GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Confirmed: Anderson Signs 4 year extension

+18
stempniaksen
22_4_ever
Number Twenty Nine
TheAvatar
dennycrane
Jordo
SDH89
SensHulk
SeawaySensFan
Ev
Hoags
LethalLehner
Cap'n Clutch
tim1_2
Flo The Action
shabbs
spader
PTFlea
22 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 11 of 13]

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
He keeps repeating it in interviews...Guessin' that's what he thinks is the reason they weren't able to overcome the injuries and bad stretches.

Huh, I must have missed that part of the interview, I watched half and was pleased, so I stopped watching.

He said that he didn't like the veteran presence in the Avs lockerroom?

spader

All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:Also it's pretty clear he didn't like the lack of veteran leadership in the Avs dressing room.

I never really thought of it that way. Is that really an excuse? Couldn't the Avs have addressed that issue?

He keeps repeating it in interviews...Guessin' that's what he thinks is the reason they weren't able to overcome the injuries and bad stretches.

He sure seemed stoked about the Phillips signing. I raised an eyebrow at that comment--seemed a bit odd--but it makes more sense with the bolded statement above in mind.

LeCaptain

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:

Huh, I must have missed that part of the interview, I watched half and was pleased, so I stopped watching.

I listened to one on the team 1200 when he just got traded and he said that, and the other one today from the Healthy Scratches he also said the same thing. He said they were too young and didn't have enough leadership in the locker room during the 1st interview, and today he said, when asked where he sees this team going forward, that it's going in the right direction because the team has enough veteran leadership in the locker room and the Philips signing was key.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:
I listened to one on the team 1200 when he just got traded and he said that, and the other one today from the Healthy Scratches he also said the same thing. He said they were too young and didn't have enough leadership in the locker room during the 1st interview, and today he said, when asked where he sees this team going forward, that it's going in the right direction because the team has enough veteran leadership in the locker room and the Philips signing was key.

Huh, that is very interesting stuff - particularly the Phillips part. I think we might have saved ourselves some pain and suffering by re-signing Phillips.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:

Huh, that is very interesting stuff - particularly the Phillips part. I think we might have saved ourselves some pain and suffering by re-signing Phillips.

We'd sure be in a different situation right now if Phillips and Anderson left at the end of the season. Everything is falling into place right now.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:

Hah. Someone start a threat to the effect that "Anderson sees Phillips as a Leader." Clearly thread worthy.

Who's vindicated once again? Oh yeah. Me. Laugh1

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

According to Avs fans, Anderson DID say the same exact stuff when he signed with the Avs (about how great management was). Take it for what it's worth.

PS. I'm not denying he isn't a leader lol, but what would Anderson say about Phillips if he was asked DIRECTLY about him? That he ISN'T a leader? Not gonna happen.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Big Ev wrote:According to Avs fans, Anderson DID say the same exact stuff when he signed with the Avs (about how great management was). Take it for what it's worth.

PS. I'm not denying he isn't a leader lol, but what would Anderson say about Phillips if he was asked DIRECTLY about him? That he ISN'T a leader? Not gonna happen.

Not sure how this applies. He wasn't directly asked about Phillips, at least not in the interview that I heard.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:
Big Ev wrote:According to Avs fans, Anderson DID say the same exact stuff when he signed with the Avs (about how great management was). Take it for what it's worth.

Not sure how this applies. He wasn't directly asked about Phillips, at least not in the interview that I heard.

Alright then. I didn't hear the interview. Thanks for the clarification.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

Another good article on the signing:

http://ingoalmag.com/news/craig-anderson-gets-four-years-12-75-million-from-senators/

Just one season removed from receiving Hart and Vezina Trophy votes with the Avalanche, Anderson struggled mightily to match that level in a season slowed by groin and knee injuries, but the real problem may have been Colorado’s unwillingness to even talk about a contract extension for the soon-to-be unrestricted free agent, who signed a two-year, $3.6-million free agent deal in the summer of 2009. And while that raises questions about both his attitude and mental toughness, Anderson, who is an eight-year NHL veteran who had bounced around among five teams before finally appearing to have a couple of breakthrough seasons, may simply be one of many NHL players who doesn’t deal well with contract uncertainty, just as others play their best only when they need a new one.

I've read other comments elsewhere speculating that Andy may not be at his best during contract years (the uncertainty gets to him).

Again, you could argue he is at his best when expectations are low. You could also argue it’s a function of how he plays his best – well outside of the blue ice, challenging shooters outside the crease – and the fact opponents are less likely to target and bear down on exposing the weaknesses that style exposes (backdoors, intentionally wide shots off the kick plate, and traffic to drive him back into the net, all strategies teams had success with even last season) because of his team’s position overall.

Interesting comments on his style and weaknesses. That may be reason why he's been successful so far with the Sens D being fairly good at keeping most shooters to the outside.

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:

Hah. Someone start a threat to the effect that "Anderson sees Phillips as a Leader." Clearly thread worthy.

Wink

stempniaksen

stempniaksen
Veteran
Veteran

rooneypoo wrote:
marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:

So when one player comes out and calls Phillips a leader (a player that has only been around for 15 games to boot) you automatically assume the guy is fantastic in the dressing room, but when current leadership on the team shows confidence in Spezza's leadership it's all a "PR move"?

I'm actually not calling you out with this (hell I was on 'team Phillips' myself) , just trying to find out if I'm missing something. Apologies if I missed something in translation.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

rooneypoo wrote:
marakh wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:
marakh wrote:

I never said Phillips wasn't a leader so I'm not sure how this vindicates you of anything. If it's in regards to Alfredsson advocating Spezza as the next Captain, Donovan saying Spezza is a leader and will step up and subsequently did as well as Van Allen recently saying Spezza is a leader then you're vindicated some how. Okay good for you?

If it's in regards to starting a thread when a player calls someone a leader and that it's not thread worthy then your way off the mark because Spezza wasn't referred to as a leader by a player he was endorsed as the next CAPTAIN by the current CAPTAIN which is obviously thread worthy to anyone who comes here to read topics and comment.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

The Name Dropper seemed a little unimpressed with the deal. Although, when faced with numbers ie. potentially the 20th ranked goalie in terms of salary in the league, he still wouldn't change his position.

He, like others, cite that 4th year as an issue. I say "so what?" Pretty much ANY contract has risks associated. Players aren't going to play for free any time soon so let's be realistic here.

Number Twenty Nine

Number Twenty Nine
Veteran
Veteran

The only bald dude the Name Dropper likes, is himself... Sarcasm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Number Twenty Nine wrote:The only bald dude the Name Dropper likes, is himself... Sarcasm

I especially liked how he wouldn't admit it was a reasonable deal after he was given numbers. There was an awkward pause and he said he had "to see the paperwork."

Laugh1

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:The Name Dropper seemed a little unimpressed with the deal. Although, when faced with numbers ie. potentially the 20th ranked goalie in terms of salary in the league, he still wouldn't change his position.

He, like others, cite that 4th year as an issue. I say "so what?" Pretty much ANY contract has risks associated. Players aren't going to play for free any time soon so let's be realistic here.

Honest to goodness, people get so wrapped up in the 4th year as if they actually know what the future will hold. Anderson was the 3rd ranked UFA-to-be goalie by most everyone's standards, he's a solid player who's payed his dues, he's in the prime of his career and he was just signed to a below market-value package. Sometimes the media just needs to step back and say, 'hey, nice job signing that guy!', but that doesn't sell papers or TV spots I guess.

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

I think The Name Dropper preferred Howard and Vokoun over Anderson.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 11 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum