GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

A place to vent

+21
DirtyDave
Cap'n Clutch
spader
rooneypoo
The Silfer Server
NEELY
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
shabbs
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
SensGirl11
Da lil Guy
SeawaySensFan
Ev
wprager
Riprock
tim1_2
PTFlea
22_4_ever
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 19]

76A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:11 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Hoags wrote:
wprager wrote:
Maybe if you tell them you're a recent immigrant?

Well I'm not ... I came over in '84.

My previous doctor retired not long ago. Doesn't really matter .. everyone seems to be "full" (aka not taking patients).

I was making a joke reference to McGinty's tax rebate of $10,000 for hiring recent immigrants. Oh, man, is it election time again? I'd like to fire the lot of them. Liberals, Conservatives, city councilors -- mostly city councilors. Put running the city, province out to tender.

77A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:13 am

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:Oh man I hate cyclists.

As an occasional cyclist, I had bad/inconsiderate drivers even more. 'Cause you know, my errors as a cyclist cause you minor inconveniences, whereas your errors as a driver cost me bodily harm.

Plus, drivers hate cyclists on the road, and pedestrians hate cyclists on the sidewalk. If you're lucky enough to have a dedicated bike lane, the driving world goes insane when they get made (as on Laurier) because it's 'their' space. You can't win. So, I hate that the hypocrisy of fat, lazy drivers gets in the way of a healthy lifestyle and a convenient way of traveling in the downtown core. Drivers like that are cultural dinosaurs who don't realize that, in the city of the future, which is being built now, there will be no cars in the downtown core, just buses and bike and walkers.

However, my number one pet peeve while cycling on the road: a car passes you on the left only to turn right immediately after, so cutting you off. I tried my best to put my foot through the brake light of the last guy who did that to me, but, alas, it didn't quite break.

Drivers do stupid Dung around cyclists that they would never do around other motorists. And that's stupid and irresponsible.

78A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:20 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

You should need a lisence and have to pass tests and pay the same fees as other "vehciles" of the road. Too many stupid people to be riding bikes.

Why are bikes exempt from having to know the law?

79A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:18 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Well, I biked to work quite a bit before my bike got stolen last year. It just isn't the same in the suburbs, though. When I worked on Sussex I saw a lot of bikers who, really, were on a death wish. No other way to explain it.

But the worst of all are the recumbent bikes. Everything you can say about bikes (and, remember, I biked myself, so I'm not the one saying it) and add that they are too low to the ground to see well, they look butt-ugly and the rider looks ridiculous in it.

80A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:50 am

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Well, I biked to work quite a bit before my bike got stolen last year. It just isn't the same in the suburbs, though. When I worked on Sussex I saw a lot of bikers who, really, were on a death wish. No other way to explain it.

But the worst of all are the recumbent bikes. Everything you can say about bikes (and, remember, I biked myself, so I'm not the one saying it) and add that they are too low to the ground to see well, they look butt-ugly and the rider looks ridiculous in it.

They like the attention. Makes me sick to my stomach.

81A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:59 am

Da lil Guy

Da lil Guy
Rookie
Rookie

I work on Laurier, and the way both drivers and cyclists are handling the new bike lanes annoys me on a daily basis.

I actually don't mind the minor inconveniences of the bike lane (not being able to turn left where I want, being unable to park on most of the street). I could deal with that. The problem is everyone being idiots about the new situation - nobody knows the rules, people park on the street or in the bike lane, cyclists get confused and end up in the middle of the road, blocking traffic.

Also, I have to add that my comments on hazard lights not being a license to park anywhere apply equally, if not especially, to people who drive for the delivery industry. Parking your mail truck in the middle of the road for 10-20 minutes at a time with your blinkers on still makes me hate you. I don't care that it's your job, or that it's essential to commerce, or any of that blabity-blah-blah. I'm still sending you a big Diddle you by priority overnight - you should get it next week.

82A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:32 am

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

rooneypoo wrote:

As an occasional cyclist, I had bad/inconsiderate drivers even more. 'Cause you know, my errors as a cyclist cause you minor inconveniences, whereas your errors as a driver cost me bodily harm.

Plus, drivers hate cyclists on the road, and pedestrians hate cyclists on the sidewalk. If you're lucky enough to have a dedicated bike lane, the driving world goes insane when they get made (as on Laurier) because it's 'their' space. You can't win. So, I hate that the hypocrisy of fat, lazy drivers gets in the way of a healthy lifestyle and a convenient way of traveling in the downtown core. Drivers like that are cultural dinosaurs who don't realize that, in the city of the future, which is being built now, there will be no cars in the downtown core, just buses and bike and walkers.

However, my number one pet peeve while cycling on the road: a car passes you on the left only to turn right immediately after, so cutting you off. I tried my best to put my foot through the brake light of the last guy who did that to me, but, alas, it didn't quite break.

Drivers do stupid Dung around cyclists that they would never do around other motorists. And that's stupid and irresponsible.

I agree with everything you said, except that. Don't see that ever happening. We gonna rely on only public transit to get downtown? We better have a sweet light rail by then.

83A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:56 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:
rooneypoo wrote:

I agree with everything you said, except that. Don't see that ever happening. We gonna rely on only public transit to get downtown? We better have a sweet light rail by then.

Go to London. You pay about $20 a day to drive anywhere near the downtown core. There are cameras on all the major roads, taking license plate numbers; you pay for the privilege / nuisance of driving in the downtown area.

In the city of tomorrow, you won't take your car downtown -- unless you're really affluent, anyway. There will be economic incentives to get you on buses and bikes, and disincentives to get you out of your car. It's the only way to manage the congestion, really.

84A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:20 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:Hockey makes us ... discourteous.

Yeah, losing does that. Ask people in Vancouver

85A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

22_4_ever wrote: Personally I hate Facebook/My Space.

Someone mentioned hating Rude people, but there is a place. After 20 minutes of not being able to get a guy off of my property, I finally stopped with the nicey nicey and told him to leave before I called the police and slammed my door.

I'm often reminded that I'm rude to my family and instantly nice to strangers. It's a huge failing of mine, where I take for granted my wife, kids, and relatives, yet treat strangers or people I barely know with great respect.

SHAME ON ME!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, waiting 20minutes to finally raise your voice to get that guy off your property shows a lot of restraint.

Yeah, on your second point well, you got the rest of your life to get better !!! Start today!

86A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:27 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

22_4_ever wrote:
La Femme wrote:And all you guys complaining about drivers haven't been to Africa Laugh1

Or Paris....

Or South Korea.

87A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Or Dominicain, or Cuba? I'd never drive in those places.

88A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:01 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rooneypoo wrote:
Go to London.

You can't make me. They boil their meat, for cryin' out loud!

89A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:34 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
22_4_ever wrote:
La Femme wrote:And all you guys complaining about drivers haven't been to Africa Laugh1

Or Paris....

Or South Korea.

Or Bronson.

90A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:22 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What's up with old folks who call a hamburger a "hamburg?"

91A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:27 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SeawaySensFan wrote:What's up with old folks who call a hamburger a "hamburg?"

This is a question for our resident geezer, W.P. Rager.

92A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:32 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The Rager knows.

93A place to vent - Page 6 Empty Re: A place to vent Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:34 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:What's up with old folks who call a hamburger a "hamburg?"

This is a question for our resident geezer, W.P. Rager.

I think he's out sweeping the left over snow right now from when he was shoveling at 3am.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum