GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed)

+11
dennycrane
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
spader
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
tim1_2
wprager
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 17]

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:it's a little extreme yes, but iPhone is the best smart phone put there. I'd take that all day long over the BB Bold 9700. There's a reason everyone is copying the iPhone type user interface.

Things that make me want to smash by BB to pieces:
-reboot required after installing apps
-slooooooooow as hell
-camera et all simply shyte
- corp email address lookup - it's really really bad at this - very frustrating
- the browser is pretty weak - although alot better on BBOS6, but still much weaker than mobile Safari.
- so little memory, locks up the device every once in a while
- AT&T recommends taking the battery out once a week to cold reboot -- uhhmmmm - yeah -- right...

I could go on and on. My company feels we need to use these pieces of sh!t, so that's the only reason I have one. I'm waiting with much anticipation for Blackberry to go tango uniform so I can be rid of this and get something better. Iphone or Android phone with BBES support would be sooooooooo gooooooood.

In the meantime, I want to get a Playbook to marry with this thing so it makes my using it more comfortable.
The reboots are the nature of the OS underneath. Can't do much about that. The QNX core with BB10 will change all that. iOS has the advantage of OSX influence. The camera on the 9700 is actually very good IMO, better than the iPhone 3GS and 4. Don't compare it to the iPhone 4S's camera, the 9700 came out in 2009 remember. I've never had issues with corp email look up on the 9700, nor slowness - that may be due to corp issues or some rogue apps. The browser has always been weak, that has never been a RIM strong point. My 9700 was rock solid when I was using it, especially for calls, email and communictions in general, which is where the BB shines. And of course, it's legendary battery performance. Try going a whole day on an iPhone with one charge. No way, no how. And you can't pop an extra battery in either.

If I want cool apps and other fun stuff, I fire up iPod Touch. Best of both worlds.

You hear bad and good on each side. I simply can't stand the iOS interface and lack of ability to customize anything about it.
\\

my BB battery doesn't last a day. My wife's iphone 4 last 2-3 days easy.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:my BB battery doesn't last a day. My wife's iphone 4 last 2-3 days easy.
Then there's something seriously wrong with your BB's battery.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

I'm not sure the battery on mine would last a day, either. The problem may be the settings and the "new shiny toy" factor. I was looking through the settings and the backlight was jacked up way too high. I could certainly reduce it (I reduced it a bit, will do even more later). Because it's new I keep playing with it. If you leave it alone and just use it for phone/messages it should last longer.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Lots of things you can do to extend your battery life:

http://crackberry.com/ten-tips-and-tricks-extend-your-blackberry-battery-life

Backlight is one for sure. If you have a lot of apps running in the background, refreshing all the time, that can be a factor too.

Everyone's usage is different.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

There are some apps that just don't seem to turn off. Is there a reason the browser is *always* on?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:There are some apps that just don't seem to turn off. Is there a reason the browser is *always* on?
The core BBOS apps will always show. Browser, BBM, Phone and Messages will always be running.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just downloaded vlingo this morning. It's currently available for free with all the premium features enabled. Pretty good deal!

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

EDIT: Found someone to take over my contract
Smile I'M FREEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Last edited by Riprock on Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Just found out that one of Shabbs' recommended apps -- Blackbery Protect -- does not work on enterprise networks. Oh, well.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Just found out that one of Shabbs' recommended apps -- Blackbery Protect -- does not work on enterprise networks. Oh, well.
That's fine. The BES setup will do the same thing BlackBerry protect offers as far as data backup projection. The BES keeps you safe. Wink

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Just found out that one of Shabbs' recommended apps -- Blackbery Protect -- does not work on enterprise networks. Oh, well.
That's fine. The BES setup will do the same thing BlackBerry protect offers as far as data backup projection. The BES keeps you safe. Wink

See the media server capability on 7.1?

Ole!

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Watch for an app like the one from the Weather Channel that is constantly updating in the background. That can eat up battery life.

Last edited by dennycrane on Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michallica wrote:
shabbs wrote:

See the media server capability on 7.1?

Ole!
Yeah, pretty slick. The magic of DLNA.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

need to get that Dung on playbook now

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Michallica wrote:need to get that Dung on playbook now
I call that the magic of an HDMI cable.

Wink

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What is this 7.1 and do I have it (or will I get it)?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:What is this 7.1 and do I have it (or will I get it)?
It will deployed as an upgrade eventually by your carrier (Rogers I assume).

Some of us have installed leaked versions of the 7.1 OS on our BBs. Not for the faint of heart.

You have a BES connected phone, I highly suggest you do not try any sort of OS upgrade on your own.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:What is this 7.1 and do I have it (or will I get it)?
It will deployed as an upgrade eventually by your carrier (Rogers I assume).

Some of us have installed leaked versions of the 7.1 OS on our BBs. Not for the faint of heart.

You have a BES connected phone, I highly suggest you do not try any sort of OS upgrade on your own.

Don't worry, I won't. I barely have time to read the tutorials, so there are still things I haven't even figured out, yet. Like what's the quickest way to delete an e-mail. Right now I have to either select or click and display it, then I hit the BB key (not sure what to call it), then D to get to the Delete menu, then the main center key (again, don't know what to call *that one*) to confirm the delete action on mobile and on the server (this is for personal mail, the enterprise mail doesn't delete on the server, just the BB).

So that's 3 key clicks, after selecting it. I get lots of notifications that I don't normally care about (broken builds, successful builds, code reviews that I may not care about -- certainly not on the mobile). I guess I should just ignore those since I'm not really deleting (have to delete again when I get to Outlook). But for my personal e-mail I'd like to have a one-click delete. Is that possible?

P.S. Is there any way to disable the typing assistant or whatever it's called when I'm entering URLs or search parameters?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum