GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

aaron ward on waivers

+10
SensGirl11
PTFlea
Urkie
LeCaptain
asq2
SensHulk
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 9 of 11]

121aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Does anyone actually watch the system that Maurice plays? It's a clusterfuk. He literally plays man on man defense in his own zone... you cannot and will not win like that in The NHL.

Ward is a good D man despite what people think here. He's been good for over a decade and was fantastic for Boston just last year. He turned Wideman into an allstar player... Wideman has looked beyond normal without him.

122aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:34 pm

asq2 wrote:
N4L wrote:Ward is a good defenseman and Carkner (I love) isnt anywhere near The D man Ward is. Perfect example of people who loves The Sens over valuing their players.

I actually thought more of people here then that.

Carkner is "nowhere near" the D man Ward is?

I think you're tremendously over-valuing Ward and I think the fact that the Canes can't get anything for him when he's only on hook for $2.5 million for this season is testament to that.

Canes are a wounded animal...I wouldn't necessarily weigh too much into this. He's an aging, replaceable, slumping player with another year on his contract. Doesn't necessarily mean he can't still hack it. N4L is right to say that Ward was an integral part of that team last year---I watched enough of Boston to co-sign that.

123aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:35 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Carolina isnt exactly racking in the money right now either... if the plan is for him to get picked up on waivers, that saves the team close to 2 million dollars.

That's only partially relevant. That could explain the motive to get rid of him but not the manner in which they're doing so. If Ward was as good as you make him out to be then Carolina would be able to get a 1st round pick for the guy, even more than that if Volchenkov can return a Sharp or a Beach (speaking of over-valuing Ottawa players).

I don't see how you can point to Ward's play being affected by those around him in Carolina, but you can point to him playing on a team with a Norris-winner, a Vezina-winner and a Jack Adams winner and act like that's an appropriate circumstance in which to evaluate him.

Hell, when Meszaros was playing on the same team as Chara he had almost 40 points, had a ridiculous +/- and made an all-rookie team featuring Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf and Lundqvist.

124aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:36 pm

asq2 wrote:
N4L wrote:Ward is a good defenseman and Carkner (I love) isnt anywhere near The D man Ward is. Perfect example of people who loves The Sens over valuing their players.

I actually thought more of people here then that.

Carkner is "nowhere near" the D man Ward is?

I think you're tremendously over-valuing Ward and I think the fact that the Canes can't get anything for him when he's only on hook for $2.5 million for this season is testament to that.

I dont think Im over valuing Ward at all. I think he's a good D man in about the worst situation possinle in Carolina. He was moved for cap reason's in the summer, that's it.

And hey, maybe Ottawa wont be able to move A Train for anything but a mid round pick, who knows. Ward defently has value though. He will be picked up on waivers.

125aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:38 pm

N4L wrote:Does anyone actually watch the system that Maurice plays? It's a clusterfuk. He literally plays man on man defense in his own zone... you cannot and will not win like that in The NHL.

Ward is a good D man despite what people think here. He's been good for over a decade and was fantastic for Boston just last year. He turned Wideman into an allstar player... Wideman has looked beyond normal without him.

True story.

I didn't notice their system until Saturday, when Imo we really had no business winning. Yeah we dominated, but it wasn't a result of our incredible play...they just have the worst defensive zone coverage I've seen since us under Hartsburg. Even then, we barely eeked out a win and required a late post to stay ahead...Anyways, that system is easy to plan against. Teams know how to exploit it.

126aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

'Canes need to rebuild badly. They've got two guys in Whitney and Brind'Amour that are aging, and Ray can still produce, while Rod is showing the affects of aging.

Staal is way overpaid at $8.25M, especially when you've got Heatley @ 7.5, Nash @ 7.8, Thornton @ 7.2, and Vinny @ $7.7. There's plenty more as well that are just as good or better than Staal that are cheaper and younger.

127aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 pm

asq2 wrote:
N4L wrote:Carolina isnt exactly racking in the money right now either... if the plan is for him to get picked up on waivers, that saves the team close to 2 million dollars.

That's only partially relevant. That could explain the motive to get rid of him but not the manner in which they're doing so. If Ward was as good as you make him out to be then Carolina would be able to get a 1st round pick for the guy, even more than that if Volchenkov can return a Sharp or a Beach (speaking of over-valuing Ottawa players).

I don't see how you can point to Ward's play being affected by those around him in Carolina, but you can point to him playing on a team with a Norris-winner, a Vezina-winner and a Jack Adams winner and act like that's an appropriate circumstance in which to evaluate him.

Hell, when Meszaros was playing on the same team as Chara he had almost 40 points, had a ridiculous +/- and made an all-rookie team featuring Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf and Lundqvist.

Ward was Wideman's partner for the record, but I digress.

Dude, nothing you are going to say is going to convince me Ward is not a good D man and cant fit in on any team in The NHL and be effective. Carolina is an awful team with an awful coach (the main reason). Staal can only carry a marginal team for so long.

Ive seen Ward play in Boston, I saw him play in Carolina's cup run, and he was a big piece for Detroits cup runs in the late 90's as well. He is a good D man with a ton of expeirence and does his job very well.

Larry Murphy got claimed off wiavers as well.

128aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:41 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Does anyone think Rich Peverley will be on waivers again?

129aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:41 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

You have to admit though Neely - as hockey smart as we are here (or like to think we are Cool ), there are NHL execs and scouts who have their ear right to the ground.

If you think Ward is stuck in a bad system and is still good, then I'm surprised that there aren't 3 or 4 teams kicking the tires and willing to trade one pending UFA forward of little value for Ward. Or even a 5th round pick.

If he's still half-way decent, then why aren't the Caps all over this? They could use some muscle on their back end, they could probably get the Canes to think about Nylander in some way shape or form. Perhaps Ward, another dump and a decent pick, like a 2nd or 3rd for Nylander.

Seems like ideal situations are out there for a guy like Ward - if he was still good - but no team is willing to give even a 6th round pick? Nothing? Smells like they know more than we do.

130aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:43 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:You have to admit though Neely - as hockey smart as we are here (or like to think we are Cool ), there are NHL execs and scouts who have their ear right to the ground.

If you think Ward is stuck in a bad system and is still good, then I'm surprised that there aren't 3 or 4 teams kicking the tires and willing to trade one pending UFA forward of little value for Ward. Or even a 5th round pick.

If he's still half-way decent, then why aren't the Caps all over this? They could use some muscle on their back end, they could probably get the Canes to think about Nylander in some way shape or form. Perhaps Ward, another dump and a decent pick, like a 2nd or 3rd for Nylander.

Seems like ideal situations are out there for a guy like Ward - if he was still good - but no team is willing to give even a 6th round pick? Nothing? Smells like they know more than we do.

Garenteed, if Ottawa doesnt pick him up he ends up on a playoff team and maybe even back in Boston. Just because of this conversation alone, I hope that guy wins a cup for the 4th time.

131aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:44 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Or they finished higher in the standings than we did last year?

132aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:50 pm

Dash wrote:'Canes need to rebuild badly. They've got two guys in Whitney and Brind'Amour that are aging, and Ray can still produce, while Rod is showing the affects of aging.

Staal is way overpaid at $8.25M, especially when you've got Heatley @ 7.5, Nash @ 7.8, Thornton @ 7.2, and Vinny @ $7.7. There's plenty more as well that are just as good or better than Staal that are cheaper and younger.

Didn't like the contract and it doesn't look good now, but I'll take any player that gives his all when the games matter over Heatley( aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 853109 ) Thornton ( aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 853450 ) or the new Vinny (i.e. injured, never the same).

133aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:52 pm

Staal plays hard every game, but again, if you cant get out of your zone you cant score.

Muarice has screwed up that team pretty hard. Like you said, Staal got them to the ECF, no Maurice.

134aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:55 pm

He was unbelievable last year...turned me into a believer. I never liked him before that, but now I see...

135aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Yup, I was the same way.

If people want to Wing Dang Doodle about that contract, lol, Ill take Staal at 8.25 mil over Spezza at 7 mil about a million times over.

Truth be told, Staal is struggling on a team that cant get out of it's zone and his numbers are still ok and is a threat when he's on the ice. He plays a decent physical game and works his Donkey off in all 3 zones.

136aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:00 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Is this Staal character also on waivers?

137aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:04 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
asq2 wrote:

Ward was Wideman's partner for the record, but I digress.

Dude, nothing you are going to say is going to convince me Ward is not a good D man and cant fit in on any team in The NHL and be effective. Carolina is an awful team with an awful coach (the main reason). Staal can only carry a marginal team for so long.

Ive seen Ward play in Boston, I saw him play in Carolina's cup run, and he was a big piece for Detroits cup runs in the late 90's as well. He is a good D man with a ton of expeirence and does his job very well.

Larry Murphy got claimed off wiavers as well.

I'm not saying Aaron Ward is Andy Wozniewski, I'm saying he's not Anton Volchenkov.

138aaron ward on waivers - Page 9 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:10 pm

Ward is VERY similar to A Train. Again, I love A Train but I still dont think he is as good as he is given credit for. Phillips on the other hand is better then I think he is given credit for.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum