GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

aaron ward on waivers

+10
SensGirl11
PTFlea
Urkie
LeCaptain
asq2
SensHulk
rooneypoo
SeawaySensFan
Cap'n Clutch
Flo The Action
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 11]

106aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:20 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:Sure. They would be such a player "in the making" by next year.

I think Murray tried to acquire The Wizard, Rutherford said we had to take Ward too, Murray said waive him and we'll pick him up on re-entry, Rutherford said "deal". aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 235689 aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 805406

Ah yes...the Wizard himself. Still amazing (like Alfie) at 37.

107aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:20 pm

In 6 months he is a shell of his former self? Not likely.

108aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm

PTFlea

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Gohan wrote:I wonder if any of them consider that maybe Paul Maurice is just a horrendous coach? It might have a whole lot less to do with the players than they think. Also, HF is the most hypercritical board of any in existence...I don't watch Carolina enough to dispute the claim, but I watch Ottawa enough to know that I rarely agree with the statements of any one on that board who isn't also a poster on this board...

Anyways, Hartsburgs system made Phillips look bad...maybe Ward is suffering from the same syndrome (09 ECF notwithstanding)

They're also not pleased with Maurice right now, but I stopped reading. HF is nice to get some opinions from time to time, but as you say, people are ridiculous on there.

That said, Ward has been an abomination this year. If he can magically wake up from his slumber of crappyness, maybe he'll be good for the Jackets or whoever picks him up.

109aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:22 pm

N4L wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:Isn't Aaron Ward purely a Defensive Defenseman? Why in the world do we need another one of those? We need a puck mover.

if the plan is to move A Train, then it would make total sense.

If A Train stays, then I really have no clue what Murray would be thinking about.

Assuming what you heard isn't simply conjecture aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 105237

110aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:24 pm

N4L wrote:
Carolina might also trade Staal... Maurice might be the worst coach in The NHL when it comes to team defense, The Leafs wanted White out of town and was close to being put on waivers with him as well, now he is a very valuable piece to that blueline.

Ward is a good defenseman and Carkner (I love) isnt anywhere near The D man Ward is. Perfect example of people who loves The Sens over valuing their players.

I actually thought more of people here then that.

I said the same thing about Maurice, but Staal?? Come on, man...we're talking about a 23 year old stud that brings it every time it matters. Ward (the other one aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Icon_wink ) won them a Cup, but Staal got them to the ECF last season. He couldn't piggy back that team any further, but that was yeomans work, for sure!

111aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:24 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:In 6 months he is a shell of his former self? Not likely.

Ask yourself why the Canes are waiving Aaron Ward in the first place when their bottom pairing D are Jay Harrison and one of Carson, Alberts or Rodney. There's something seriously wrong with Ward - and I've seen it first hand when I happen to watch a Carolina game. He's terrible. Again, maybe he can come back with a good team, maybe he won't, I certainly would not take a risk on him.

112aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Gohan wrote:
SpezDispenser wrote:Aaron Ward is truly awful this year. I'm not sure he could even hack it in the AHL at this point.

Happy days are here again!!!! Has to be the worst player in the league right now. If the Canes were really intent on Tanking..they'd hold onto him as he is good for 1-2 goals a game (for the opposing team).

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=714268
I wonder if any of them consider that maybe Paul Maurice is just a horrendous coach? It might have a whole lot less to do with the players than they think. Also, HF is the most hypercritical board of any in existence...I don't watch Carolina enough to dispute the claim, but I watch Ottawa enough to know that I rarely agree with the statements of any one on that board who isn't also a poster on this board...

Anyways, Hartsburgs system made Phillips look bad...maybe Ward is suffering from the same syndrome (09 ECF notwithstanding)

He plays man on man defense... it's awful! Ward is a good defenseman and should they trade A Train is a perfect, very similar, and well seasoned vet who can bring a lot of valuable things to Ottawa.

If the plan is to keep A Train though, I wouldnt understand it though.

113aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:26 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Ward is a good defenseman and Carkner (I love) isnt anywhere near The D man Ward is. Perfect example of people who loves The Sens over valuing their players.

Carkner is "nowhere near" the D man Ward is?

I think you're tremendously over-valuing Ward and I think the fact that the Canes can't get anything for him when he's only on hook for $2.5 million for this season is testament to that.

Last edited by asq2 on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

114aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:27 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:In 6 months he is a shell of his former self? Not likely.

Ask yourself why the Canes are waiving Aaron Ward in the first place when their bottom pairing D are Jay Harrison and one of Carson, Alberts or Rodney. There's something seriously wrong with Ward - and I've seen it first hand when I happen to watch a Carolina game. He's terrible. Again, maybe he can come back with a good team, maybe he won't, I certainly would not take a risk on him.

Because Maurice is an awful coach and look who Ward is playing with.

Carolina isnt exactly racking in the money right now either... if the plan is for him to get picked up on waivers, that saves the team close to 2 million dollars.

Good luck getting Ward to cover Ovechkin one on one. Maurice could make Chara look inept.

115aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:28 pm

asq2 wrote:
N4L wrote:Ward is a good defenseman and Carkner (I love) isnt anywhere near The D man Ward is. Perfect example of people who loves The Sens over valuing their players.

For Carkner to be "nowhere near" the D man Ward is you'd have to be talking about someone like Robyn Regehr. You're tremendously over-valuing Ward and I think the fact that the Canes can't get anything for him when he's only on hook for $2.5 million for this season is testament to that.

8 months ago in Boston, if Ottawa were to take him off waivers for nothing people would have been jumping for joy.

Maurice is the problem in terms of defense in Carolina just like he was in Toronto.

116aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:29 pm

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

I read the Murray Evaluation thread on HF last night. OMG aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 489887

117aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:29 pm

Gohan wrote:
N4L wrote:
Carolina might also trade Staal... Maurice might be the worst coach in The NHL when it comes to team defense, The Leafs wanted White out of town and was close to being put on waivers with him as well, now he is a very valuable piece to that blueline.

Ward is a good defenseman and Carkner (I love) isnt anywhere near The D man Ward is. Perfect example of people who loves The Sens over valuing their players.

I said the same thing about Maurice, but Staal?? Come on, man...we're talking about a 23 year old stud that brings it every time it matters. Ward (the other one aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Icon_wink ) won them a Cup, but Staal got them to the ECF last season. He couldn't piggy back that team any further, but that was yeomans work, for sure!

The rumors about Staal being traded or out there, I dont know how true it is.

Maruce is the worst coach in The NHL, has no clue what to do.

118aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:30 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
Gohan wrote:I wonder if any of them consider that maybe Paul Maurice is just a horrendous coach? It might have a whole lot less to do with the players than they think. Also, HF is the most hypercritical board of any in existence...I don't watch Carolina enough to dispute the claim, but I watch Ottawa enough to know that I rarely agree with the statements of any one on that board who isn't also a poster on this board...

They're also not pleased with Maurice right now, but I stopped reading. HF is nice to get some opinions from time to time, but as you say, people are ridiculous on there.

That said, Ward has been an abomination this year. If he can magically wake up from his slumber of crappyness, maybe he'll be good for the Jackets or whoever picks him up.

There's a disconnect there. It can't be both the coach and the players (at least in the way they are framing it). When Hartsburg was here, I supported him right until the end (or close to it...by the last couple weeks, I was losing patience). However foolish it was, I strongly believed it was the players (backed nicely by the horrendous play of 15 and 19) and that there was a divide in the locker room. It wasn't until after he was fired that I heard he refused to alter his systems even the slightest that I turned coat and blasted him.

When it comes to the coach or the player (especially a D-man) you can't have it both ways. If its the player than he likely isn't responsible for the downfall of the entire team. If its the coach, however, the standings will reflect it. They do in this case; they did in our case.

119aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:30 pm

marakh wrote:I read the Murray Evaluation thread on HF last night. OMG aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 489887

People there are unreal. I cant even read some of that crap.

120aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:30 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

marakh wrote:I read the Murray Evaluation thread on HF last night. OMG aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 489887

Gag I can imagine.

121aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:33 pm

Does anyone actually watch the system that Maurice plays? It's a clusterfuk. He literally plays man on man defense in his own zone... you cannot and will not win like that in The NHL.

Ward is a good D man despite what people think here. He's been good for over a decade and was fantastic for Boston just last year. He turned Wideman into an allstar player... Wideman has looked beyond normal without him.

122aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:34 pm

asq2 wrote:

Carkner is "nowhere near" the D man Ward is?

I think you're tremendously over-valuing Ward and I think the fact that the Canes can't get anything for him when he's only on hook for $2.5 million for this season is testament to that.

Canes are a wounded animal...I wouldn't necessarily weigh too much into this. He's an aging, replaceable, slumping player with another year on his contract. Doesn't necessarily mean he can't still hack it. N4L is right to say that Ward was an integral part of that team last year---I watched enough of Boston to co-sign that.

123aaron ward on waivers - Page 8 Empty Re: aaron ward on waivers Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:35 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:Carolina isnt exactly racking in the money right now either... if the plan is for him to get picked up on waivers, that saves the team close to 2 million dollars.

That's only partially relevant. That could explain the motive to get rid of him but not the manner in which they're doing so. If Ward was as good as you make him out to be then Carolina would be able to get a 1st round pick for the guy, even more than that if Volchenkov can return a Sharp or a Beach (speaking of over-valuing Ottawa players).

I don't see how you can point to Ward's play being affected by those around him in Carolina, but you can point to him playing on a team with a Norris-winner, a Vezina-winner and a Jack Adams winner and act like that's an appropriate circumstance in which to evaluate him.

Hell, when Meszaros was playing on the same team as Chara he had almost 40 points, had a ridiculous +/- and made an all-rookie team featuring Crosby, Ovechkin, Phaneuf and Lundqvist.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum