GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1

+8
Ev
jawal
Cap'n Clutch
NEELY
TheAvatar
sandysensfan
SensHulk
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1

Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Vote_lcap215%Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 15% [ 2 ]
Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Vote_lcap285%Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Vote_rcap2 85% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

31Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:39 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:If I was happy I'd be all over Landeskog. Zibanejad not so much. Landeskog is way more ripped and NHL-ready.

Depends on if you are planning a parade next year or a few years down the road, right? And, as much as most here seem to be against it, I'd take Couturier. He a center, which is a burning need (we sent Fisher and Kelly packing, remember?), he is big (he could add some mass, for sure, but he's got size and we all know you can't teach that). Isolated by Spezza on the 2nd line, with lowered expectations this coming season for the team, he can take a bit of time to grow into the role. And playing alongside The Alfie he could certainly learn from the best when it comes to grit, determination and defensive responsibility.

We've got wingers (Alfie, Michalek, Foligno, Butler, Greening, Regin -- sorry, I still don't see him as a 2nd line center on this team) but we're shallow at center. A lot of players who have played center before but can't make it at that position in the NHL. I'd even go as far as grabbing the two best centers we can in the first round, because we certainly need to also look 5-6 years down the road.

32Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:49 am

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:If I was happy I'd be all over Landeskog. Zibanejad not so much. Landeskog is way more ripped and NHL-ready.

Depends on if you are planning a parade next year or a few years down the road, right? And, as much as most here seem to be against it, I'd take Couturier. He a center, which is a burning need (we sent Fisher and Kelly packing, remember?), he is big (he could add some mass, for sure, but he's got size and we all know you can't teach that). Isolated by Spezza on the 2nd line, with lowered expectations this coming season for the team, he can take a bit of time to grow into the role. And playing alongside The Alfie he could certainly learn from the best when it comes to grit, determination and defensive responsibility.

We've got wingers (Alfie, Michalek, Foligno, Butler, Greening, Regin -- sorry, I still don't see him as a 2nd line center on this team) but we're shallow at center. A lot of players who have played center before but can't make it at that position in the NHL. I'd even go as far as grabbing the two best centers we can in the first round, because we certainly need to also look 5-6 years down the road.

Landeskog can play both C and LW, same with Huberdeau, Strome's a C, Zibby's a C, Couturier's a C - I think we're getting a C! Ahhhhh!

33Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:51 pm

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Couturier is 6'4". Just wait till he fills out to 215-220 lbs.

34Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:53 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's a out-from-left-field take on Couturier from an Oilers fan who wants to take him at #1:
http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/community/topic/10959-sean-couturier-for-1-center-in-the-draft/

P.S. What the heck is a "re-madona" player? Don't people read anymore? They certainly can't write.

35Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:57 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

I especially liked the "compete level" on of the posters saw "at columbine".

36Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Now that I'm actively looking for info on those two, it appears that Strome is the guy for us, so I'll vote as such! Ahhhhh!

37Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:02 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Back in November of 2010 Couturier was ranked 1st, then he had mono. Here's another take from a Colorado blog:

'He's still a little lean,' McGuire said of Couturier. 'He was predicted to be this monster power forward, of a Lindros ilk, and he isn't … yet. But, if in a year or two he is, God bless the team that drafts him, whether it is No. 1, 2, 3 or 6.'

Let's make that #2, please...

'Mononucleosis is one of those things that the expert medical scouts say it takes a full year to get back from that,' McGuire said. 'Well, if he falls all the way to No. 6, and somebody grabs him and he does recover more fully from his draft year mononucleosis — I mean, they may have the best player in the draft at No. 6.'

I didn't realize it could take a year to recover from mono. I guess it didn't show much with 96 points on the year.

38Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:07 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Back in November of 2010 Couturier was ranked 1st, then he had mono. Here's another take from a Colorado blog:

'He's still a little lean,' McGuire said of Couturier. 'He was predicted to be this monster power forward, of a Lindros ilk, and he isn't … yet. But, if in a year or two he is, God bless the team that drafts him, whether it is No. 1, 2, 3 or 6.'

Let's make that #2, please...

'Mononucleosis is one of those things that the expert medical scouts say it takes a full year to get back from that,' McGuire said. 'Well, if he falls all the way to No. 6, and somebody grabs him and he does recover more fully from his draft year mononucleosis — I mean, they may have the best player in the draft at No. 6.'

I didn't realize it could take a year to recover from mono. I guess it didn't show much with 96 points on the year.

Holy lord, that's f-ing insanity when you realize that he went through mono. Same with Cowen - and both of them rebounded. To think that Coutuier might not even be fully ready to compete and still got 96 points is ridiculous.

I was already kind of on that bandwagon (if Lando and Huberdeau and RNH are gone), now I think he's the guy if he's around.

39Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:11 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SpezDispenser wrote:
Holy lord, that's f-ing insanity when you realize that he went through mono. Same with Cowen - and both of them rebounded. To think that Coutuier might not even be fully ready to compete and still got 96 points is ridiculous.

I was already kind of on that bandwagon (if Lando and Huberdeau and RNH are gone), now I think he's the guy if he's around.

Pretty sure he'll be around. Unless the GMs listen to fan blogs, which I'm sure they don't. Not anymore, not since JFJ got canned.

40Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

It's not just the mono, it's his drive. Avs scouts compare him to Perry and Ryan. He has their skill level but he'll need the drive.

41Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:55 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Big Ev wrote:It's not just the mono, it's his drive. Avs scouts compare him to Perry and Ryan. He has their skill level but he'll need the drive.

Were there any issues with his drive in late 2009, when he was ranked 1st overall? Mononucleosis can do a number on your "drive".

42Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:03 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
Big Ev wrote:It's not just the mono, it's his drive. Avs scouts compare him to Perry and Ryan. He has their skill level but he'll need the drive.

Were there any issues with his drive in late 2009, when he was ranked 1st overall? Mononucleosis can do a number on your "drive".

I'm not sure, but he checked a lot more and with a lot more umph in 2009 than in this past season.

He said mono did not affect his game this season after about a quarter way through.

43Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:04 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hopefully we'll have a choice between Couturier and Strome at #6...

44Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:10 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:
Pretty sure he'll be around. Unless the GMs listen to fan blogs, which I'm sure they don't. Not anymore, not since JFJ got canned.

I dunno man...we'll see on draft day. As much as I think a team like the Devils or Isles should take Murphy or Hamilton, they might have severely different ideas.

45Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:57 pm

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

SpezDispenser wrote:
wprager wrote:

I dunno man...we'll see on draft day. As much as I think a team like the Devils or Isles should take Murphy or Hamilton, they might have severely different ideas.

How dare they ?

46Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:17 pm

sandysensfan

Veteran
Veteran

If he is like Perry and Ryan... where do I sign up to get on his bandwagon.

That would be too much to give up.. he could fall to 6.

47Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:22 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

TheAvatar wrote:
How dare they ?

Yep, that's how I feel.

48Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Ottawa Draft Poll: Part 1 Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 pm

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

sandysensfan wrote:

If he is like Perry and Ryan... where do I sign up to get on his bandwagon.

That would be too much to give up.. he could fall to 6.

By all accounts they would pick Strome over him.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum