GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed)

+11
dennycrane
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
spader
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
tim1_2
wprager
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 17]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Hey, Shabbs, where do I find BerryWeather? I searched the BB App World and didn't find it.
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/1062/?lang=EN

Also called BeWeather.

Ah, that one I *did* find. How is the free version different from the $ one?

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Prager - take the time to read the manual and get to understand the BB OS. It is different. Much like picking up an Android phone.

Don't worry, we'll have you loading up the latest leaked OS in no time. Not to worry. Heh heh.

OS 7.1 now has a WiFi hotspot functionality and other cool stuff.

Wink

Also, be sure to install Desktop Manager and sync/backup regularly.

Also has blackberry media server (can be accessed by PS3!) and newest bridge app allows you to remote control your playbook or computer or anything it can use bluetooth with.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Hey, Shabbs, where do I find BerryWeather? I searched the BB App World and didn't find it.
http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/1062/?lang=EN

Also called BeWeather.

Ah, that one I *did* find. How is the free version different from the $ one?
The differences are outlined here:

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/5350/?lang=EN

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hoags wrote:Using BB OS after using Apple IOS is like going to a black and white tube TV from a 70" 1080P plasma.

I like the physical keyboard that's about it.
HA! A little extreme wouldn't you say...

Wink

Ahhhhh!

Also, I don't think there is a 70" plasma in existence for consumers...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:So, what I gather from the BB threads, is that the BB is good for incredibly complex, inefficient things, whereas the iPhone is good if you want to be able to do actual stuff, like choose which network to connect to.
Heh. I've never had any issues connecting to various networks. I have over 20 network profiles on my BB... easy managment. I think Prager was suffering from "new BB user" syndrome. Wink

Yeah, very much so. I didn't fare much better with my kid's iPod. Still don't know why, whenever he plugs it into the docking station on his clock radio (just to recharge) it immediately starts playing. Because of this he simply doesn't plug it in, which means whenever he thinks about using it the battery is dead, so he pretty much doesn't use it. $300 down the drain, except for when I still rode my bike to work and "borrowed" it.

Quick question, Shabbs. I d/l BeWeather, but I can't figure out how you got it to display the temperature on the home screen. By the way, is there a guide somewhere what all the screen "areas" are called (you know, like in Windows you've got the task bar, the sys tray, the quick-launch are, etc.)

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:
shabbs wrote:Prager - take the time to read the manual and get to understand the BB OS. It is different. Much like picking up an Android phone.

Don't worry, we'll have you loading up the latest leaked OS in no time. Not to worry. Heh heh.

OS 7.1 now has a WiFi hotspot functionality and other cool stuff.

Wink

Also, be sure to install Desktop Manager and sync/backup regularly.

Also has blackberry media server (can be accessed by PS3!) and newest bridge app allows you to remote control your playbook or computer or anything it can use bluetooth with.

I don't even bother with media servers since my PS3 is not wired, and it's just painful. I stick on a USB stick and it works much, much better.

That said, is there a BB app for a PS3 remote control?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Quick question, Shabbs. I d/l BeWeather, but I can't figure out how you got it to display the temperature on the home screen. By the way, is there a guide somewhere what all the screen "areas" are called (you know, like in Windows you've got the task bar, the sys tray, the quick-launch are, etc.)
Under the main options there should be settings for the homescreen icon. In there you'll see all the settings for info, placement etc...

As for the screen areas, not sure if there is a guide. The getting started info should lay it all out for you.

http://helpblog.blackberry.com/2011/08/blackberry-7-getting-started-guide/

The booklet that came with the phone should also have all that in there.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
Hoags wrote:Using BB OS after using Apple IOS is like going to a black and white tube TV from a 70" 1080P plasma.

I like the physical keyboard that's about it.
HA! A little extreme wouldn't you say...

Wink

Ahhhhh!

Also, I don't think there is a 70" plasma in existence for consumers...

it's a little extreme yes, but iPhone is the best smart phone put there. I'd take that all day long over the BB Bold 9700. There's a reason everyone is copying the iPhone type user interface.

Things that make me want to smash by BB to pieces:
-reboot required after installing apps
-slooooooooow as hell
-camera et all simply shyte
- corp email address lookup - it's really really bad at this - very frustrating
- the browser is pretty weak - although alot better on BBOS6, but still much weaker than mobile Safari.
- so little memory, locks up the device every once in a while
- AT&T recommends taking the battery out once a week to cold reboot -- uhhmmmm - yeah -- right...

I could go on and on. My company feels we need to use these pieces of sh!t, so that's the only reason I have one. I'm waiting with much anticipation for Blackberry to go tango uniform so I can be rid of this and get something better. Iphone or Android phone with BBES support would be sooooooooo gooooooood.

In the meantime, I want to get a Playbook to marry with this thing so it makes my using it more comfortable.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Quick question, Shabbs. I d/l BeWeather, but I can't figure out how you got it to display the temperature on the home screen. By the way, is there a guide somewhere what all the screen "areas" are called (you know, like in Windows you've got the task bar, the sys tray, the quick-launch are, etc.)
Under the main options there should be settings for the homescreen icon. In there you'll see all the settings for info, placement etc...

As for the screen areas, not sure if there is a guide. The getting started info should lay it all out for you.

The homescreen icon is just for the icon. When you select it then you can specify what will appear on the bar above the applications. In your screen shot you have weather info (as well as the battery meter info)in between the speaker and magnifying glass icons (don't know what that bar is called).

Maybe you have the $$ version.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:...
I could go on and on. My company feels we need to use these pieces of sh!t, so that's the only reason I have one. I'm waiting with much anticipation for Blackberry to go tango uniform so I can be rid of this and get something better. Iphone or Android phone with BBES support would be sooooooooo gooooooood.

In the meantime, I want to get a Playbook to marry with this thing so it makes my using it more comfortable.

"... tango uniform" Laughing3

Is that an auto-replacement (if so, not one of mine).

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

The homescreen icon is just for the icon. When you select it then you can specify what will appear on the bar above the applications. In your screen shot you have weather info (as well as the battery meter info)in between the speaker and magnifying glass icons (don't know what that bar is called).

Maybe you have the $$ version.
Sorry, the option is under "Homescreen Wallpaper". Perhaps the free version does not have that.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:it's a little extreme yes, but iPhone is the best smart phone put there. I'd take that all day long over the BB Bold 9700. There's a reason everyone is copying the iPhone type user interface.

-slooooooooow as hell
- the browser is pretty weak - although alot better on BBOS6, but still much weaker than mobile Safari.
- AT&T recommends taking the battery out once a week to cold reboot -- uhhmmmm - yeah -- right...

The reboots are the nature of the OS underneath. Can't do much about that. The QNX core with BB10 will change all that. iOS has the advantage of OSX influence. The camera on the 9700 is actually very good IMO, better than the iPhone 3GS and 4. Don't compare it to the iPhone 4S's camera, the 9700 came out in 2009 remember. I've never had issues with corp email look up on the 9700, nor slowness - that may be due to corp issues or some rogue apps. The browser has always been weak, that has never been a RIM strong point. My 9700 was rock solid when I was using it, especially for calls, email and communictions in general, which is where the BB shines. And of course, it's legendary battery performance. Try going a whole day on an iPhone with one charge. No way, no how. And you can't pop an extra battery in either.

If I want cool apps and other fun stuff, I fire up iPod Touch. Best of both worlds.

You hear bad and good on each side. I simply can't stand the iOS interface and lack of ability to customize anything about it.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I was really (and I mean, *REALLY*) turned off Apple products when I started filling up my son's iPod with music.

- What do you mean, I can't just copy MP3s to it?
- Why do I have to install iTunes? I don't plan on buying anything there.
- What do you mean, I can't just install iTunes on my son's laptop and teach *him* how to add more crap to his library (initially I was using my laptop to transfer my CDs to his iPod).

I *hate* that crap.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
it's a little extreme yes, but iPhone is the best smart phone put there. I'd take that all day long over the BB Bold 9700. There's a reason everyone is copying the iPhone type user interface.

-slooooooooow as hell

Wow you just posted my thoughts exactly !!

The device is great for e-mail, messaging and phone calls. Anything else .... ugh Puking2

Opera Mini is a decent browser for it, the official one blows.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:I was really (and I mean, *REALLY*) turned off Apple products when I started filling up my son's iPod with music.

- What do you mean, I can't just copy MP3s to it?
- Why do I have to install iTunes? I don't plan on buying anything there.
- What do you mean, I can't just install iTunes on my son's laptop and teach *him* how to add more crap to his library (initially I was using my laptop to transfer my CDs to his iPod).

I *hate* that crap.
Yeah, iTunes is an interesting beast. If you don't manage your music the iTunes way, it's very frustrating. I still can't stand it to this day but live with it to get stuff on my iPod. It is cool though the way it integrates with Apple TV and the Home Sharing. Apple TV is really cool, and got even better once I jailbroke it and put XBMC on it. Now it's actually useful. Wink

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:it's a little extreme yes, but iPhone is the best smart phone put there. I'd take that all day long over the BB Bold 9700. There's a reason everyone is copying the iPhone type user interface.

-slooooooooow as hell

The reboots are the nature of the OS underneath. Can't do much about that. The QNX core with BB10 will change all that. iOS has the advantage of OSX influence. The camera on the 9700 is actually very good IMO, better than the iPhone 3GS and 4. Don't compare it to the iPhone 4S's camera, the 9700 came out in 2009 remember. I've never had issues with corp email look up on the 9700, nor slowness - that may be due to corp issues or some rogue apps. The browser has always been weak, that has never been a RIM strong point. My 9700 was rock solid when I was using it, especially for calls, email and communictions in general, which is where the BB shines. And of course, it's legendary battery performance. Try going a whole day on an iPhone with one charge. No way, no how. And you can't pop an extra battery in either.

If I want cool apps and other fun stuff, I fire up iPod Touch. Best of both worlds.

You hear bad and good on each side. I simply can't stand the iOS interface and lack of ability to customize anything about it.
\\

my BB battery doesn't last a day. My wife's iphone 4 last 2-3 days easy.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:my BB battery doesn't last a day. My wife's iphone 4 last 2-3 days easy.
Then there's something seriously wrong with your BB's battery.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I'm not sure the battery on mine would last a day, either. The problem may be the settings and the "new shiny toy" factor. I was looking through the settings and the backlight was jacked up way too high. I could certainly reduce it (I reduced it a bit, will do even more later). Because it's new I keep playing with it. If you leave it alone and just use it for phone/messages it should last longer.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum