GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Confirmed: Anderson Signs 4 year extension

+18
stempniaksen
22_4_ever
Number Twenty Nine
TheAvatar
dennycrane
Jordo
SDH89
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Hoags
LethalLehner
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
Flo The Action
shabbs
spader
PTFlea
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 12 of 13]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:The only bald dude the Name Dropper likes, is himself... Sarcasm

I especially liked how he wouldn't admit it was a reasonable deal after he was given numbers. There was an awkward pause and he said he had "to see the paperwork."

Laugh1

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:The Name Dropper seemed a little unimpressed with the deal. Although, when faced with numbers ie. potentially the 20th ranked goalie in terms of salary in the league, he still wouldn't change his position.

He, like others, cite that 4th year as an issue. I say "so what?" Pretty much ANY contract has risks associated. Players aren't going to play for free any time soon so let's be realistic here.

Honest to goodness, people get so wrapped up in the 4th year as if they actually know what the future will hold. Anderson was the 3rd ranked UFA-to-be goalie by most everyone's standards, he's a solid player who's payed his dues, he's in the prime of his career and he was just signed to a below market-value package. Sometimes the media just needs to step back and say, 'hey, nice job signing that guy!', but that doesn't sell papers or TV spots I guess.

Hoags

All-Star
All-Star

I think The Name Dropper preferred Howard and Vokoun over Anderson.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:I think The Name Dropper preferred Howard and Vokoun over Anderson.

This is another thing that's bothering me in the media and with some fans. How does anyone know we could have gotten Vokoun on July 1st? Is there any indication he would even come to a re-building team after spending so long in Nashville and getting to only 1 round, then spending so long in Florida without it. Howard's off the market obviously, but I wouldn't have chosen him over Anderson - I mean...why would we? He's a nice young goalie but he's thoroughly insulated by Lidstrom, Stuart (who might be the most underrated D-man right now), Rafalski, Kronwall etc.

The prize will be Bryzgalov, but again, who's to say he would have signed here? You can't just wave a magic wand and get these guys signed to contracts. The Sens did the right thing here by acquiring Anderson's rights early + getting to see how he is in the locker room + see how he performs under some pressure for the contract.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Just tell them they needed the extra year because it's Ottawa and it should satisfy everyone.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

He has a fixation on the Red Wings. They're soooooooo professional dontcha know.

I don't disagree that Vokoun might be better but is he 2 million bucks better? BTW, Murray mentioned Vokoun and Bryzgalov by name so it's pretty clear they were on the Sens radar.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Who is The Name Dropper?

Also, when did term automatically become a BAD thing? What if Anderson plays well into his third and fourth year? All of a sudden, we’ll have a great goalie at a very reasonable cap hit. If Lehner (or someone else) is ready to be our #1 in that 3rd or 4th year, then we can trade Anderson for good return. That 4th year could end up being fantastic, either for trade return, or for a great goalie at a good price.

No one can automatically assume that 4th year is a burden. I think we, as Sens fans, are just a little gun-shy when it comes to handing out goalie contracts.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Have people ever watched Howard play? He is literally a clone of Elliott, just playing in front of an amazing team and franchise.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

NEELY wrote:

Have people ever watched Howard play? He is literally a clone of Elliott, just playing in front of an amazing team and franchise.

Amazingly professional.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

So these were the options.

Option A) Sign Anderson to a fair term and cap hit and settle the number 1 spot in Ottawa for 3 or 4 years and give their prize goaltending prospects all the time in the world to develop.

Option B) Go into the summer without a goaltender signed and the risk of not signing a goaltender period. After than, proceed to let a 19 year old kid fight it out for the number 1 spot in Ottawa when he has had trouble getting in the nets in The AHL.

Option C) Sign a career backup and just hope for the best...

hmmm, hard decisions.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

tim1_2 wrote:Who is The Name Dropper?

Pierre McGuire.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:Who is The Name Dropper?

Pierre McGuire.

Precisely.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Yeah I am stunned at the pessimism and negativity by Sens fans at large on the net. I think it's more to do with Murray signing Anderson rather than the terms of the contract. Because Gerber and Leclaire didn't work out here that means Anderson won't either. Fans at large just don't trust Murray with anything.

Funniest is people insisting we should have traded for Cory Schneider.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Hoags wrote:Yeah I am stunned at the pessimism and negativity by Sens fans at large on the net. I think it's more to do with Murray signing Anderson rather than the terms of the contract. Because Gerber and Leclaire didn't work out here that means Anderson won't either. Fans at large just don't trust Murray with anything.

Nobody will even be "proven" enough, no deal will ever be safe enough. Pretty much no one will ever be happy. Except me.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Hoags wrote:Yeah I am stunned at the pessimism and negativity by Sens fans at large on the net. I think it's more to do with Murray signing Anderson rather than the terms of the contract. Because Gerber and Leclaire didn't work out here that means Anderson won't either. Fans at large just don't trust Murray with anything.

This is one of the main reasons I don't go to HFBoards as much anymore. Hardly at all actually, I can just imagine the reactions there, damn you Murray! This guy is a career backup! Too long! Blah blah blah...

Tough to take some of the Ottawa fans seriously.

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Well, people in Ottawa have a right to be pesimistic about goaltending in Ottawa, no one has ever really worked out. Anderson was the right move and easily the best option going forward.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Number Twenty Nine wrote:The only bald dude the Name Dropper likes, is himself... Sarcasm

I especially liked how he wouldn't admit it was a reasonable deal after he was given numbers. There was an awkward pause and he said he had "to see the paperwork."

Laugh1

I think the awkward pause is likely PM's GM aspirations vaporizing before his eyes. I'm leaning towards signing Murray to another year - certainly ahead of signing that creepy bastard.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Number Twenty Nine wrote:
I think the awkward pause is likely PM's GM aspirations vaporizing before his eyes. I'm leaning towards signing Murray to another year - certainly ahead of signing that creepy bastard.

I think McGuire said the first thing he would do as Sens GM is trade for Ryan Ellis....

I really think he'd trade as much of the existing team + prospects as he could to get as many of his "Monsters".

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 12 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum