GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed)

+11
dennycrane
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
spader
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
tim1_2
wprager
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 17]

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:I returned the 9860 I had - what an utter POS. I got a 9900 in exchange, and it's MUCH better........
What was the issue with the 9860? I've been curious to try a full touch screen phone...

very frustrating to use. The orientation switch is very sensitive, so the aspect changes by just breathing on the phone. The other annoyance is the fact that things are selected when you finger scroll. The battery life was about 4-5 hours on full charge in standby too.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:
Big Ev wrote:
Riprock wrote:I had no qualms about BlackBerry when I had one. But now I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and it is amazing.

I got a Motorola Razr and it's unreal as well. Question though, do you have Market or Google Play?

It was marketplace but it changed to Google Play.

How's your GSII? Android is pretty sweet

Riprock

All-Star
All-Star

The Galaxy is awesome. So much I've yet to even figure out too.

The Silfer Server

The Silfer Server
Veteran
Veteran

Pretty damn cool innovation from Blackberry, for cameras:

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The new BB10 OS and Dev Alpha device look very cool. Hopefully it delivers.

BB10 promo video from RIM:

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

What's wrong with the BB music app? I'll be listening to something and all of a sudden it'll slow down and lower the pitch. The weird thing is, as it slows down I get the distinct feeling that it was faster/higher pitched than normal, and is now returning back to where it was supposed to be in the first place. In other words, I don't think it's a matter of too many apps running and the music app simply not getting enough cycles quickly enough.

Are there any other music apps out there?

Also, what would Bell Media/Team1200 have to do to make their podcasts available for "subscription" on the BB? I managed to download a podcast once but then couldn't find it (at least not using the podcast app); until one day, when I had the music player on shuffle and, all of a sudden, I hear Pierre McGuire's voice.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Unrelated to the bold but on TechnoBuffalo.com they always leak useless info about the incoming iPhone 5, like its headphone jack and earphone piece. Downright pathetic lol.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/companies/apple/iphone/iphone-5-headphone-jack-and-earpiece-allegedly-leaked/

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:What's wrong with the BB music app? I'll be listening to something and all of a sudden it'll slow down and lower the pitch. The weird thing is, as it slows down I get the distinct feeling that it was faster/higher pitched than normal, and is now returning back to where it was supposed to be in the first place. In other words, I don't think it's a matter of too many apps running and the music app simply not getting enough cycles quickly enough.

Also, what would Bell Media/Team1200 have to do to make their podcasts available for "subscription" on the BB? I managed to download a podcast once but then couldn't find it (at least not using the podcast app); until one day, when I had the music player on shuffle and, all of a sudden, I hear Pierre McGuire's voice.
Never had that issue with any music on my BB. What format is your music in? Does it happen on the same tracks at the same time every time?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:What's wrong with the BB music app? I'll be listening to something and all of a sudden it'll slow down and lower the pitch. The weird thing is, as it slows down I get the distinct feeling that it was faster/higher pitched than normal, and is now returning back to where it was supposed to be in the first place. In other words, I don't think it's a matter of too many apps running and the music app simply not getting enough cycles quickly enough.

Never had that issue with any music on my BB. What format is your music in? Does it happen on the same tracks at the same time every time?

Just MP3, nothing fancy, ripped it using WMP's default settings I think. Different tunes in different places. I take back what I said about it slowing down to the right pitch/speed; I think more often than not it is speeding, but perhaps it overshoots on occasion and has to adjust. I'm pretty sure it has to do with the OS not properly allocating the CPU to the music app. And you can google -- this is a known issue:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8300-series-discussion-curve/154699-uneven-music-playback-pitch.html

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Man that is an old article you linked to... OS v4.5 is eons ago...

Rogers officially released OS v7.1.0.391 for the Bold 9900... may want to look at upgrading.

http://crackberry.com/rogers-releases-os-710391-blackberry-bold-9900

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Man that is an old article you linked to... OS v4.5 is eons ago...

Rogers officially released OS v7.1.0.391 for the Bold 9900... may want to look at upgrading.

http://crackberry.com/rogers-releases-os-710391-blackberry-bold-9900

Yeah, I know that's an old one, but I couldn't find the other one I had originally found, which was from 2 years ago. I upgraded my OS back in March, I think. Hadn't heard anything about this one -- don't you usually get a message about upgrades? Haven't seen anything yet.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Usually you do, but not always. If you go into "Setup --> Options --> Device --> Software Updates" it will tell you if there's an upgrade avail. And if you synch your BB with Desktop Manager on your PC, it should tell you as well.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Just got my noficication that my BlackBerry Z10 has shipped! Should be at the store today, but I won't be able to get it until Feb. 5th.

Gorgeous!

BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed) - Page 10 Blackberry-z10

BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed) - Page 10 Z10

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Haven't early reviews been negative? I could be wrong.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

tim1_2 wrote:Haven't early reviews been negative? I could be wrong.
The reviews have been very good. Unless you've been reading BGR, who is a known BlackBerry hater.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Nah, I just saw a couple people post concerns on Twitter about early reviews, but I have no interest, so I didn't bother doing any checking.

It'll be a good thing for RIM, Ottawa high tech companies, and probably the industry in general if the new BB is a hit.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Hardware wise it's basically the same as competition, but I've always preferred their OS's structure. It's way more developped and more practical.
The only problem is they are still looking for some apps like Instagram (facebook says it's coming), Flipboard etc.
I hope the general public will buy it, because I don't want them to die. I've had enough of Apple's yearly "upgrade".

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Reviews have not been negative, but from a stock market point of view, probably too little, too late. We'll see. I think any negative reviews have focused on whether or not this will be enough ti win corporate customers back or not, and the general feeling is "no". Doesn't mean the actual reviews are negative.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum