GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed)

+11
dennycrane
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
spader
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
tim1_2
wprager
15 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 17]

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, enough of hijacking the Playbook thread with posts about the Bold. Time for a separate one.

Got it yesterday, finally. Having a few issues, of course. I got my home wifi and my personal e-mail working no problem, but having some issues with the corporate side of things.

One thing that's really killing me is this. We have several wireless networks at the office. I accidentally saved on that I'm not supposed to be using. I have, since, connected to and saved the one I need to use, but the other one always kicks it out after a few moments. Of course it can't connect since I don't have the credentials for it.

I googled on how to delete saved networks and followed the instructions I found, but when I hit the blackberry key (not sure what else to call it) the menu I get does not have the option to delete (or even move) the saved network.

Last edited by wprager on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

BY AN IPHONE 2 SOLVE YER PROBLMZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:OK, enough of hijacking the Playbook thread with posts about the Bold. Time for a separate one.

Got it yesterday, finally. Having a few issues, of course. I got my home wifi and my personal e-mail working no problem, but having some issues with the corporate side of things.

One thing that's really killing me is this. We have several wireless networks at the office. I accidentally saved on that I'm not supposed to be using. I have, since, connected to and saved the one I need to use, but the other one always kicks it out after a few moments. Of course it can't connect since I don't have the credentials for it.

I googled on how to delete saved networks and followed the instructions I found, but when I hit the blackberry key (not sure what else to call it) the menu I get does not have the option to delete (or even move) the saved network.

Bold 9900? Sometimes corporate wifi networks dont' allow the option to delete the profile but you can still disable it.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I have a 9700 but I can delete saved networks on mine.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I stopped using wifi on my BB a while ago. If you have a corp BB, then it should be in 3G and the BBES. If this is a personal BB that you are trying to shoehorn into your corp email without BBES, then it's probably going to be pretty useless..

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, I figured it out. Followed a slightly different path to get to "Saved Networks", and in this particular list I could highlight a network and then the bb key showed me a menu which included delete/move/disable. Not sure I could find it again, though Smile

It's a corporate unit, but the data plan is 1 GB. I process a lot of e-mail, lots of attachments. Who knows when I'll need that 1 GB for something outside of work hours.

There well-established policies and procedures for using your personal smartphone and getting your e-mail. Wouldn't you know, though, I haven't been able to get my corporate e-mail up and running yet.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

OK, time to talk apps. I'm getting ScoreMobile -- I assume that will get me game updates and enough to keep me connected sports-wise.

Any Snes-related themes out there? Even just a background? How about some Sens ring tones?

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:OK, time to talk apps. I'm getting ScoreMobile -- I assume that will get me game updates and enough to keep me connected sports-wise.

ScoreMobile is the best app for scores, the TSN and Sportsnet ones suck. Although apps on BB suck in general.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Apps... here is what I have rocking on my 9900 right now:
- Google Maps - you know what this is
- BerryWeather - weather app that puts an icon on your main screen
- MeterBerry - monitor your battery usage, reset your device
- BerryMail - utility for inbox filtering rules
- ScoreMobile - Great sports utility, does alerts too
- Twitter for BlackBerry - Twitter app
- MaraTick - great utility for lists - to do, grocery etc...
- Poynt - utility to find crap near you, businesses, restaurants etc...
- The Weather Network - weather app
- BlackBerry Protect - backup and track your BB - very useful
- TSN Mobile - Sports app
- TD Mobile - Banking App
- Dropbox - File Sharing
- GasBuddy - find cheap gas
- Timmy Me - Tim Horton's app - this should be mandatory
- Wikitude - cool location based browser
- Oanda Currency Converter - no need to explain
- BBM Music - Music sharing utility
- BlackBerry News - News reader
- BlackBerry Travel - Travel management utility
- One Touch Flashlight Free - sometimes you just need a light
- Canoe News - News
- CP24 Traffic Alert - local traffic
- WhatsApp - Cross platform IM app
- Rogers TV Manager - no need to explain
- BerryBuzz - controls your notifications, alerts etc... very very useful
- CaptureIt - screen capture utility
- Photo Editor Ultimate - no need to explain
- Nobex Radio - Streaming Radio
- Vlingo - Voice command utility
- Evernote - neat utility for managing personal tasks etc...
- BlackBerry Mobile Conferencing

Obviously I don't use all of them all the time. My top used ones are:
- BerryWeather
- Berry Buzz
- MeterBerry
- Twitter
- Google Maps
- Poynt
- ScoreMobile

As for ringtones, I tend to make my own from MP3s. Google for free ring tones. Lots of crap out there.

Themes can be hit and miss. A badly designed theme can really mess up your phone. I tend to stay away from themes unless they've gotten good reviews.

Here's a screenshot of my 9900's main screen...

BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed) Capture133046

The weather icon is BerryWeather, and it has the temp in the notificatoin bar. MeterBerry puts the battery power level in the notifications area as well.

Best thing to do is just get in and poke around. Check out CrackBerry.com for a TON of good how-to info and what not. Very good community in there.

Enjoy your new berry.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So, what I gather from the BB threads, is that the BB is good for incredibly complex, inefficient things, whereas the iPhone is good if you want to be able to do actual stuff, like choose which network to connect to.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:So, what I gather from the BB threads, is that the BB is good for incredibly complex, inefficient things, whereas the iPhone is good if you want to be able to do actual stuff, like choose which network to connect to.
Heh. I've never had any issues connecting to various networks. I have over 20 network profiles on my BB... easy managment. I think Prager was suffering from "new BB user" syndrome. Wink

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Any olg geezers giving advice in here? I'm looking for one that's really, really olg. Sarcasm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:Any olg geezers giving advice in here? I'm looking for one that's really, really olg. Sarcasm

I think that's being discussed in one of the olg GTDs/

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

BlackBerry is still around??? Haven't they gone under yet?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cap'n Clutch wrote:BlackBerry is still around??? Haven't they gone under yet?
Buckle UP!!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 17]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum