GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed)

+11
dennycrane
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
spader
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
tim1_2
wprager
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 17]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:Gonna be a rough day for RIM. Their stock is gonna take a hit for sure. The earnings report yesterday was pretty much bad news across the board with a less than encouraging outlook. It was refreshing to hear some brutally honest comments from the new CEO, something we'd never heard from the co-CEO's Jim and Mike before. Tough times ahead for RIM.

Bad news are pretty much already priced in. Balsillie retiring could actually give them a bit of a pop.

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Stock is trading up already...

Ballzy out, stock goes up. Huzzah.

SensHulk

All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:Stock is trading up already...

Yeah the big changes in the head office I think made a difference. First time the board has been brutally honest in their earnings call which is a breath of fresh air.

Tough times ahead financially....but it will get brighter towards the end of the year. You're gonna see a nice shift in direction.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Michallica wrote:
shabbs wrote:Stock is trading up already...

Yeah the big changes in the head office I think made a difference. First time the board has been brutally honest in their earnings call which is a breath of fresh air.

Tough times ahead financially....but it will get brighter towards the end of the year. You're gonna see a nice shift in direction.

"Brutal honesty" will only get you past your first call. After that they don't care about honesty and focus in on the "brutal" part.

It's funny, I have a few former colleagues working at RIM and I keep asking them how things are going. I get notifications when they update their LinkedIn profile -- usually an indicator. They've been surprisingly up-beat though. When RIM started putting up that new tower at the corner of Innovation and Terry Fox it was just before all the bad news started hitting the newswires. Since then, though, I heard they are going to move a lot of their R&D to Ottawa. Anyone out Waterloo-way? How are things at BBHQ?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Is there a BB app that will read (text-to-speech) my e-mail for me?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Is there a BB app that will read (text-to-speech) my e-mail for me?
http://www.drivesafe.ly/

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Prager - this is for you... RIM extended some free Premium Apps to Canada:

http://crackberry.com/rim-extends-free-premium-blackberry-7-app-offer-canadians

I know how much you like free.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Nice! Thanks.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

BeWeather is in there - certainly a good one to get. Not sure about the rest. Give 'em a spin.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:BeWeather is in there - certainly a good one to get. Not sure about the rest. Give 'em a spin.

Weird, I started up BeWeather (my non-pro version) and selected Upgrade to Pro from the menu, but ended up somewhere where it said it was not available for my device. Then I went the App Store directly, clicked the "Save $77 in Free Apps" link and downloaded it from there.

So now I can predict the weather? Control the weather? Be the weather?

As for the others, I'm thinking of giving some the iSpeech Dictation Pro a try. Vlingo is not that great at making out what I'm saying, maybe this one is better.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Interesting. I downloaded iSpeech Dictation and when it went through the set-up, at the end it took me to this list of other apps to download, one of them being DriveSafely -- do these two work together to listen to and then reply to your mail? Could be interesting.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:I had no qualms about BlackBerry when I had one. But now I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and it is amazing.

I got a Motorola Razr and it's unreal as well. Question though, do you have Market or Google Play?

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I returned the 9860 I had - what an utter POS. I got a 9900 in exchange, and it's MUCH better........

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I returned the 9860 I had - what an utter POS. I got a 9900 in exchange, and it's MUCH better........
What was the issue with the 9860? I've been curious to try a full touch screen phone...

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
Riprock wrote:I had no qualms about BlackBerry when I had one. But now I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and it is amazing.

I got a Motorola Razr and it's unreal as well. Question though, do you have Market or Google Play?

It was marketplace but it changed to Google Play.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:I returned the 9860 I had - what an utter POS. I got a 9900 in exchange, and it's MUCH better........
What was the issue with the 9860? I've been curious to try a full touch screen phone...

very frustrating to use. The orientation switch is very sensitive, so the aspect changes by just breathing on the phone. The other annoyance is the fact that things are selected when you finger scroll. The battery life was about 4-5 hours on full charge in standby too.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Riprock wrote:
Big Ev wrote:

It was marketplace but it changed to Google Play.

How's your GSII? Android is pretty sweet

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

The Galaxy is awesome. So much I've yet to even figure out too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum