GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Semin signs 1 year extension worth 6 million dollars

+4
garblar
beedub
asq2
Phoenix30
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=303640

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/semins-deal-6-million.html

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

I'm confused as to why it's so short.

Anyway, now the Caps can focus almost exclusively on getting Backstrom signed. He's far more important IMO.

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

I am a little puzzled as well as to why it's only a 1 year deal. Maybe it's to gauge whether they'll get Backstrom under contract. If not, then next year Semin gets the multi-year

garblar

garblar
Rookie
Rookie

when does nylander's deal end.... maybe they are waiting to give semin a bigger deal when nylander is gone.

edit: yeah nylander is up after next season. thats probably why its only 1 year

Last edited by garblar on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

beedub wrote:I am a little puzzled as well as to why it's only a 1 year deal. Maybe it's to gauge whether they'll get Backstrom under contract. If not, then next year Semin gets the multi-year

Not getting Backstrom under contract isn't an option.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hmmm. Money must be pretty low if Washington's giving up the year of RFA. Get him into the area where Nylander won't count, then Theodore comes off and then sign Backstrom and Semin long term? I'll be curious to see if he gets 5 million or closer to 3.5 (or neither potentially).

garblar

garblar
Rookie
Rookie

wasnt semin already at 5.5 or near it?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

garblar wrote:wasnt semin already at 5.5 or near it?

$4.6M

garblar

garblar
Rookie
Rookie

4.6 average cap hit, but 5 in salary for this year

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

garblar wrote:wasnt semin already at 5.5 or near it?

Yeah, I was thinking he might take a discount on a 1-year so the unwanted salaries can come off the books, then do a Hossa-style contract, but I have a feeling I might be dead wrong. Sounds like a 5+ depending on where you read.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalsinsider/semins-deal-6-million.html

6 million dollars. I don't understand this deal, but whatever turns them all on.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Smart move by Semin and his agent. A good deal, with hopes of an increased cap in the 11-12 season. That will allow them to get more money on a longer term deal then.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

You know, as good as Ovechkin is, the amount of money he signed for is ridiculous and detrimental to the team in the long run. Had he taken $2mil less/yr, then it might have been possible for Washington to retain all three of their big gun forwards (OV, Backstrom and Semin), and have the latter two sign for identical contracts similar to Kane/Toews. They will also want to be able to keep Green and a few other key players.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum