GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

A place to vent

+21
DirtyDave
Cap'n Clutch
spader
rooneypoo
The Silfer Server
NEELY
Number Twenty Nine
Hoags
SensHulk
shabbs
TheAvatar
LeCaptain
SensGirl11
Da lil Guy
SeawaySensFan
Ev
wprager
Riprock
tim1_2
PTFlea
22_4_ever
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 19]

121A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:25 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

NEELY wrote:No reason for kids to be inactive, none.

One thing's for sure. When I need advice on how to raise my kids and ensure they're healthy and fit my first place to turn is always someone in their 20s or 30s with no kids. Who's with me?

122A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:30 am

tim1_2

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

One thing's for sure. When I need advice on how to raise my kids and ensure they're healthy and fit my first place to turn is always someone in their 20s or 30s with no kids. Who's with me?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH BUDDY! *high five*

123A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:33 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

One thing's for sure.  When I need advice on how to raise my kids and ensure they're healthy and fit my first place to turn is always someone in their 20s or 30s with no kids. Who's with me?

Ask my parents then, they raised 2 pretty active and fit children. Same for the fiances except the raised 4 of them. It's a cycle like anything else and IMO it's a form of abuse in a lot of ways. Up to the parents to break it.

124A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:27 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Your parents raised an bunghole though Sarcasm 

125A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:36 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Most would agree.

126A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:46 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

One thing's for sure.  When I need advice on how to raise my kids and ensure they're healthy and fit my first place to turn is always someone in their 20s or 30s with no kids. Who's with me?

YEAAAAAAAAAAAH BUDDY!  *high five*

Cheers 

127A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I still maintain there is only so much parents can do. Our oldest, doesn't want to go out and do anything. When he was younger we pushed him into swimming, soccer, skating, bike rides. Eventually the pushing becomes difficult. I swear, if it wasn't for us not keeping any chips/cookies/sugar cereals in the house he'd be in a bit of trouble. I worry what could happen when he moves out on his own, without us nagging him to eat veggies, cut down on crap. Our second, he's skinny like a rake. Did soccer and swimming when younger, then switched to hockey 5 years ago, and has gotten into running the last couple of years. He doesn't crave desserts and fatty foods like his brother, but his diet is extremely limited. We go to a Chinese buffet and he piles his plate full of chicken wings; at home, with 90% of what we cook he ends up making a bowl of KD for himself. But at least he's skinny and exercises very regularly.

Same parents (and also close in age so no big changes from one to the other) yet completely different. Nature wins.

128A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:00 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Well played.

129A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:08 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:I still maintain there is only so much parents can do.  Our oldest, doesn't want to go out and do anything.  When he was younger we pushed him into swimming, soccer, skating, bike rides.  Eventually the pushing becomes difficult.  I swear, if it wasn't for us not keeping any chips/cookies/sugar cereals in the house he'd be in a bit of trouble.  I worry what could happen when he moves out on his own, without us nagging him to eat veggies, cut down on crap.  Our second, he's skinny like a rake.  Did soccer and swimming when younger, then switched to hockey 5 years ago, and has gotten into running the last couple of years.  He doesn't crave desserts and fatty foods like his brother, but his diet is extremely limited.  We go to a Chinese buffet and he piles his plate full of chicken wings; at home, with 90% of what we cook he ends up making a bowl of KD for himself.  But at least he's skinny and exercises very regularly.

Same parents (and also close in age so no big changes from one to the other) yet completely different.  Nature wins.

I only get wings and egg rolls and fried chicken from chinese places lol.

Get him some why protein and get him to lift. How old is he? Tell him to bulk up for high school.

As for the first kid, that sounds like I was. If he isn't fat or anything like that and if he's happy I'd say there's not much you can do.

130A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:15 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

You don't need all the garbage protein and whey products, you need a healthy diet and consistent exercise. Find a hill, run up that 10 times hard. Every time you get to the top do 20 pushups, every time you get to the bottom do 20 sit ups. If the hill is too easy find a rock and run up with that.

You don't need a bench press (although it helps), you don't need a tredmil, you don't need a personal trainer. You need discipline and that's it. After that let the kid have a treat, let him eat some chips, w/e. You work hard you should be rewarded like anything else.

Only thing people should 100% always stay away from is pop.

131A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

You don't need the garbage ones, but whey protein isolate (with nothing else added, no suagrs or caffeine and all that crap) like Gold Standard really helps. It's not a need but if you don't eat a lot of protein it is good to take.

Yeah drink water and that's it as your everyday beverage

132A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:18 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

This is like a veritable cornucopia of amazing diet and parenting tips!

133A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

also don't give your kid weed, spezd

134A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:19 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

All I eat is sausage gravy.

Did someone say...sausage gravy?

A place to vent - Page 9 Biscuits-and-Gravy-Sausage-Gravy

135A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:25 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Ev wrote:You don't need the garbage ones, but whey protein isolate (with nothing else added, no suagrs or caffeine and all that crap) like Gold Standard really helps. It's not a need but if you don't eat a lot of protein it is good to take.

Drinking a lot of water is huge.

If you have a healthy diet though and very balanced you don't need the protein or other alternatives to good eating. You have 5 smaller meals a day (not possible for most people) or just 3 very square and balanced meals you will be fine.

Another big thing is no carbs after a certain time of day especially after say 5pm. I don't even have carbs after noon... once in the morning to jump start the body and that's it and it's never white bread. There are lots of very easy things to do to keep weight down outside of exercising.

136A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:26 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:All I eat is sausage gravy.

Did someone say...sausage gravy?

A place to vent - Page 9 Biscuits-and-Gravy-Sausage-Gravy

Plenty of protein in sausage gravy.

137A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:
Ev wrote:You don't need the garbage ones, but whey protein isolate (with nothing else added, no suagrs or caffeine and all that crap) like Gold Standard really helps. It's not a need but if you don't eat a lot of protein it is good to take.

Drinking a lot of water is huge.  

If you have a healthy diet though and very balanced you don't need the protein or other alternatives to good eating.  You have 5 smaller meals a day (not possible for most people) or just 3 very square and balanced meals you will be fine.

Another big thing is no carbs after a certain time of day especially after say 5pm.  I don't even have carbs after noon... once in the morning to jump start the body and that's it and it's never white bread.  There are lots of very easy things to do to keep weight down outside of exercising.  

Intermittent fasting is also an option (if we're talking about fat people here - not sure if wprager was implying that). You can do it in different ways too - for example only eating 25% of your caloric intake every second day, or only eating in a 8 hour window every day, etc.

Protein would be mainly for after the workouts. I find it really helps to add muscle and aid in recovery. I also had just pure protein shakes before for breakfast which really fills you up for the day. I don't even breakfast right now though.

138A place to vent - Page 9 Empty Re: A place to vent Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:37 pm

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Eating breakfast is super important and a super bad habit if you don't.

Chugging a chocolate milk after a workout (not a liter of it, like 500ml) is also a great way to have a treat and give your body something it is craving, carbs, sugars, proteins. After a workout though protein is everything.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 19]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum