GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Confirmed: Anderson Signs 4 year extension

+18
stempniaksen
22_4_ever
Number Twenty Nine
TheAvatar
dennycrane
Jordo
SDH89
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Hoags
LethalLehner
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
Flo The Action
shabbs
spader
PTFlea
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Go down  Message [Page 13 of 13]

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Well, people in Ottawa have a right to be pesimistic about goaltending in Ottawa, no one has ever really worked out. Anderson was the right move and easily the best option going forward.

Number Twenty Nine

Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:The only bald dude the Name Dropper likes, is himself... Sarcasm

I especially liked how he wouldn't admit it was a reasonable deal after he was given numbers. There was an awkward pause and he said he had "to see the paperwork."

Laugh1

I think the awkward pause is likely PM's GM aspirations vaporizing before his eyes. I'm leaning towards signing Murray to another year - certainly ahead of signing that creepy bastard.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
I think the awkward pause is likely PM's GM aspirations vaporizing before his eyes. I'm leaning towards signing Murray to another year - certainly ahead of signing that creepy bastard.

I think McGuire said the first thing he would do as Sens GM is trade for Ryan Ellis....

I really think he'd trade as much of the existing team + prospects as he could to get as many of his "Monsters".

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Yeah, because The Sens don't have Ryan Ellis x 10 in Karlsson. He may put up 50 points this year before the age of 21 and Ellis hasn't sniffed professional hockey yet.

Also have this RH offensive D man named Rundblad.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:
I think McGuire said the first thing he would do as Sens GM is trade for Ryan Ellis....

I really think he'd trade as much of the existing team + prospects as he could to get as many of his "Monsters".

Geez, that doesn't make any sense with the guys we have coming up. If he was to say someone like - he'd move the Nashville pick up to grab Siemens so one day he and Cowen could patrol the blueline as nasty bastards, then I'd agree, but Ellis? Why not just save yourself the pain and suffering of trying to meet Nashville's price and just use your top 3 pick on Murphy (which is suicide for the Sens)? I don't understand...

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:

Another McGuire fixation: World Juniors.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:The Name Dropper seemed a little unimpressed with the deal. Although, when faced with numbers ie. potentially the 20th ranked goalie in terms of salary in the league, he still wouldn't change his position.

He, like others, cite that 4th year as an issue. I say "so what?" Pretty much ANY contract has risks associated. Players aren't going to play for free any time soon so let's be realistic here.

Maybe Pierre just realized that he's *not* getting Murray's job next year.

Everyone would have done a dance in the streets if we got Anderson at $3.5M x 3. Well, think of this is just that, plus an extra year at $2.25. Even if Lehner is our #1 in that 4th year (a stretch, IMO) we'd still need a backup, and a very good one (we should be competing by then, and you don't want a rookie/sophomore and a plug). A decent backup who can fill in as the #1 will cost you that much.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Saw this great article on how time in the AHL helps goalies:

http://ingoalmag.com/news/rookie-nhl-goalies-are-years-in-the-minors-making/

“At the time you may not realize it, you may be frustrated or anxious to make it to the next level but looking back I realize how much it did mean to me and how I matured,” said Schneider, who spent three seasons in the AHL before getting the Canucks backup job. “Adjusting to the pace of shots, being mentally tough, not getting shaken or rattled or upset after giving up goals – it’s all part of it and playing over 100 games in the American League helps ease those nerves.”

“I’m always amazed when I see 18 year old goalies like a guy like Mason or Carey Price make it right out of junior,” Schneider said. “It’s incredible because I know when I was 18 I was a freshman in college and I was nowhere near ready for this. I find it funny when people criticize either one of those kids because they are still 20, 21, 22 years old. Most goalies don’t even make the league until they are 25, 26, so you look at the raw talent and think that they are going to be just fine. They are still young and have a lot of growing to do so for people to criticize them is ridiculous if you look at their ceiling.”

Unlike Price and Mason, Schneider got to experience his early setbacks in the relative anonymity of the minor leagues, before finally getting to show how high his ceiling might be this season. Not that there haven’t been adjustments. Even this season, Schneider has simplified his game, playing deeper in his crease rather than starting out aggressively and drifting back with the attack, an “outside-in” style that depends more in timing and rhythm than the more passive technique he is using successfully now. Bernier has also shortened up since coming out of junior, positioning himself with his toes inside the top of the blue ice when play is in the zone rather than his old “heels out” style.

Real good article

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Really interesting article, thanks for finding and posting.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:The Name Dropper seemed a little unimpressed with the deal. Although, when faced with numbers ie. potentially the 20th ranked goalie in terms of salary in the league, he still wouldn't change his position.

He, like others, cite that 4th year as an issue. I say "so what?" Pretty much ANY contract has risks associated. Players aren't going to play for free any time soon so let's be realistic here.

Maybe Pierre just realized that he's *not* getting Murray's job next year.

Everyone would have done a dance in the streets if we got Anderson at $3.5M x 3. Well, think of this is just that, plus an extra year at $2.25. Even if Lehner is our #1 in that 4th year (a stretch, IMO) we'd still need a backup, and a very good one (we should be competing by then, and you don't want a rookie/sophomore and a plug). A decent backup who can fill in as the #1 will cost you that much.

Even in years 3 and 4, Lehner won't be making any more than 1.8 million, so your total cap hit on the goaltending position is no more than 5 million. That will be good value for the money, IMO.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I usually don't read Hockey News but they had an interesting bit on goalies

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/38918-Mike-Rosatis-Blog-How-a-goalie-leads-his-team.html

A team takes on the personality of its goaltender. If the guys know their goalie is going to stay in there and battle and give them a chance to win the game, regardless of the score, they will adopt that mentality and fight for him. On the other hand, if the goalie gives up when he feels the game is lost, all of the energy will be sucked out of his teammates as well.

The Sens certainly took on the personality of Glasscal and Elliott.

Injury prone and quit partway through the game.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Hoags wrote:I usually don't read Hockey News but they had an interesting bit on goalies

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/38918-Mike-Rosatis-Blog-How-a-goalie-leads-his-team.html

A team takes on the personality of its goaltender. If the guys know their goalie is going to stay in there and battle and give them a chance to win the game, regardless of the score, they will adopt that mentality and fight for him. On the other hand, if the goalie gives up when he feels the game is lost, all of the energy will be sucked out of his teammates as well.

The Sens certainly took on the personality of Glasscal and Elliott.

Injury prone and quit partway through the game.

It also echoes Anderson's "grow with the team" comments.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 13 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum