GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

CONFIRMED: Semin re-signs with Caps, 6.7/1 year

+8
spader
Cap'n Clutch
wprager
SeawaySensFan
Riprock
shabbs
SensHulk
PTFlea
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Speaking of which, anyone else think that NMC/NTC will be heavily scrutinized in the next CBA?

Obviously will fight tooth and nail to keep the status quo but I think a reasonable compromise would be to allow the NMC at a certain age only and that all NTCs should be "limited" in nature.

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Or just give a fine to any GM that hands one out.

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

hemlock wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:Speaking of flexibility:

Semin extension by the way does NOT include either NTC nor NMC.

Pete LeBrun
Not surprised. I read somewhere that Caps feel they missed their trade window with Semin and now his value is decreased from the start of the season. Maybe they are hoping he'll regain some value. This guy would fetch a lot on the deadline next year methinks.

Or perhaps it's a sign and trade? Probably not on a 1 year deal though.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:

Pete LeBrun
Not surprised. I read somewhere that Caps feel they missed their trade window with Semin and now his value is decreased from the start of the season. Maybe they are hoping he'll regain some value. This guy would fetch a lot on the deadline next year methinks.

Probably would, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Why would the Caps, who will likely be contenders for the Cup, want to trade one of their top-6 players? Caps will be buyers this year and next.

Book it.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:When does the CBA expire? Preparing for a lockout?

I haven't seen anyone answer this yet so I will.

The current CBA will expire on September 15/2012 and has an automatic renewal on a year-to-year basis. It was originally scheduled to conclude on the same day in 2011, but the NHLPA used their one-time option and voted to extend the CBA for one more year.

Although the contract has an automatic renewal, the NHL has already stated its intention - although not officially - to exercise their right to terminate the CBA and must make their intention known to the NHLPA before June 7th of the expiring year.

CockRoche

CockRoche
Veteran
Veteran

So is Semin still coming to Ottawa this offseason?

SeawaySensFan? Please help.

spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Pete LeBrun

Probably would, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Why would the Caps, who will likely be contenders for the Cup, want to trade one of their top-6 players? Caps will be buyers this year and next.

Book it.

If he's playing up to potential, he fetches a top 6 in return, and then some. They certainly wouldn't be trading him for a package of future assets. But if they can find a deal where they can spread out the cap hit and remain just as competitive they'd move him I suspect. With AO making 9+ million, and Backstrom and Green on larger contracts, can they really afford Semin long term?

SeawaySensFan wrote:
wprager wrote:Speaking of which, anyone else think that NMC/NTC will be heavily scrutinized in the next CBA?

Obviously will fight tooth and nail to keep the status quo but I think a reasonable compromise would be to allow the NMC at a certain age only and that all NTCs should be "limited" in nature.

Also, the owners should really look at a stipulation that says if a player requests a trade (it would have to be official ie. in writing), his NTC/NMC becomes either void, or limited. That way players can't hold franchises hostage like a certain gap-toothed prick who shall remain nameless.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Pete LeBrun

Book it.

If he's playing up to potential, he fetches a top 6 in return, and then some. They certainly wouldn't be trading him for a package of future assets. But if they can find a deal where they can spread out the cap hit and remain just as competitive they'd move him I suspect. With AO making 9+ million, and Backstrom and Green on larger contracts, can they really afford Semin long term?

If they're rolling into the playoffs and looking like a contender, why would they try to flip him for another top-6? Even if it saves them money, there's no good reason for that move.

spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:
spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Pete LeBrun

Book it.

If they're rolling into the playoffs and looking like a contender, why would they try to flip him for another top-6? Even if it saves them money, there's no good reason for that move.

Because if he's unsigned by the deadline next year, do they risk letting him hit UFA status? No chance. Not one. Besides, like I said, they can't carry too many hefty salaries, especially with younger players going to need raises in the next few years.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

hemlock wrote:
spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:
spader wrote:
hemlock wrote:

Pete LeBrun

Book it.

Because if he's unsigned by the deadline next year, do they risk letting him hit UFA status? No chance. Not one. Besides, like I said, they can't carry too many hefty salaries, especially with younger players going to need raises in the next few years.

Agree to disagree I guess. I don't see any way that they Cuss with chemistry when they're rolling into the playoffs. Teams are necessarily short-sighted at the deadline. If you're in a position to make a run at the Cup, you buy or stand. I see no value in salary-dumping or trying to swap an elite player out just prior to the playoffs.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

The UFA crop just got a lot less....spunky. Ahhhhh!

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:The UFA crop just got a lot less....spunky. Ahhhhh!
Laughing3

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Caps were smart for not signing him to a long-term deal. That would have been a really sticky situation.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The deal was going to be for $5.7M, but they threw him an extra $1M for promising to never fight, ever again.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:The deal was going to be for $5.7M, but they threw him an extra $1M for promising to never fight, ever again.

You do know that you can't post that without posting the "fight", right?

And here's Ovechkin having a little fun at Semin's expense:

History will be made ...

Good times.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

tim1_2 wrote:The deal was going to be for $5.7M, but they threw him an extra $1M for promising to never fight, ever again.

Drums

Flo The Action

Flo The Action
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:The UFA crop just got a lot less....spunky. Ahhhhh!
but seriously, this is looking to be a horrible year on the FA front. i see alot more trades happening on the draft floor. which could spell a few more picks and prospects for us.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum