GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

A place to vent

+21
DirtyDave
Cap'n Clutch
spader
rooneypoo
The Silfer Server
NEELY
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
shabbs
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
SensGirl11
Da lil Guy
SeawaySensFan
Ev
wprager
Riprock
tim1_2
PTFlea
22_4_ever
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 19]

196A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:55 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

DirtyDave wrote:I agree with the comments that parents have a huge part if not 100% at fault. If children don't see the parents excerices then they won't think that that is something to be important. Also, dinner table culture is important. Many kids now tell their parents what they want to eat and in general making diner time a stressful experience "eat your vegetables!", "don't eat so much!" etc. these comments can have psychological implications to kids. Or how about parents who give kids food when their bored. Ya all this crap happens and has an effect on future eating happens.

Parents didn't exercise in the 50s, come on, be reasonable! The exercise craze started in the late 70s. Father use to come home, put on his slippers, pull out his pipe and read the paper while sipping a bit of brandy. And kids played outside until suppertime. Obesity was rare, to say the least.

We have struggled for the last 15 years to eat as a family. Tough to do when the kids don't want to. Can't force them. Can't threaten them.

197A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:56 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:What's the deal with old folks calling a "Combination" pizza "all-dressed?"

This is an old folk thing, and also a French thing I think.  A lot of my French co-workers (even the youngish ones) call it "all-dressed".  Bunch of idiots.

In Montreal they call it all-dressed. "Combination" is an Ontario (or Ottawa) thing, not old.

198A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:58 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

wprager wrote:
DirtyDave wrote:I agree with the comments that parents have a huge part if not 100% at fault. If children don't see the parents excerices then they won't think that that is something to be important. Also, dinner table culture is important. Many kids now tell their parents what they want to eat and in general making diner time a stressful experience "eat your vegetables!", "don't eat so much!" etc. these comments can have psychological implications to kids. Or how about parents who give kids food when their bored. Ya all this crap happens and has an effect on future eating happens.

Parents didn't exercise in the 50s, come on, be reasonable!  The exercise craze started in the late 70s.  Father use to come home, put on his slippers, pull out his pipe and read the paper while sipping a bit of brandy.  And kids played outside until suppertime.  Obesity was rare, to say the least.

We have struggled for the last 15 years to eat as a family.  Tough to do when the kids don't want to.  Can't force them.  Can't threaten them.  

Usually after an 8 hour day of physical labour. That's exercise.

Again, I suggest to stop buying pop first. Stop buying juice as well as you shouldn't be drinking calories. By the sounds of it (and I apologize if I am incorrect here or insulting) don't think your kids are going to get up and go to the store to buy some.

One thing at a time.

199A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:01 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Pop is fine to have every now and then. Like, pop has been around forever and people weren't really fat years ago when you could go down to the local store and get a glass bottle

Something I find revolting: seeing somebody slamming a 591ml of Pepsi at 8 am.

200A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:02 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Another little trick is buying whole wheat flour vs white flour and buying raw sugar vs processed sugar. Just simple things like that help in the long run. Same goes for breads, whole wheat, not white.

201A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:03 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Ev wrote:Pop is fine to have every now and then. Like, pop has been around forever and people weren't really fat years ago when you could go down to the local store and get a glass bottle

Something I find revolting: seeing somebody slamming a 591ml of Pepsi at 8 am.

Haha too many of them. Destroys your stomach too

202A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:09 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:What's the deal with old folks calling a "Combination" pizza "all-dressed?"

This is an old folk thing, and also a French thing I think.  A lot of my French co-workers (even the youngish ones) call it "all-dressed".  Bunch of idiots.

In Montreal they call it all-dressed.  "Combination" is an Ontario (or Ottawa) thing, not old.

The only places I've heard it called "all-dressed" were not Montreal. Mostly by old people. Wrong again, W.P. Rager.

203A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:Another little trick is buying whole wheat flour vs white flour and buying raw sugar vs processed sugar.  Just simple things like that help in the long run.  Same goes for breads, whole wheat, not white.

Meh as long as you are eating the same as your BMR then eat bread all you want as long as you eat other things.

204A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:12 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I'm thinking of health overall and just little tricks for people to stay or get healthier.

205A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:22 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Essentials: vitamin D, fish oil

206A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:25 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Ev wrote:Essentials: vitamin D, fish oil

Which is good for you now egg yolks or whites? It switches every few years.

207A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:27 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Anyone wonder why there are some drivers who insist on driving comfortably below the speed limit even when road conditions dictate otherwise?

- Unknown Author

208A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:28 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You can get everything your body needs AND more through a few simple servings of sausage gravy each day.

Did someone say...sausage gravy?

A place to vent - Page 14 Biscuits%2Band%2BGravy-sm

209A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:32 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Anyone wonder why there are some drivers who insist on driving comfortably below the speed limit even when road conditions dictate otherwise?

Old age, brah.

210A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:35 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:You can get everything your body needs AND more through a few simple servings of sausage gravy each day.  

A place to vent - Page 14 Biscuits%2Band%2BGravy-sm

Someone did indeed!

Which reminds me, what's up with old folks saying that no-one *ever* says "sausage gravy?"

211A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:36 pm

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:You can get everything your body needs AND more through a few simple servings of sausage gravy each day.  

Maybe stick to the 'that's what she said' rules and wait till someone says something to post the sausage gravy....otherwise loses its' novelty. my two cents.....also I just said it.

212A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:50 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:

Maybe stick to the 'that's what she said' rules and wait till someone says something to post the sausage gravy....otherwise loses its' novelty.  my two cents.....also I just said it.  

Your two cents is always welcomed and encouraged in "A place to vent."

213A place to vent - Page 14 Empty Re: A place to vent Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:54 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:
Maybe stick to the 'that's what she said' rules and wait till someone says something to post the sausage gravy....otherwise loses its' novelty. my two cents.....also I just said it.

A place to vent - Page 14 L

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum