GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Best way to watch Sens ECF in the States?

+4
wprager
Ev
Oglethorpe
tim1_2
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Best way to watch Sens ECF in the States? Empty Best way to watch Sens ECF in the States? Thu May 11, 2017 10:40 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So I have a significant dilemma.  I'm camping May 19 to 22 in the States, meaning I'll be there for two of the Sens ECF games.  Diddle me.

Ok, the campsite is just south of Potsdam, NY: Higley Flow State Park.  I've never brought my antenna there to see what channels I can pick up on TV.  Ideally, I'd get CBC and everything would be fine, but I found the following coverage map on CBC's website:

http://www.cbc.radio-canada.ca/_files/cbcrc/documents/dtv-maps/tn-0015-tve-on.pdf

The campground is due south of Cornwall, and according to this map, Cornwall doesn't even get coverage..?  SSF?  You live there, don't you?

I also found this OTA coverage map for the closest large town (Potsdam): https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/13699-potsdam-ny

NBC's OTA seems to be non-existent in this area, which would've helped at least for the Sunday afternoon game.

Alternatively, I can either pay a bunch for a data plan and find a way to stream games, or I can abandon my family for hours at a time and find a bar showing the game.

Oglethorpe

Oglethorpe
Veteran
Veteran

Always choose the bar over family.  Always.

Ev

Ev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

What carrier are you with? With Fido I only paid $5 per day to use my phone data in the states the same as I do in Canada

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Here's the TVFool report for the state park itself:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de6a47a230e2717

Although CBC transmitter is 83 miles away, you could pick it up. Just climb a tree. Maybe bring a signal amplifier.

Another possibility is to buy a prepaid sim card with data. Probably a lot cheaper than roaming with your Canadian plan.

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

So I get a GB on my plan or can buy a SIM and some data for tons of $$$. Watching a game could be a GB or two depending on length. I think I'm gonna try the antenna route with the bar as a backup plan.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Roammobility charges $10 for the sun card and $5 per day for unlimited talk, text, data. US prices.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I'd get the internet service and just go to reddit, and you'll find a link to a youtube stream over there in the GDT (there's quite a few links there)

https://www.reddit.com/r/NHLStreams/

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:Roammobility charges $10 for the sun card and $5 per day for unlimited talk, text, data. US prices.

Absolutely no coverage where I'll be.

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:
wprager wrote:Roammobility charges $10 for the sun card and $5 per day for unlimited talk, text, data. US prices.

Satellite radio?

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

tim1_2 wrote:

You mean roammobility specifically? Then go with whoever has coverage the.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Hoff-Machine wrote:
tim1_2 wrote:

Satellite radio?

Satellite radio? He's trying to get data to stream the game.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

tim1_2 wrote:

Bar.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Good luck finding a bar in upstate NY to watch hockey when NBA, MLB, MLS, Ten Pin, Dodge Ball and Competitive Beer Pong are all on.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Actually ...

Best way to watch Sens ECF in the States? Img_2012

This is a photo from the website for Between the Buns, in Potsdam (6 Elm Street). Looks like Sabres country. They just might have the game on and they just might hate the Penguins.

You can call and ask: 315-265-8888

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Yeah, I've found a couple bars in Potsdam that look promising.  There may be hope yet.  Thanks for the help folks.  

It's depressing that it's still a pain to worry about data/streaming when travelling to a different country.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum