GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

FINAL 3 Ottawa Senators @ 0 NY Rangers Jan 12, 2012 7pm.

+15
KidKarlsson
Hobiesens
PTFlea
wprager
Flo The Action
spader
Hoags
SensHulk
ddt
shabbs
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
TheAvatar
SeawaySensFan
Number Twenty Nine
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:Time to go get that thumping bottom pair D-man - unless Carkner wants to step up.

I hope Carkner never sees the ice from here on out.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I wouldn't trade anything of any real signifigant value for a pure rental at this point... aside from the 1st rounder every single pick could be traded and it really wouldn't matter. Ottawa has prospects coming out of everywhere and there is literally only so many players you can have in an organization.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:...and maybe a back-up goalie - unless Auld wants to step up.

That is an issue for sure.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:If Ottawa beats the Jets on Monday, that burries the Jets in terms of them finishing ahead of Ottawa.

Go look at the standings... Buffalo and Montreal are what? 13 and 14 points back? You know the two teams that were supposed to be playoff guarantees.

Even if people use the games in hand thing, those teams have to win all of their games to jump ahead of the Sens and that's not going to happen.

If they win all their games in hand, they still won't even tie the Sens, let alone jump ahead of them.

Still, there's lots of hockey to be played. Saying that the Jets' chances of catching up will be buried at this stage in the season is ridiculous. It's unlikely that they'll catch up, but it's definitely not a sure thing yet.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:If Ottawa beats the Jets on Monday, that burries the Jets in terms of them finishing ahead of Ottawa.

Go look at the standings... Buffalo and Montreal are what? 13 and 14 points back? You know the two teams that were supposed to be playoff guarantees.

Even if people use the games in hand thing, those teams have to win all of their games to jump ahead of the Sens and that's not going to happen.

If they win all their games in hand, they still won't even tie the Sens, let alone jump ahead of them.

Still, there's lots of hockey to be played. Saying that the Jets' chances of catching up will be buried at this stage in the season is ridiculous. It's unlikely that they'll catch up, but it's definitely not a sure thing yet.

Sens win on Monday night and they have no chance. Double digit points lead with less than 1/2 the season to go is pretty close to impossible to overcome. Like I said, NJ won something like 20 of 24 last year at one point and still had no chance and didn't even sniff the playoffs... Any team 10 plus points back of another team at this point will not catch them in the standings unless it's a team that bottoms out and gives up on the year.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:I wouldn't trade anything of any real signifigant value for a pure rental at this point... aside from the 1st rounder every single pick could be traded and it really wouldn't matter. Ottawa has prospects coming out of everywhere and there is literally only so many players you can have in an organization.

I'd trade the 1st for Bogosian...we don't have a ton of D prospects outside of Gryba, Boro and maybe Blood.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SpezDispenser wrote:
NEELY wrote:I wouldn't trade anything of any real signifigant value for a pure rental at this point... aside from the 1st rounder every single pick could be traded and it really wouldn't matter. Ottawa has prospects coming out of everywhere and there is literally only so many players you can have in an organization.

I'd trade the 1st for Bogosian...we don't have a ton of D prospects outside of Gryba, Boro and maybe Blood.

Wiercoich, Wideman, Claeson... Ottawa has their top 2 D men for the next 10-15 years. They can add depth from anywhere now, especially if they continue to win games.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Haha, remember when we got Michalek for Heatley.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
spader wrote:

Sens win on Monday night and they have no chance. Double digit points lead with less than 1/2 the season to go is pretty close to impossible to overcome. Like I said, NJ won something like 20 of 24 last year at one point and still had no chance and didn't even sniff the playoffs... Any team 10 plus points back of another team at this point will not catch them in the standings unless it's a team that bottoms out and gives up on the year.

Weren't the NJD in dead last when they started that run? Either way, if WPG wins both games-in-hand (not at all out of the question), they're only 5 points behind. Not exactly insurmountable.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Even then they need to win another 3 in a row and Otawa lose 3 in a row for them to touch them in the standings... not gonna happen.

KidKarlsson

KidKarlsson
Rookie
Rookie

its way to early to be saying teams like WPG cant catch us, cmon guys all it takes is a hot streak by another team and a cold streak by us and we could still fall. Lets not get cocky. One game at a time. I still have faith we can iwn the division WinkandGrin

NEELY

Mod
Mod

KidKarlsson wrote:its way to early to be saying teams like WPG cant catch us, cmon guys all it takes is a hot streak by another team and a cold streak by us and we could still fall. Lets not get cocky. One game at a time. I still have faith we can iwn the division WinkandGrin

5 game winning streak by the Jets with the worst travel in the NHL and a 3 game losing skid for the Sens while losing to the Jets in the process... I'll take my chances when I say the Jets won't touch them nor will anyone below the Jets in the standings.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:Even then they need to win another 3 in a row and Otawa lose 3 in a row for them to touch them in the standings... not gonna happen.

Ha. Ya. They have to be "in a row" because...why exactly? They can't win 3 more out of the remaining 30+ games? Laugh1

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Yeah, I'm not ready to enjoy the playoff spot lock yet. I'm loving this team though...

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

NEELY wrote:
KidKarlsson wrote:its way to early to be saying teams like WPG cant catch us, cmon guys all it takes is a hot streak by another team and a cold streak by us and we could still fall. Lets not get cocky. One game at a time. I still have faith we can iwn the division WinkandGrin

5 game winning streak by the Jets with the worst travel in the NHL and a 3 game losing skid for the Sens while losing to the Jets in the process... I'll take my chances when I say the Jets won't touch them nor will anyone below the Jets in the standings.
Is that what you're saying? That they "won't"? I was sure you were saying that they "can't." Sarcasm

KidKarlsson

KidKarlsson
Rookie
Rookie

spader wrote:
NEELY wrote:Even then they need to win another 3 in a row and Otawa lose 3 in a row for them to touch them in the standings... not gonna happen.

Ha. Ya. They have to be "in a row" because...why exactly? They can't win 3 more out of the remaining 30+ games? Laugh1

exactly, its not like we are in the final 10 games of the season... 30+ games still leaves a lot of room for fluctuation.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

spader wrote:

Kind of missed the point there. Anyways, if Ottawa beats the Jets Monday night there's basically no chance the Jets touch them in the standings. That was my original statement. 10 points or more and it's over.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

KidKarlsson wrote:
spader wrote:

exactly, its not like we are in the final 10 games of the season... 30+ games still leaves a lot of room for fluctuation.

No, it really doesn't. 3 point games all the time, teams playing back to backs on a lot of nights down the stretch, 10 points is close to impossible to overcome at the top of the standings with less than 1/2 a year to go.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum