GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

A place to vent

+21
DirtyDave
Cap'n Clutch
spader
rooneypoo
The Silfer Server
NEELY
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
shabbs
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
SensGirl11
Da lil Guy
SeawaySensFan
Ev
wprager
Riprock
tim1_2
PTFlea
22_4_ever
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 19]

136A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:26 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:All I eat is sausage gravy.

Did someone say...sausage gravy?

A place to vent - Page 10 Biscuits-and-Gravy-Sausage-Gravy

Plenty of protein in sausage gravy.

137A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Ev

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Ev wrote:You don't need the garbage ones, but whey protein isolate (with nothing else added, no suagrs or caffeine and all that crap) like Gold Standard really helps. It's not a need but if you don't eat a lot of protein it is good to take.

Yeah drink water and that's it as your everyday beverage

Drinking a lot of water is huge.  

If you have a healthy diet though and very balanced you don't need the protein or other alternatives to good eating.  You have 5 smaller meals a day (not possible for most people) or just 3 very square and balanced meals you will be fine.

Another big thing is no carbs after a certain time of day especially after say 5pm.  I don't even have carbs after noon... once in the morning to jump start the body and that's it and it's never white bread.  There are lots of very easy things to do to keep weight down outside of exercising.  

Intermittent fasting is also an option (if we're talking about fat people here - not sure if wprager was implying that). You can do it in different ways too - for example only eating 25% of your caloric intake every second day, or only eating in a 8 hour window every day, etc.

Protein would be mainly for after the workouts. I find it really helps to add muscle and aid in recovery. I also had just pure protein shakes before for breakfast which really fills you up for the day. I don't even breakfast right now though.

138A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:37 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Eating breakfast is super important and a super bad habit if you don't.

Chugging a chocolate milk after a workout (not a liter of it, like 500ml) is also a great way to have a treat and give your body something it is craving, carbs, sugars, proteins. After a workout though protein is everything.

139A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It depends on the person, re: breakfast. If you're practicing IF then you can skip breakfast and be healthy/lose fat, whatever your goal is.

140A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:48 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I'm def of the train of thought you need breakfast as your body realizes it's taking in calories and your body starts working. Carbs and a little protein mixed in with some fiber. If you are healthy and feel good though at the end of the day that's all that matters.

141A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:31 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Ev wrote:
wprager wrote:I still maintain there is only so much parents can do.  Our oldest, doesn't want to go out and do anything.  When he was younger we pushed him into swimming, soccer, skating, bike rides.  Eventually the pushing becomes difficult.  I swear, if it wasn't for us not keeping any chips/cookies/sugar cereals in the house he'd be in a bit of trouble.  I worry what could happen when he moves out on his own, without us nagging him to eat veggies, cut down on crap.  Our second, he's skinny like a rake.  Did soccer and swimming when younger, then switched to hockey 5 years ago, and has gotten into running the last couple of years.  He doesn't crave desserts and fatty foods like his brother, but his diet is extremely limited.  We go to a Chinese buffet and he piles his plate full of chicken wings; at home, with 90% of what we cook he ends up making a bowl of KD for himself.  But at least he's skinny and exercises very regularly.

Same parents (and also close in age so no big changes from one to the other) yet completely different.  Nature wins.

I only get wings and egg rolls and fried chicken from chinese places lol.

Get him some why protein and get him to lift. How old is he? Tell him to bulk up for high school.

As for the first kid, that sounds like I was. If he isn't fat or anything like that and if he's happy I'd say there's not much you can do.

He's tried protein shakes and bars, we don't really have weights (sold my set a loooong time ago) so he's just using some 20 lbs dumbbells. But he's a rake and he doesn't like eating protein (pretty much a bagel in the morning, sometimes two, and the KD -- he should be fat or diabetic, but he's not). I tell him to do squats and lunges with those weights to strengthen his legs but I think he's grown a couple of inches over the last year so nothing will help right now. He's got to stop growing vertically before he can put on any reasonable weight.

Like I said, with my first, my concern is when he moves out and no-one is forcing him to make the right choices. He's working part time now and has already come home with a box of Oreos ("But they were on sale, and I get my 10% discount!" -- wonder where he gets that).

142A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:34 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

NEELY wrote:You don't need all the garbage protein and whey products, you need a healthy diet and consistent exercise.  Find a hill, run up that 10 times hard.  Every time you get to the top do 20 pushups, every time you get to the bottom do 20 sit ups.  If the hill is too easy find a rock and run up with that.

You don't need a bench press (although it helps), you don't need a tredmil, you don't need a personal trainer.  You need discipline and that's it.  After that let the kid have a treat, let him eat some chips, w/e.  You work hard you should be rewarded like anything else.

Only thing people should 100% always stay away from is pop.

Discipline is the key word there. He has very little and it's not something easily learned. Don't have pop all the time, when we do, limit then to 1 a day, and it's either diet crap (yea, yeah, I know) or stuff low in sugar like ginger ale. Treates (sweets, at least) are actually best *before* you exercise.

143A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:35 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

No. No-one said it. No-one *ever* says it.

144A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:37 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:

No.  No-one said it.  No-one *ever* says it.

No one ever says what? Sausage gravy?

145A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:38 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

I have one kid who's the active fit jock and the other that's a lazy bookwormy type.

I guess I'm just doing a 1/2 assed job according to the resident Dr. Phil.

146A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:43 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I have one kid who's the active fit jock and the other that's a lazy bookwormy type.

Shame on you. Shall I FedEx you some North End for the fatty? Well, what's left of it after I have a slice or 4.

147A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Number Twenty Nine wrote:I have one kid who's the active fit jock and the other that's a lazy bookwormy type.

Pretty much my first two (except I the second is too skinny to be a jock -- but he def wants to be one). Then my *next two* are twins, and still very different.

148A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

The boy, the fit one wants to be a US Marine

149A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:59 pm

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

The other, a history teacher.

Call children's aid now!

150A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:00 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:The other, a history teacher.

Call children's aid now!

I would but I'm on the blower with North End for that pie I promised.

151A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:19 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

My brother is an engineer and is extremely fit. Being a bookworm has nothing to do with being physically lazy and fact is being fat is just as bad as smoking as it's a drain on the health care system and taxes. Leads to depression and other mental issues which is also a drain on society and the tax system.

Nothing to do with being Dr Phil or anything of the sort. Kids (and I mean children) being over weight is unacceptable and totally on the parents. Around 16 or 17 yah, teens can decide to either get fit or keep being fat but by the a lot of the time it's too late.

It's not hard to move for an hour a day (even less) and it's even easier not to stuff your face chips on a daily basis.

152A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:20 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
NEELY wrote:You don't need all the garbage protein and whey products, you need a healthy diet and consistent exercise.  Find a hill, run up that 10 times hard.  Every time you get to the top do 20 pushups, every time you get to the bottom do 20 sit ups.  If the hill is too easy find a rock and run up with that.

You don't need a bench press (although it helps), you don't need a tredmil, you don't need a personal trainer.  You need discipline and that's it.  After that let the kid have a treat, let him eat some chips, w/e.  You work hard you should be rewarded like anything else.

Only thing people should 100% always stay away from is pop.

Discipline is the key word there.  He has very little and it's not something easily learned.  Don't have pop all the time, when we do, limit then to 1 a day, and it's either diet crap (yea, yeah, I know) or stuff low in sugar like ginger ale.  Treates (sweets, at least) are actually best *before* you exercise.  

Pop is just soooo bad for you... it's unreal.

Sugary treats aren't too bad because you can burn off the sugar pretty easily but yah, just not at night.

153A place to vent - Page 10 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:22 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Number Twenty Nine wrote:The other, a history teacher.

Call children's aid now!

Yup, because me providing what is pretty close to common sense means I am trying to be a shrink. Me saying an 8 year old being fat is on the parents is somehow ignorant or I am misinformed?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum