GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

BlackBerry Bold - new user's thread (old geezers with advice welcomed)

+11
dennycrane
Riprock
Cap'n Clutch
SeawaySensFan
spader
shabbs
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
tim1_2
wprager
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 17]

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

What is this 7.1 and do I have it (or will I get it)?

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:What is this 7.1 and do I have it (or will I get it)?
It will deployed as an upgrade eventually by your carrier (Rogers I assume).

Some of us have installed leaked versions of the 7.1 OS on our BBs. Not for the faint of heart.

You have a BES connected phone, I highly suggest you do not try any sort of OS upgrade on your own.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:

Some of us have installed leaked versions of the 7.1 OS on our BBs. Not for the faint of heart.

You have a BES connected phone, I highly suggest you do not try any sort of OS upgrade on your own.

Don't worry, I won't. I barely have time to read the tutorials, so there are still things I haven't even figured out, yet. Like what's the quickest way to delete an e-mail. Right now I have to either select or click and display it, then I hit the BB key (not sure what to call it), then D to get to the Delete menu, then the main center key (again, don't know what to call *that one*) to confirm the delete action on mobile and on the server (this is for personal mail, the enterprise mail doesn't delete on the server, just the BB).

So that's 3 key clicks, after selecting it. I get lots of notifications that I don't normally care about (broken builds, successful builds, code reviews that I may not care about -- certainly not on the mobile). I guess I should just ignore those since I'm not really deleting (have to delete again when I get to Outlook). But for my personal e-mail I'd like to have a one-click delete. Is that possible?

P.S. Is there any way to disable the typing assistant or whatever it's called when I'm entering URLs or search parameters?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:Like what's the quickest way to delete an e-mail.
Ummm... the "del" key? Hit that when you are on the message. Easy. Peasy. Lemon squeezy.

wprager wrote:P.S. Is there any way to disable the typing assistant or whatever it's called when I'm entering URLs or search parameters?
I don't think so. Why do you want to?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:
wprager wrote:Like what's the quickest way to delete an e-mail.
Ummm... the "del" key? Hit that when you are on the message. Easy. Peasy. Lemon squeezy.

wprager wrote:P.S. Is there any way to disable the typing assistant or whatever it's called when I'm entering URLs or search parameters?
I don't think so. Why do you want to?

Never even noticed it was "Del" because I've only ever used it as a Backspace. OK, so that's down to 2 key clicks!

As for the typing, I find it *somewhat* useful when I'm typing replies, but a bit annoying when I'm trying to enter a URL in the browser, or some search terms. Not a big deal. I can just plow through and ignore the pop-up suggestions.

Is there a better browser? Is there any support for flash?

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

No flash support for blackberry handhelds. There is support on a playbook though

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

No flash support on iPhone or iPad.... Wink

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

shabbs wrote:No flash support on iPhone or iPad.... Wink

Adobe is killing flash on mobile devices anyway ... HTML5 is the way to go.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:

Don't worry, I won't. I barely have time to read the tutorials, so there are still things I haven't even figured out, yet. Like what's the quickest way to delete an e-mail. Right now I have to either select or click and display it, then I hit the BB key (not sure what to call it), then D to get to the Delete menu, then the main center key (again, don't know what to call *that one*) to confirm the delete action on mobile and on the server (this is for personal mail, the enterprise mail doesn't delete on the server, just the BB).

So that's 3 key clicks, after selecting it. I get lots of notifications that I don't normally care about (broken builds, successful builds, code reviews that I may not care about -- certainly not on the mobile). I guess I should just ignore those since I'm not really deleting (have to delete again when I get to Outlook). But for my personal e-mail I'd like to have a one-click delete. Is that possible?
P.S. Is there any way to disable the typing assistant or whatever it's called when I'm entering URLs or search parameters?

To get rid of predictive text:

Options > Typing and Language > Language > Select Style as Direct for no predictive text.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

This vlingo is good. I was just showing it off to a buddy. I was replying to an e-mail and, as we're walking down the hall I pushed the button and spoke into it, as we're walking -- "Umm, not sure if anyone else was involved".

And after "Thinking..." for a while it came up with the almost 100% perfect:"Um not sure if anyone else was involved."

*It got the "Umm"*!

And it's not like I was speaking clearly, loudly or enunciating like Gary Marshall. Just talking normally. I'm impressed.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

dennycrane wrote:

To get rid of predictive text:

Options > Typing and Language > Language > Select Style as Direct for no predictive text.

Oh, I knew that already -- it didn't come enabled by default and I had to look around to figure out how. Problem is I don't see a way to selectively disable it on a per-application basis.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

By the way, I installed Opera on it.

Just point your BB browser to m.opera.com and go from there.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Playing a bit with vlingo. It can be a hoot as a "Family Game Night". Similar to using google translate to go from English to something else, and then back again, then compare the results.

OK, seriously, it's pretty good with one voice in a quiet environment, but put a few kids trying not to giggle around the microphone and hilarity ensues.

At one point I tried to "insult" my kid by saying "XXX is a dufus", and it came back with with "You are a dufus". Touche.

One of the girls tried to say "There's something wrong with this phone" and it came back with "I know".

It's almost like sometimes it ties to make small talk instead of transcribing what you say.

Oh, and I tried the classic "Dammit Jim ..." and it came back with "D**** Jim ..." Keeping our e-airways clean Smile

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Cool video on using your BB as a remote to control your PlayBook.

I love this feature.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I don't really get it. I assume the PB can be controlled by just touching the screen. So are you sitting so far that you can't reach? Or you don't want to smudge the screen? Or what?

Anyhow, I really just wanted to say that there is an app tolisten to Team1200 on your mobile device (including BB). Just browse to team1200.com/mobile. Download link doesn't work with Opera; had to use the BB web browser.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I bought a new battery for my 9700 and the battery still sucks down. I told my IT dept and I should get a new BB next month. I'm going to try to get the 9900 as it is shweeet.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:I don't really get it. I assume the PB can be controlled by just touching the screen. So are you sitting so far that you can't reach? Or you don't want to smudge the screen? Or what?
The benefit is that it can be used from a distance over Bluetooth. When you hook up your PB to a TV via HDMI cable, you'll be limited by the reach of your HDMI cable. Also, the keyboard on your BB can be used for text input. So, think boardroom presentations, sitting on the couch at home relaxing, in the hotel watching a movie on the TV etc...

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I never thought of hooking up a PB to a TV. It doesn't play blu rays so you're talking about downloaded or streamed content? That's what my PS3 is for. Look, I don't *have one* so I don't know. But I had assumed a PB would be to watch stuff at arm's (forearm to be precise) length.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum