GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sens Prospect Camp - Interesting storylines to watch.

+24
TeamRenzo
TheAvatar
SDH89
shabbs
rooneypoo
jawal
stempniaksen
CockRoche
beerandsens
PKC
Riprock
asq2
Devo
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
wprager
Hoags
SensHulk
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
Ev
PTFlea
M_Christopher
28 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 32]

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Perhaps the Murrays are high enough on Cowen and Weircioch that they don't feel it necessary to replace A-Train and just promote from within? It's not like we'll be contenders next season anyway right? If one of Cowen or Weircioch are ready to make the jump you have to clear a spot for them IMO.

Then they're imbeciles.

If we're not contenders then they should focus on making the team a contender. I'll tell you what, all this "patience" will end up paying off when Florida and Tampa start pushing us out of the playoffs.

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Perhaps the Murrays are high enough on Cowen and Weircioch that they don't feel it necessary to replace A-Train and just promote from within? It's not like we'll be contenders next season anyway right? If one of Cowen or Weircioch are ready to make the jump you have to clear a spot for them IMO.

That's a very dangerous way of managing the team IMO. Cowen is close for sure, he can probably play NHL hockey and be decent. Wiercioch will play for sure, but why rush? Why not get a Michalek for 4 years and ease these guys into the lineup when there are injuries - like with Subban?

Doesn't make sense to walk away from the perfect UFA D-men on the market (for our situation) just because you *think* that Cowen and Wiercioch *might* be ready for spot duty.

This is all IMO, but I would absolutely and positively shore up the top 4 spots and let the young guys compete with Campoli and Carkner and also for when there are injuries (and there inevitably are, especially with Kuba on the squad).

Devo

Sophomore
Sophomore

I'm kind of split.

Clearly building through FA hasn't worked for the Rangers, or Oilers, Flames, Leafs, Florida. Over the last 2 or 3 years those are the teams who have signed a larger percentage of players from other teams.

If building through FA isn't possible any more then why should we demand Ottawa or New Jersey, or St. Louis (whatever your team is) do it?

Why not save the cap room and start to develop talent inside an organization. If the players you draft are not good enough to play in 2 or 3 years after drafting, then either your scouts, or coaches (minor league, conditioning..etc) are not doing their job.

Am I Crazy?

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Devo wrote:I'm kind of split.

Clearly building through FA hasn't worked for the Rangers, or Oilers, Flames, Leafs, Florida. Over the last 2 or 3 years those are the teams who have signed a larger percentage of players from other teams.

If building through FA isn't possible any more then why should we demand Ottawa or New Jersey, or St. Louis (whatever your team is) do it?

Why not save the cap room and start to develop talent inside an organization. If the players you draft are not good enough to play in 2 or 3 years after drafting, then either your scouts, or coaches (minor league, conditioning..etc) are not doing their job.

Am I Crazy?

I don't think you're crazy, I agree with you. I would like to sign a UFA d-man that can help our D be stronger because it's been so weak lately. But at the same time, there has to be a spot for whichever of the 2 or 3 are ready for NHL duty. Wiercioch, Cowen or Gryba. If you sign a UFA d-man too long and you have those 3 ready to play and Rundblad getting a spot in 2011-2012 you might run into issues with available spots on the team and tying up too much money to one guy. Then Karlsson will be up for re-neg and will seek at least 5 million if he continues on this pace. I dont' know, I'm really torn here. I wish we could land Gonchar for 3 years and be done with it. 4-5 years is pushing it...

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SpezDispenser wrote:

That's a very dangerous way of managing the team IMO. Cowen is close for sure, he can probably play NHL hockey and be decent. Wiercioch will play for sure, but why rush? Why not get a Michalek for 4 years and ease these guys into the lineup when there are injuries - like with Subban?

Doesn't make sense to walk away from the perfect UFA D-men on the market (for our situation) just because you *think* that Cowen and Wiercioch *might* be ready for spot duty.

This is all IMO, but I would absolutely and positively shore up the top 4 spots and let the young guys compete with Campoli and Carkner and also for when there are injuries (and there inevitably are, especially with Kuba on the squad).

I certainly don't think they'd do that if they thought one of the two were possibly ready to maybe step in for spot duty. This would be a situation where they felt one of the two D men were ready for full-time duty much like Karlsson. If that's the case they need to make a roster spot available. I don't necessarily think they won't get another D man anyway but if they think one of Cowen or Weircioch are ready they'll probably put one of them on the roster like they did with EK.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Cowen is sooooo close to being ready, I think he actually makes the team out of camp now. Gryba would have been pretty sweet but I think Cowen takes that spot.

That's what I've been trying to say for months now and no one was listening. Murray was saying he was close to making the team last season and that was with an f'd up Knee. Now he has a 100% knee and another year of development. He also has a development camp (sort of) under his belt and some pre-season experience as well.

I totally agree. He's very very close.

- Unknown Author

If Cowen is ready to play in The NHL then he should make the team. The Sens dont want to stall his development because that is just as harmful as forcing him into the lineup.

The "kid" is almost 230 lbs, he's a man and that's the only concern people have with young NHL D men, is their size, all rookies are prone to mistakes. Anyways, he's physically ready and he very well could be an Ottawa Senator come October.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
N4L wrote:Cowen is sooooo close to being ready, I think he actually makes the team out of camp now. Gryba would have been pretty sweet but I think Cowen takes that spot.

That's what I've been trying to say for months now and no one was listening. Murray was saying he was close to making the team last season and that was with an f'd up Knee. Now he has a 100% knee and another year of development. He also has a development camp (sort of) under his belt and some pre-season experience as well.

Yup, absolutely. He has the size and now seemingly the speed again to make it. He needs expierence and there's only one way to get that.

SpezDispenser wrote:

I'm cool with signing Michalek but getting rid of Kuba. That way, we can put Karlsson up with Phillips and Wiercioch with Michalek leaving Campoli, Cowen and Carkner as our 5-6.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:If Cowen is ready to play in The NHL then he should make the team. The Sens dont want to stall his development because that is just as harmful as forcing him into the lineup.

The "kid" is almost 230 lbs, he's a man and that's the only concern people have with young NHL D men, is their size, all rookies are prone to mistakes. Anyways, he's physically ready and he very well could be an Ottawa Senator come October.

That's mammoth for a young D man. He's what? 6'5" as well? If he has a good camp and the Murray's feel he's ready how could they not put him on there? This isn't just some average prospect either. He's a 9th overall pick that should have been a top 5 IMO. Those kinds of players don't spend long outside of the NHL.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Murray says those things to cover his own Donkey when he can't land actual NHL players. He said the same about Brian Lee.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Kovalfie wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:

I'm cool with signing Michalek but getting rid of Kuba. That way, we can put Karlsson up with Phillips and Wiercioch with Michalek leaving Campoli, Cowen and Carkner as our 5-6.

I'd be surprised and a little worried if we had a D core of Karlsson, Weircioch, Cowen, Campoli and even Carkner. That's a lot of young, prone to mistakes, D men right there. I'd say it's one of Cowen or Weicioch not both.

- Unknown Author

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Murray says those things to cover his own Donkey when he can't land actual NHL players. He said the same about Brian Lee.

He sure did. I personally believe Cowen is a different story.

- Unknown Author

SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Even if the Cowen comment was ment to cover his but (which it wasnt) that's not exactly a bad thing. A GM that only has a plan A. or a GM that has a plan A. B. and C.

Cowen had a great camp last year and got rewarded with his first NHL game. He is almost ready and I'll say now that he cracks the lineup over Wiercoich to start the year.

As for Lee, he gets dealt if any UFA comes to Ottawa.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:

Even if the Cowen comment was ment to cover his but (which it wasnt) that's not exactly a bad thing. A GM that only has a plan A. or a GM that has a plan A. B. and C.

Cowen had a great camp last year and got rewarded with his first NHL game. He is almost ready and I'll say now that he cracks the lineup over Wiercoich to start the year.

As for Lee, he gets dealt if any UFA comes to Ottawa.

Then, for this year, Cowen should be plan C or even D behind free agents A B and C, at least.

Plan A is signing a UFA D man, plan B is signing a UFA top 6 forward (Cullen). I think Cowen makes the team no matter who they bring in to be honest.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

N4L wrote:Plan A is signing a UFA D man, plan B is signing a UFA top 6 forward (Cullen). I think Cowen makes the team no matter who they bring in to be honest.

Then this team has no interest in winning.

SeawaySensFan wrote:
N4L wrote:Plan A is signing a UFA D man, plan B is signing a UFA top 6 forward (Cullen). I think Cowen makes the team no matter who they bring in to be honest.

Then this team has no interest in winning.

By choosing the best player they have no intrest in winning? Pretty wierd logic there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 32]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17 ... 32  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum