GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Man falls from Upper Deck at ScotiaBank Place

+2
Nasty Nas
PKC
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

OTTAWA (AP)—A 21-year-old man was taken to hospital after he fell about 25
feet from the upper deck of Scotiabank Place during the second intermission of
the Ottawa Senator's victory over the Atlanta Thrashers on Wednesday night.
According to witnesses, the man sailed headfirst past and over a few stunned
onlookers in the rows ahead of his seat before clearing the low railing at the
bottom of the third level and falling onto a row of seats in the level
immediately below.

Senators president and CEO Roy Mlakar said the man was carrying two beers
when he stumbled over a purse.“He was not inebriated,” said Mlakar, who confirmed that the man had beentreated on the scene for lacerations and that he was taken to a hospital as aprecautionary measure. “He seems fine, he’s totally cognizant. He recognizes that there’s nothingserious.” He added that two other people the man landed on in the section below also were treated at the scene, and that a third person, a 33-year-old woman, sustained a non-critical neck injury and also was taken to a hospital for precautionary reasons. Mlakar said it was the first such accident in the 13-year-old arena’s history.

PKC

PKC
All-Star
All-Star

Insane. That must have been a scary thing to see live.

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

Wow, that's really terrible. Glad he seems to be alright.
I'm actually kinda surprised this hasnt happened before with a lot of
ppl that get loaded up at the games. The fact that he did this
sober (well mostly sober) was quite the feat.

Nasty Nas wrote:Wow, that's really terrible. Glad he seems to be alright.

Ahh you found this place. Been lurking long or did you just find it?

It is surprised it doesn't happen more often with the amount of overpriced beer consumed at games. Seems like Murphy's Law that it happens to a sober guy. Tripping over a purse no less. Fortunately, he's ok.

PKC wrote:Insane. That must have been a scary thing to see live.

Especially for the "few onlookers he sailed by". That's the type of thing that only happens in movies.

Nasty Nas

Nasty Nas
Rookie
Rookie

hemlock34 wrote:
Nasty Nas wrote:Wow, that's really terrible. Glad he seems to be alright.

Ahh you found this place. Been lurking long or did you just find it?

It
is surprised it doesn't happen more often with the amount of overpriced
beer consumed at games. Seems like Murphy's Law that it happens to a
sober guy. Tripping over a purse no less. Fortunately, he's ok.

I just found it. Spoke with Collar Up the other day and he let me
know about it. Nice to see some familiar names. Looking
forward to some quality hockey talk!

Plenty of that here. Granted the majority is Sens fans here, but we'll talk about whatever. No trolls here either like that other site.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I just have two questions:

1. What happened to the beers? Did he manage to hold on? Did someone save them on the way down? Did that weird Scottish guy come up and call him a "Spilly faller"?

2. Why did he bring a purse to the game?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

My question is do you all believe he wasn't drunk?

21 year old male carrying 2 beers that were purchased before they stopped serving?

Sounds a little fishy. Just glad to hear no one was seriously injured.

- Unknown Author

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:My question is do you all believe he wasn't drunk?

21 year old male carrying 2 beers that were purchased before they stopped serving?

Sounds a little fishy. Just glad to hear no one was seriously injured.

This was crazy... I was in the 100's right under the guy.. I didn't see him fall, but saw all the security staff rushing over.. Was pretty crazy though, I can imagine for the people who he landed on too! Glad everyone was Ok...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hey Smash,

I ended up getting seats in section 102 and almost ended up with ones in 222 which is 2 sections over from where the incident occured.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Another scary thing is that this guy fell from row D in 324 and I have seats in Row D in the 300's as well. I carry my little one in a Sling and could have easily tripped over a purse in the same fashion but with my baby travelling with me. That sends chills down my back.

- Unknown Author

smash88

smash88
Veteran
Veteran

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Another scary thing is that this guy fell from row D in 324 and I have seats in Row D in the 300's as well. I carry my little one in a Sling and could have easily tripped over a purse in the same fashion but with my baby travelling with me. That sends chills down my back.

Yeah I have a feeling, your not the only one who will be taking an extra step from now on!

It's pretty crazy, but I wonder how he fell past 3 rows and then over a railing..

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wondered the same thing. My first thought, if I fell, while carrying two beers is: Screw the damn beers, what the heck can I grab onto and fast.

- Unknown Author

hemlock34 wrote:
PKC wrote:Insane. That must have been a scary thing to see live.

Especially for the "few onlookers he sailed by". That's the type of thing that only happens in movies.

A couple of things to note.

I have tickets in the section to the left of where this happened, actually the Row C in the exact same spot just one section over.

First this doesn't happen because at the bottom of the stairs is a 3foot piece of glass which is there to prevent people from doing what this guy did.

Second he didn't go over this piece of glass but actually slid to the left missing the glass but sliding over row A and then slowly over the rail. In effect his belly hit the lower rail and he continued to slide over.

Third because is was during the intermission people were not in the seats in Row A which means he was unobstructed when sliding over.

Lastly while I doubt he was drunk, if he was slightly intoxicated it may have helped him by relaxing his body making it able to absorb the impact of falling. Much like drunk drivers who survive a crash without injury while sober drivers are injured it's all about the bodies ability to relax that helps them.

Horrible inicident and a good reminder to my husband as to why that "friggen piece of glass" has to be at the bottom of the stairs obstructing his view of the game.

Dawg's wife

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum