GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Senators send Karlsson To Bingo

+25
Devo
TheAvatar
TeamRenzo
SensFan71
Tuk Tuk
LeCaptain
Flo The Action
Sens19
M_Christopher
Hoags
beedub
Jordo
wprager
Vandelay
SDH89
jamvan
Phoenix30
shabbs
asq2
Bramlet07
SensGirl11
SeawaySensFan
LethalLehner
Hobiesens
PTFlea
29 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 15]

31Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:46 pm

asq2 wrote:I thought he stood to benefit more from learning to play within the speed of the NHL game. He's not going to get any stronger playing in Bingo.

This move is about the team. So I'm in agreement with Neely on this one, Campoli's gotta step up.

Exactly. I get the cap space being saved, I get the more ice time arguement, so on and on, but his 2 way and entry level worked against him and like I said, Picard stepped in and stole that 6th spot, that's a credit to him which isnt bad for The Sens or Picard himself.

Campoli better be lights out from her on out because that's the guy who got a 2nd chance here.

32Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:47 pm

SeawaySensFan

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

SpezDispenser wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:The only thing that pisses me off about Shannon is that he was playing PP minutes on the POINT!!! that should have gone to Karlsson.

Me too. That was Clouston's decision - and I thought it was an odd one. Sounds like it's gonna be Alfie and Kuba now on PP1, that's a lot better.

I still don't get how Clouston lets them work on the outside for the WHOLE powerplay and not do SOMETHING. It's Diddled up.

Anyhow, I don't mind seeing Karlsson go to Bingo just like I was pleased with the decision to send Winchester there for conditioning. It will make us a better team that much quicker.

33Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:47 pm

asq2

All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:I thought he stood to benefit more from learning to play within the speed of the NHL game. He's not going to get any stronger playing in Bingo.

This move is about the team. So I'm in agreement with Neely on this one, Campoli's gotta step up.

Really? You don't think he's still got a tonne to learn and that possibly the AHL might be the better place to learn it?

He's shown he can play in the NA rinks in the Juniors.

What does he have to learn? His decision-making has to get faster and he's got to improve defensively - both of these may come somewhat in the AHL but the NHL's speed is way different and that's been the biggest stumbling block so far.

He has to get bigger and stronger as well, as we all knew, but that won't happen no matter where he's playing.

On the other hand, Team Sweden's junior team collectively crapped their pants at this move.

34Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:48 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
You keep brining up last year with Shannon? That was before his concussion this year, before he got his way deal, and before we had tons of depth. I get you like him but there is no possible way to justify is spot in the game day lineup at this point. None.

This is the best move for RIGHT NOW, which I get and understand, but this is now a signal they are going for some success this year and not so much a building year anymore.

If the plan is to bring up Karlsson, Cowen, Wierchoich, and Lee together, then alright, I can buy that, but I'm not buying he wasnt ready, he was and it was pretty evident in that Boston game he was. He got better every game, was the best PP QB we had so far this year, and he was getting more and more confident. Just dont hand me the "he wasnt ready" arguement.

100% the last we see of the kid this year though. He wont be back and Lee will be the callup if someone goes down. Picard also better keep up this pace and keep playing well as well because to his credit, he stole that 6th job from Karlsson and he has been better, but he needs to keep it up.

Yeah, if Shannon's noodle has been irreparably damaged, then he'll be gone soon enough (or permanently sat), but I don't think it has, I think he's a step behind everyone and he's gripping the stick really, really tight because there's so much depth behind him. That said, I've thought he's been quite good exposing players with his speed. He could be a lot better obviously, but he's not gonna quit out there, that much we can count on.

As for the Karlsson argument, I personally had reservations about him being 100% ready for the NHL. I think he will be soon enough if he works hard, which he will, but I wasn't sure it was best for him to be here right now through the rigors of an NHL schedule when he could be getting more ice time and more opportunities in Bingo.

One thing's for sure, he'll be one confident young man next training camp - although, I think we might see him back this year at some point.

35Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 pm

Because of that Kuba injury, they basically trough the kid under the bus. They brought Ohlund in for Hedman, they brough O'Donald in for Doughtey, they paired Shenn with Kaberle last year, and who does Karlsson get? Campoli, come on.

Karlsson did well with what he was given and improved every game and was actually becoming an effective player on a lot of levels.

36Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

MurderOnIce wrote:He needs to learn how to win puck battles and the AHL is a good training ground for that IMO. Plus he will see a ton of ice. Not bad really.

Winning puck battles comes from gaining mass and strength IMO. That's not going to happen mid-season anywhere.

His positioning has to get better, but it has to get better in the context of the speed of NHL players.

37Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:49 pm

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

ElliottRules wrote:Wow is all I can say. Is this because he is the only one that they can send down now that Kuba is coming back and Carkner has signed a 1-way?
Carkner is still on a two-way. His one-way extension only starts next season.

I'm surprised but not really... I think Bingo will do Karlsson some good.

38Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:51 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:
You keep brining up last year with Shannon? That was before his concussion this year, before he got his way deal, and before we had tons of depth. I get you like him but there is no possible way to justify is spot in the game day lineup at this point. None.

This is the best move for RIGHT NOW, which I get and understand, but this is now a signal they are going for some success this year and not so much a building year anymore.

If the plan is to bring up Karlsson, Cowen, Wierchoich, and Lee together, then alright, I can buy that, but I'm not buying he wasnt ready, he was and it was pretty evident in that Boston game he was. He got better every game, was the best PP QB we had so far this year, and he was getting more and more confident. Just dont hand me the "he wasnt ready" arguement.

100% the last we see of the kid this year though. He wont be back and Lee will be the callup if someone goes down. Picard also better keep up this pace and keep playing well as well because to his credit, he stole that 6th job from Karlsson and he has been better, but he needs to keep it up.

Yeah, if Shannon's noodle has been irreparably damaged, then he'll be gone soon enough (or permanently sat), but I don't think it has, I think he's a step behind everyone and he's gripping the stick really, really tight because there's so much depth behind him. That said, I've thought he's been quite good exposing players with his speed. He could be a lot better obviously, but he's not gonna quit out there, that much we can count on.

As for the Karlsson argument, I personally had reservations about him being 100% ready for the NHL. I think he will be soon enough if he works hard, which he will, but I wasn't sure it was best for him to be here right now through the rigors of an NHL schedule when he could be getting more ice time and more opportunities in Bingo.

One thing's for sure, he'll be one confident young man next training camp - although, I think we might see him back this year at some point.

Dude, he's not coming back this year. They sent him down now to save a year on his ELC, that's it. If that wasnt an issue they would see how he played with Kuba.

Lee is the next guy in line right now.

39Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:52 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

asq2 wrote:

What does he have to learn? His decision-making has to get faster and he's got to improve defensively - both of these may come somewhat in the AHL but the NHL's speed is way different and that's been the biggest stumbling block so far.

He has to get bigger and stronger as well, as we all knew, but that won't happen no matter where he's playing.

On the other hand, Team Sweden's junior team collectively crapped their pants at this move.

He has to re-learn success and what it means to have 3 point games and dominate. Then transfer the knowledge he (better) bet getting in the AHL into the NHL when he comes back. He also needs to be THE guy in the AHL, not just Bingo, he needs to come into the situation down there and immediately be in the running for Rookie of the Year. His confidence is boosted, his decision making gets marginally better (compared to the NHL), he comes back to the NHL with a fresh perspective on how the game is played and at what speed and he uses that knowledge combined with that confidence to never again be anywhere other than the NHL.

That's how I see it. This is but a minor, tiny little setback for Erik Karlsson.

40Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:52 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:
Dude, he's not coming back this year. They sent him down now to save a year on his ELC, that's it. If that wasnt an issue they would see how he played with Kuba.

That's life then. Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 105237

41Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

SpezDispenser wrote:
asq2 wrote:

He has to re-learn success and what it means to have 3 point games and dominate. Then transfer the knowledge he (better) bet getting in the AHL into the NHL when he comes back. He also needs to be THE guy in the AHL, not just Bingo, he needs to come into the situation down there and immediately be in the running for Rookie of the Year. His confidence is boosted, his decision making gets marginally better (compared to the NHL), he comes back to the NHL with a fresh perspective on how the game is played and at what speed and he uses that knowledge combined with that confidence to never again be anywhere other than the NHL.

That's how I see it. This is but a minor, tiny little setback for Erik Karlsson.

In the big scheme of things, this doesn't mean a lot but I'm annoyed at how little chance he was given at the NHL level and don't think the AHL is necessarily better for developing him.

42Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:55 pm

This move was for the now. With 7 D men up in Ottawa, it's tough to justify a 19 year old kid being in the lineup when he is the 6th best D man right now then taking him out to get others in, that's a waste of cap space, time, so on and on. You cant scratch a kid, so you send him down, that's all this is.

This is a team decision, it's not because Karlsson wasnt or isnt ready, he is. Very little he is going to learn in Bingo but he also cant be sitting in the stands in Ottawa to get Campoli or Picard in.

Picard stepped up though so you gotta hand it to that guy, he took the spot that was there for Karlsson.

43Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:56 pm

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I do believe that Carkner would have to clear waivers if he was sent down now and would easily get picked off based on his play this year. And its about time that Karlsson was sent down. It would give him time to learn the American side of the game without the high expectations of playing at the NHL level.

44Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:56 pm

SpezDispenser wrote:
N4L wrote:

That's life then. Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 105237

Then that's fine.

As for Shannon he hasnt been exposing anyone man, he's been awful and he is useless on that 4th line. He brings about as much energy as a rock.

45Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:57 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

N4L wrote:Well, Campoli better play lights out because he's the one who truly doesnt deserve to be there. Him and Shannon have a lot to prove if they stay in the lineup.

Shocked about this, but I guess the two way contract and ELC is what made the difference. He wont be back in Ottawa this year, garenteed.

Clouston better make the playoffs now because this move was about the now, not the future.
What a terrible decision. Send hom back to Sweden if anything. I have to say I don't agree with this decision.

46Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:59 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Interesting points Asq and Neely. If there's one thing I would have liked to see it's Karlsson and Kuba back together again. I think it's a little ironic that Kuba's coming back just as Karlsson is being sent to Bingo. However, I don't feel as strongly as you two that Karlsson was ready, so I'm neither here nor there really.

47Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Phoenix30 wrote:I do believe that Carkner would have to clear waivers if he was sent down now and would easily get picked off based on his play this year. And its about time that Karlsson was sent down. It would give him time to learn the American side of the game without the high expectations of playing at the NHL level.

The North American game he diminated last year at the WJC's? People gotta stop recycling the crap they hear from each other or convince each other of.

The NA game isnt the issue, the speed and size of the players is. He's not going to learn anything in The AHL of any signifigance, but you cant having him sitting in the press box either, that's the decision they were faced with. Add on the cap savings, one extra year on his ELC, it's a pretty simple decision in retrospect, but the not ready for the NHL is BS and it's only coming from the fans, not the coaches or managment.

48Senators send Karlsson To Bingo - Page 3 Empty Re: Senators send Karlsson To Bingo Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:00 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

jamvan wrote:What a terrible decision. Send hom back to Sweden if anything. I have to say I don't agree with this decision.

Sweden would have hurt way more than it would have helped IMO.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 15]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum