GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

GAME DAY: NY Islanders @ Ottawa, 7:30PM, Friday, February 3, 2012

+10
wprager
Ev
rooneypoo
Hoags
Riprock
spader
SeawaySensFan
tim1_2
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 7 of 8]

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:Seriously, Michalek is probably the streakiest player in the league and it's pretty odd how little assists we has for a first line winger.
Its really not that weird. He has little to no playmaking skills. I've never seen him make an impressive pass. Not once.
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:
spader wrote:
cash wrote:Gonchar is the worst Cussing defenseman Facepalm

Holy Dung!

I defended the Diddle out this moron at the start of the year when he was playing well but its just been one goddam Dung bird mistake after another with him. What the F*CK!

So pissed right now.

I can't believe how a vet D-man can be so useless. F*ck!

Wasn't the late man Cowen's responsibility?

EDIT: From what the announcers were saying, it sure sounded like Cowen should have been looking for the late man.
Gonchar backed off to almost our blueline when the puck was just exiting the Isles blueline. He's such a slow Diddle that he is consistently out of position and this was just another example of how it costs us. We should continue the rebuild in earnest and liquidate the Kuba's, Gonchar's and Konopka's before the deadline.

This team cannot contend with this D-core. Karlsson (while still improving) is a liability (all zones) at key intervals. Cowen's offense isn't properly developed and it shows game-in, game-out. Phillips doesn't have a reliable/consistent partner and it shows. Carkner is a 6/7 on a bad team, debatable if he fits on a good team. Kuba has no urgency in his game, ever! Even when there's 3 seconds left on the clock and he just has to hurry a pivot to find a lane to send it to the net. And Gonchar... Cussing Gonchar. That is all.

Then there's the forward core that has debatable written all over it. Spezza's a no-show in 50% of the games he plays. Michalek's cy-young performance isn't a fluke and it's not like his linemates (primarily Spezza) are bereft of goal scoring ability. Alfie doesn't have that same killer instinct that made him our best offensive player for years. I have no real complaints about Turris, beyond the fact that he's consistently our best player these days (obviously that's not intended as a slight to him). And those are our top-6 talents. Then there's Greening, Foligno, and possibly Smith and Condra who are all definitely best suited to (scoring) 3rd line roles on contending teams. Neil is not a 1st PP option and it baffles me that we still go there despite the fact that the PP has been Dung (!!) for a while. The 4th line aren't talents you'll find on contending teams.

It's been a nice resurgence for the team but it wouldn't shock me to see them miss the playoffs. All you have to do is consider how piss poor their defensive coverage has been plus how frequently they've required miracle comebacks to win and it's fairly evident that the rebuild remains incomplete.

Agree with a lot of this, but not the Cowen comment. He is developing exactly like Marc Staal, and that is his upside IMO. I think you just have to step back and realize that this team will go through ups and downs, and we shouldn't get too high and low this season like a NEELY.
Either way, he's caught in offensive situations that require him to handle the puck but he handles it like a live grenade. His offense is fine for what he is (huge, young, raw) but not good enough to be a top-4 D, which he is on this team.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

cash wrote:
Either way, he's caught in offensive situations that require him to handle the puck but he handles it like a live grenade. His offense is fine for what he is (huge, young, raw) but not good enough to be a top-4 D, which he is on this team.

Oh ok, I see what you mean. I think he has been pretty meh to bad ever since that 4 point night he had a while back. He was given more PP time and minutes then, so maybe he does more when given more responsibilities? I dunno.

Anyway, I think the D will look different after the deadline.

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

cash wrote:
Its really not that weird. He has little to no playmaking skills. I've never seen him make an impressive pass. Not once.

Yeah, and he's not hustling like he did at the beginning of the year. And it's true, I can't remember him passing well. Michalek is probably more suited for the second line on a deeper team.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:

Oh ok, I see what you mean. I think he has been pretty meh to bad ever since that 4 point night he had a while back. He was given more PP time and minutes then, so maybe he does more when given more responsibilities? I dunno.

Anyway, I think the D will look different after the deadline.
yeah maybe. I don't see how it changes though? One idea I like is getting rid of Kuba for a 2nd and then buying low on Zidlicky for a 3rd or 4th. Upgrade both assets, Imo...

As for Cowen, he simply doesn't have the puck skills (yet---I hope) to have more responsibilities. He's a work in progress. In Canada's loss to Russia, for instance, he was by far their most dangerous D-man in the attempt to comeback late in the game, but still didn't have the skills/sense to make it happen. The will was there and obvious, though.
Big Ev wrote:
cash wrote:

Yeah, and he's not hustling like he did at the beginning of the year. And it's true, I can't remember him passing well. Michalek is probably more suited for the second line on a deeper team.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a top-6 forward with such poor vision and playmaking skills. His puck handling isn't exactly elite either. Great shot, decent sense, definitely not a top-line forward. Wouldn't be upset if he was packaged to return a better scorer, preferably one with an equally affordable contract (Ryan, for instance).

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

you know, I can really see Joni Pitkanen being a target (if he remains on track to return from injury in early March).

Brenden Morrow and Dustin Penner as well

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Murray is a fool if he gives up any future assets for a rental. I just got in from the game and this team looks lost. Anderson was pretty good overall but it looked like he just froze on the GWG. The "offence" couldn't do anything and Phillips and Gonchar were ineffective.

It is beginning to feel like a 9th place finish.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

that's why I think Pitkanen might be a target. He has 2 years left on his deal after this season.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

Big Ev wrote:Brenden Morrow and Dustin Penner as well
Morrow will be too expensive.

If Murray wasnt GM.... I'd say no chance on Penner, but Imo Murray would take a flyer on his ex-recruit.
dennycrane wrote:Murray is a fool if he gives up any future assets for a rental. I just got in from the game and this team looks lost. Anderson was pretty good overall but it looked like he just froze on the GWG. The "offence" couldn't do anything and Phillips and Gonchar were ineffective.

It is beginning to feel like a 9th place finish.
we were never far off anyways. When you look at the PPG of teams that make the playoffs, it's anywhere from 1.15 to 1.3. So when teams had 3-4-5 game in hand and they were 5-6-7 points behind us, they were pretty much tied with us. In other words, every game in hand for a playoff bound team would net-net be approx 1.25 points added to their total. So if they have 4 games in hand and are 5 points back, by the end of the season, those 4 games in hand will equal 5 points.. Will it be true for every one of the teams? no, not really... but when there are 5 or 6 teams in that range, enough of them will follow that pattern to make that "cushion" non-existent.

9th place was never that far off. It just looked that way.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

I think Daugavins should be sent down and Petersson or Da Costa brought back up. Daugavins is fine, but he barely plays and he has not been as effective as he was in the first month or so.

cash

Sophomore
Sophomore

waivers are an issue, although I think he clears.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I hate to say it because I really like Cowen, but he was front-and-center for both goals. First one he goes over to "help" Gonchar, who needs no help, and leaves the right-side winger all alone. On the second goal Gonchar is waving over to the left side, pleading with someone --anyone --to pick up the other winger. Greening does what Cowen did on the first goal -- ansolutely no need for him to be there. But Cowen just stopped skating and let the right winger (eventual OT-GWG scorer) just go to the net. And Anderson overplayed it, too, was way out of position.

Just horrible positioning all around. MacLean should have a field day with the replays. This one could have -- should have -- been a shutout for Anderson.

That said, after 9 games they finally score first. After 4 outings they finally get a point. Still not love from the refs -- the only call was the obvious one and even there we got just 2 and not 4. Dammit, Zach, would it kill ya to bleed just a little bit?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

So, no one thinks Anderson was way too far out on that OT goal? Cowen was way deep when the Isles broke out and he didn't say with his man, resulting in an easy goal. Frustrating...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

shabbs wrote:So, no one thinks Anderson was way too far out on that OT goal? Cowen was way deep when the Isles broke out and he didn't say with his man, resulting in an easy goal. Frustrating...

Easiest thing to do there is blame Carkner and Phillips.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SeawaySensFan wrote:
shabbs wrote:So, no one thinks Anderson was way too far out on that OT goal? Cowen was way deep when the Isles broke out and he didn't say with his man, resulting in an easy goal. Frustrating...

Laughing3

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:

For being on the bench during both goals against? Mmhhmok.

Bright side: the 4 game pointless streak is over. This was the first home game after a long road trip, usually an automatic loss (yeah,right). Bottom line is the Islanders played much better than their record indicates and the Senators appeared to be about as good as their recent record indicates. Spezza was good but he's not good enough to pick up his whole team, let alone his linemates, and Michalek has been horrible lately. I think his knee is bothering him, personally. Alfie looks tired again like he did last year. Time to shake up the lines a bit, I think.

By the way, no-one mentioned how O'Brien played. Honestly, I know I was watching mostly on the choppy stream, but I don't remember seeing him. Being invisible was Butler's job and he did it well. I thought this was meant to be a change.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Daugavins is out there for every PK. Can't say he doesn't do anything. I saw him do what he should be doing. He was tenacious. Got hit, kept going, drove the net.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

cash wrote:Gonchar is the worst Cussing defenseman Facepalm

Holy Dung!

I defended the Diddle out this moron at the start of the year when he was playing well but its just been one goddam Dung bird mistake after another with him. What the F*CK!

So pissed right now.

I can't believe how a vet D-man can be so useless. F*ck!

While he didn't have his best game....and he was quite bad, he wasn't the cause of the loss. I would even argue whether Cowen was the cause. He's a young gu¥ and he's going to make mistakes and he made a big one in the 3rd period. That said, what a piss poor night on the offense for our team. Every quality chance, the shot went wide and if not for a garbage fluke goal allowed by Nabby, we would have been shutout.

This was actually a disturbing effort, as well as the isles have been playing. All I kept hearing was 'must win! must win! first home game in so long' you'd think they'd have that extra jump in their game. There was no jump whatsoever. And Full marks to anderson to get us to overtime but that OT goal was just weak....what the fuk was he doing so way out of the blue paint? Eaton? the guy who hadn't scored a goal in 2 years? FFS Facepalm

Full marks to NYI. I actually think playing Anderson all these games is making the team complacent. They need a kick somewhere along the way...

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

also, this is wh¥ I've said that we need another veteran d-man to take some pressure of Cowen. Last night was a brutal game for him defensively. Offensively he showed some good poise but not enough to make me forget his gaffes. Karlsson wasn't good either.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum