneypoo
Senatorsfan56
Acrobat
wprager
drive2thenet
smash88
dennycrane
PKC
Hayden
SensGirl11
shabbs
PTFlea
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

16Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:29 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

smash88 wrote:yeah I agree, but I think it's gonna take a pretty huge offer in order to get him... should be interesting!
I don't think so. The fact that he turned down such a long and rich offer makes it clear he does not want to be there and will be gone when he becomes a UFA. It will be in their interests to move him quickly and get as much as they can.

17Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:57 pm

drive2thenet

Prospect
Prospect

504Heater wrote:10 years 80 million rejected? What the hell is this? Disgusting.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_10673158?source=rss

He will absolutely be traded - and if you want betting times - before the December roster freeze.

The term is ridiculous. The money more so. But given the current economic climate, that $80M/10 year contract is going to look really good in a year. Minnesota is stupid to offer that. I can see the overall cap going DOWN for the next 2 years. The NHL has always been a gate-driven league, and with the economic meltdown in the US, I can't see how the current cap is going to go in any direction but DOWN.

18Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:20 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

drive2thenet wrote:
The term is ridiculous. The money more so. But given the current economic climate, that $80M/10 year contract is going to look really good in a year. Minnesota is stupid to offer that. I can see the overall cap going DOWN for the next 2 years. The NHL has always been a gate-driven league, and with the economic meltdown in the US, I can't see how the current cap is going to go in any direction but DOWN.

Going to look good for whom? Gaborik? Yeah, for darn sure.

The current economic downturn will not only drive the cap down immediately, but it will probably put a few teams out of business as in the medium-term.

The loonie is below 85 cents, that's a 15% drop from a short time ago. 15% of 30% of league revenues is 4.5% drop in revenue. Since the cap s 55% of revenue, that's an 8% drop in the cap. That's huge!

19Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:52 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Diddle I can't imagine the cap going down - there will be so many more waivers and boyouts than we saw this year - AHL teams are going to be awesome.

Lots and lots and lots and lots of escrow will be eaten up if it goes down 8%. affraid

20Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:04 pm

dumbass

21Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:18 am

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

I really hope this guy dosen't come here... I see Yashin all over again, but made of glass, even worse!

22Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:48 pm

Acrobat

Acrobat
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
drive2thenet wrote:

Going to look good for whom? Gaborik? Yeah, for darn sure.

The current economic downturn will not only drive the cap down immediately, but it will probably put a few teams out of business as in the medium-term.

The loonie is below 85 cents, that's a 15% drop from a short time ago. 15% of 30% of league revenues is 4.5% drop in revenue. Since the cap s 55% of revenue, that's an 8% drop in the cap. That's huge!

The math made sense until the end - if it's 4.5% less revenue, then the drop is equally 4.5% for owners (non-cap expense & profit) and players (cap). The thing is that until the cap actually drops, the owners will keep giving out the big contracts because they can always buy out, trade, or lend players to the KHL. Besides, escrow rules protect them from themselves for one (current) year.

23Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:02 am

what happened to playing for the love of hockey? i could easily live of 4 million a year. and this guy is made of glass, how does he turn down ten years? Minny fans are awesome... it just doesn't make sense

24Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Senatorsfan56

Prospect
Prospect

Tukker wrote:what happened to playing for the love of hockey? i could easily live of 4 million a year. and this guy is made of glass, how does he turn down ten years? Minny fans are awesome... it just doesn't make sense

Gaberik is a stupid head. Bryan Murray should trade for Erik Cole. Erik Cole is a good player. I know what I am talking about. Erik Cole should come to the Senators.

25Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:32 pm

Senatorsfan56 wrote:
Tukker wrote:what happened to playing for the love of hockey? i could easily live of 4 million a year. and this guy is made of glass, how does he turn down ten years? Minny fans are awesome... it just doesn't make sense

Gaberik is a stupid head. Bryan Murray should trade for Erik Cole. Erik Cole is a good player. I know what I am talking about. Erik Cole should come to the Senators.
this is a fake account. even the real SF56 wasnt that stupid. and he was over his cole fetish

26Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:05 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

While revenue may be down 10% in Canada due to a falling dollar, ticket prices were given big increases in Toronto and Montreal. Prices are also high in the other Canadian cities, so I imagine this year's drop in the dollar will be cancelled out by increases.

I think the cap will stay the same for 09-10, but I could see it dropping after that.

27Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:06 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

I'd sooner see Gaborik reject a contract because he doesn't want to play somewhere. It would be worse if he TOOK the money, despite not wanting to be there.

28Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:35 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

dennycrane wrote:While revenue may be down 10% in Canada due to a falling dollar, ticket prices were given big increases in Toronto and Montreal. Prices are also high in the other Canadian cities, so I imagine this year's drop in the dollar will be cancelled out by increases.

I think the cap will stay the same for 09-10, but I could see it dropping after that.

Very interesting. I didn't realize that.

29Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:41 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

dennycrane wrote:I'd sooner see Gaborik reject a contract because he doesn't want to play somewhere. It would be worse if he TOOK the money, despite not wanting to be there.
I think a lot of people are mis-reading this as him being greedy... but he just does not want to stay in Minny. And I'm not surprised. If I was in his position, I'd probably do the same and try to get to a better hockey market or a better team that would be more accommodating for my style of play.

30Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:47 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:
dennycrane wrote:I'd sooner see Gaborik reject a contract because he doesn't want to play somewhere. It would be worse if he TOOK the money, despite not wanting to be there.
I think a lot of people are mis-reading this as him being greedy... but he just does not want to stay in Minny. And I'm not surprised. If I was in his position, I'd probably do the same and try to get to a better hockey market or a better team that would be more accommodating for my style of play.

I don't think a better hockey market exists, unless perhaps the Canadian cities, but I highly doubt he likes the style, he seems to need a change of scenary for whatever reason.

Good for Minny, don't screw this up, get back a nice, solid package with 2 or even possibly 3 NHL players or do a superstar for superstar trade with someone.

31Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:53 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Minny needs to move fast if they want to maximize on his return though. If he gets hurt... they won't be able to do much and his value goes down. But if he goes on a rip and lights it up... his value goes up. Tough situation.

32Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:56 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

shabbs wrote:Minny needs to move fast if they want to maximize on his return though. If he gets hurt... they won't be able to do much and his value goes down. But if he goes on a rip and lights it up... his value goes up. Tough situation.

Yeah, I would certainly drop the line in the water right now and see what kind of proposals I got. A Foligno, Winchester, Vermette trade wouldn't be awful for Minny, but I still have a feeling they deal for a D-man like Bouwmeester (how perfect is that for both sides?) or Kaberle (if he'll waive his NTC), then ship off one or two of their D like Johnsson or Schultz and perhaps a pick for a winger.

33Gaborick rejects massive deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Gaborick rejects massive deal Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:42 pm

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

504Heater wrote:
shabbs wrote:Minny needs to move fast if they want to maximize on his return though. If he gets hurt... they won't be able to do much and his value goes down. But if he goes on a rip and lights it up... his value goes up. Tough situation.

Yeah, I would certainly drop the line in the water right now and see what kind of proposals I got. A Foligno, Winchester, Vermette trade wouldn't be awful for Minny, but I still have a feeling they deal for a D-man like Bouwmeester (how perfect is that for both sides?) or Kaberle (if he'll waive his NTC), then ship off one or two of their D like Johnsson or Schultz and perhaps a pick for a winger.

They need scoring help. I can't possibly imagine them picking up more defensemen in a trade for Gaborik.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum