GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate?

+5
tim1_2
Ev
rooneypoo
shabbs
PTFlea
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate?

POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_lcap20%POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_lcap27%POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_rcap2 7% [ 2 ]
POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_lcap27%POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_rcap2 7% [ 2 ]
POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_lcap20%POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_rcap2 0% [ 0 ]
POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_lcap226%POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_rcap2 26% [ 7 ]
POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_lcap241%POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_rcap2 41% [ 11 ]
POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_lcap211%POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_rcap2 11% [ 3 ]
POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_lcap24%POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_rcap2 4% [ 1 ]
POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_lcap24%POLL: Does Ottawa have a big breakout candidate? Vote_rcap2 4% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

It's an interesting question IMO.  There are several players on the Sens who are either entering their second year which could mean sophomore slump or it could mean they take it to the next level.  There's an interesting rookie and there's a 'veteran' at 21 years old.

Who's the most likely in your opinion to break out and have a big year?

For me, I'll go with the new shiny toy in Alex Chiasson.  Why?  Because of the well documented battle he had with a bout of the flu that saw him go from 206 pounds to 185.  He tried playing through it for a while, but the result of it was a 3 point stretch in 21 games.   Take out that stretch and he was looking at a very strong rookie campaign of 22 points in 35 games (he had 25 points in his first 56 games last year).

He also missed a ton of chances and had to deal with it as a rookie - which we all know is hard to do.  Mike Heika says this:

=I've contended that he's starting to learn to deal with the pressure of being a goal-scorer. It weighs on you mentally. Mix in the sickness and weight loss, and he's had a tough couple of months. I do see him getting more scoring opportunities, so he could be working his way out of the slump."]

So, can Ottawa expect a similar pace as he put up to start last season?  A .62 PPG pace which would have him nestled comfortably in the 50 point range?  Or is this season going to be another learning season for Chiasson?

Whatever the outcome, I think it's clear Chiasson had some solid success as a rookie - and some huge hurdles to overcome - which leads me to pick him as a guy who could come into Ottawa and have a breakout season.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Lazaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaariffic.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Stone, for me.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Zibby due to increased role and increased confidence, skill, maturation, etc.

Maybe he and stone can breakout together

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Stone.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Zibanejad, 50 pts

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Zib and Stone. Why is multiple votes turned on?

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

id like it to be chiasson but i expect a few growing pains switching markets. still, depends how he's used and with who.
zib on the other hand is going to be given plenty of chances to be able to succeed. i expect him to be surrounded by hungry wingers so yeah, 50 pts is something we could see.

lazar will have to adjust. if he does make the team he'll see thee NHL is a different beast, but it's to be expected.
stone, as much as i want him to succeed he gets injured often. if he can spend the whole season healthy and in ottawa while bringing an NHL game every night i'll be happy. i'll be really happy if he puts in 20!

another guy who will hopefully find his form again is weircioch

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, Chiasson is on a different team in a different Conference. He may not even make it in the top six, so that is another factor to consider.

I can't say Lazar because his name is not about points anyway (plus there is a very good chance he will get nine games on the third or fourth line and then back to junior).

Lazar and Stone are the best candidates but with Legwand here it looks like Zibby will be centering the third line, whereas Stone is likely to play on the second line.

Dark horse is Lehner. If he gets some starts early and PMac let's him go for a fun, look out.

Safe bet would be Stone because he's most likely to get to Sid minutes.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

spader wrote:Zib and Stone. Why is multiple votes turned on?

it shouldn't be....not sure why that's happening.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

wprager wrote:Yeah, Chiasson is on a different team in a different Conference.  He may not even make it in the top six, so that is another factor to consider.  

I can't say Lazar because his name is not about points anyway (plus there is a very good chance he will get nine games on the third or fourth line and then back to junior).

Lazar and Stone are the best candidates but with Legwand here it looks like Zibby will be centering the third line, whereas Stone is likely to play on the second line.

Dark horse is Lehner. If he gets some starts early and PMac let's him go for a fun, look out.

Safe bet would be Stone because he's most likely to get to Sid minutes.

How does "top six" become "to Sid"?

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

SNet says Chiasson set to break out... maybe...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-breakout-players-2014-15-eastern-conference/

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

shabbs wrote:SNet says Chiasson set to break out... maybe...

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-breakout-players-2014-15-eastern-conference/
Tough doing that after moving to another team and another Conference.

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:
shabbs wrote:SNet says Chiasson set to break out... maybe...

Tough doing that after moving to another team and another Conference.
I guess if sportsnet is predicting it it won't happen then. Too bad

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Wiercioch, according to The Score.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum