GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

CONFIRMED: Semin re-signs with Caps, 6.7/1 year

+8
spader
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
shabbs
SensHulk
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

cmasisak22 Corey Masisak
by ScoreOttawa
#Caps sign Alexander Semin to a one-year contract extension. Team source says it is for $6.7 million.

For 6.7 million, 1 season.

Didn't see that coming personally.

Why another one year deal though? I guess the Caps are really uncertain whether they can commit to this guy long term.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

Is brooks laich a ufa this off-season? If so, does this spell the end of him in Washington....

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Michallica wrote:Is brooks laich a ufa this off-season? If so, does this spell the end of him in Washington....

I would say they keep him at the expense of Knuble. That's my opinion.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:Why another one year deal though? I guess the Caps are really uncertain whether they can commit to this guy long term.

Yeah, that was the first thing I thought of.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

When does the CBA expire? Preparing for a lockout?

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Good - at least that means that there's one less guy for Ottawa to blow their budget on.

Yes, Laich is a UFA, coming off of a $2,066,667 deal. Still should be an Ottawa Senator though - what a disaster that trade was. That is why you NEVER give up on a propsect, cause it comes back to bite you in the Donkey. This guy has captain material written all over him.

The one year deal gives the Caps a lot of flexibility. One, they have Ovechkin locked down at a lot of cash and for a lot of years, as well as Backstrom and Green. Plus thye have a lot of other young guys that they might want to hang on to - Carlsson and Alzner to name a few - and they also have quite a bit of UFAs to think about re-signing.

Plus if they decide to move him, it is a lot easier to move a guy who is a UFA so that ther new team can let him go or choose to re-sign him to their own terms.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Speaking of flexibility:

Semin extension by the way does NOT include either NTC nor NMC.

Pete LeBrun

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

hemlock wrote:Why another one year deal though? I guess the Caps are really uncertain whether they can commit to this guy long term.

CBA expiring?

SeawaySensFan wrote:Speaking of flexibility:

Pete LeBrun
Not surprised. I read somewhere that Caps feel they missed their trade window with Semin and now his value is decreased from the start of the season. Maybe they are hoping he'll regain some value. This guy would fetch a lot on the deadline next year methinks.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

hemlock wrote:

Pete LeBrun
Not surprised. I read somewhere that Caps feel they missed their trade window with Semin and now his value is decreased from the start of the season. Maybe they are hoping he'll regain some value. This guy would fetch a lot on the deadline next year methinks.

I'm not sure if it's been brought up but the 1 year deal might point to a possible re-negotiation of the CBA?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

SeawaySensFan wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Pete LeBrun

I'm not sure if it's been brought up but the 1 year deal might point to a possible re-negotiation of the CBA?

Speaking of which, anyone else think that NMC/NTC will be heavily scrutinized in the next CBA?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Speaking of which, anyone else think that NMC/NTC will be heavily scrutinized in the next CBA?

Obviously will fight tooth and nail to keep the status quo but I think a reasonable compromise would be to allow the NMC at a certain age only and that all NTCs should be "limited" in nature.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Or just give a fine to any GM that hands one out.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:

Pete LeBrun

Or perhaps it's a sign and trade? Probably not on a 1 year deal though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum