GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE!! Report: Sens send G Martin Gerber to Bingo

+15
LethalLehner
PKC
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
beedub
rooneypoo
COLLAR UP
SensGirl11
wprager
pgood
Phoenix30
asq2
dennycrane
19 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 4]

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

As reported on local Ottawa television:

The Ottawa Senators have released Martin Gerber.

asq2

asq2
All-Star
All-Star

Improving the team now. squirrel

First I have heard of it, and they cannot just release a player either, its not football.

He has to be put on waivers first, then re-entry waivers, then bought out if he or the team decides not to play down in the AHL.

Gerber is still here for now.

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

You're right, but that was the report.

Phoenix30

Phoenix30
Veteran
Veteran

I suspect its more a misinterpretation of him being released. Everything I have seen on TSN etc has him going down for a conditioning stint for 2 weeks which puts him in the AHL until the end of January. I wonder if Murray is doing it in the hopes that Gerber regains his form and up his value for a potential trade leading up to the deadline.

Why waive him now?????? We've put up with his inconsistent play for almost 3 years now. So we are bad for the rest of this season? So what. We've been bad for over a year now. Send Elliot down and let him tear up the AHL and be back here in September in a more positive environment.

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

This situation has me torn. On the one hand, a high draft pick would be outstanding for future building... but on the other, these guys play to win, and damn it I want to see them win. I Diddle hate losing!!!!

Stringing together some wins to close out this season, even if it doesn't result in play-offs, should ideally help build some confidence going into next season so we don't have to face a repeat of this year. Like it or not, we are pretty much stuck with the core we have. No one draft pick is going to come in and offer a miracle solution to this team's problems. I'd much rather they fix whatever the hell is wrong, than tank and draft Hedman. Kadri's ranking has dipped a little they may still be able to snag a guy like him.

On the bright side, the draft this year is supposed to be deep. So even a pick in the 10-15 range should result in a decent player.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

pgood wrote:This situation has me torn. On the one hand, a high draft pick would be outstanding for future building... but on the other, these guys play to win, and damn it I want to see them win. I Diddle hate losing!!!!

Stringing together some wins to close out this season, even if it doesn't result in play-offs, should ideally help build some confidence going into next season so we don't have to face a repeat of this year. Like it or not, we are pretty much stuck with the core we have. No one draft pick is going to come in and offer a miracle solution to this team's problems. I'd much rather they fix whatever the hell is wrong, than tank and draft Hedman. Kadri's ranking has dipped a little they may still be able to snag a guy like him.

On the bright side, the draft this year is supposed to be deep. So even a pick in the 10-15 range should result in a decent player.

You're echoing much of the sentiment I expressed in my post in the "What the hell..." thread. I want them to compete *and* win. I want them to make the playoffs or leave it all on the ice trying. High draft picks come and go. Some drafts getting the 1st overall (Phillips) means little. This draft is the exception, but it's also exceptional in that you easily get a gem in the 15th. We've got two 1st round picks, we'll be OK even if we finish 1 point out of the playoffs.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

I agree too, I must admit. I'm not cool with losing anymore. If the guys can turn things around, whether they make the playoffs or not, will be a positive thing for the organization. They need to get their Dung together and be ready for a full 82 + games next season. If we can't get in this year, we certainly have to next season. I wanted the top 5 pick, but I want the team to win more. And, if we actually go on the run necessary to secure a spot in the playoffs, we'll be a force for sure. Let's just keep playing our game, and get some wins and regain the confidence for everyone in the room. I want Elliott to be excited to play for us next year, and not scared to come into a horrible situation like the one we've been in for a little over a year now.

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

I have to admit...albeit begrudgingly...that maybe the TSN quiz had it right last night...in terms of keeping Spez...

All 3 agreed that the Sens need to keep Spezza...incl. Torts...

I dunno...I'm torn...

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Oh yeah, and how bout that McAmmond eh?! I love that guy! I don't think he'll be going anywhere.

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

COLLAR UP wrote:I have to admit...albeit begrudgingly...that maybe the TSN quiz had it right last night...in terms of keeping Spez...

I dunno...I'm torn...

Do you not want to keep him? I completely agree with the 4 yesterday saying he's part of the solution. It doesn't take a genius to see that he's been our best player of late and that he is becoming what he was expected to become. He will only get better, he's still really young. There is no way we are trading him, all of those rumours were Dung as far as I'm concerned. We'd look like fools if we traded him.

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:First I have heard of it, and they cannot just release a player either, its not football.

He has to be put on waivers first, then re-entry waivers, then bought out if he or the team decides not to play down in the AHL.

Gerber is still here for now.

Yes and no. Yes, a player in Gerber's situation (on a 1-way deal, NHL veteran of many years, etc.) has to be put on waivers before he can go anywhere (AHL, Europe, etc.). If he passed through the 24-hour waiver period unclaimed, however, a team can then assign him elsewhere (AHL, Europe, etc.) after that, and be done with him. Re-entry waivers and buy-outs are not the only options, nor are the most likely to be tried first. Guys are regularly being 're-assigned' to Europe (KHL), in fact, after they clear waivers.

Still, yeah, I haven't heard anything this morning to the effect that we've released Gerber. I'm expecting to hear today, tho', that he'll agree to a 2-week conditioning stint in the minors. After that, who knows. Maybe he gets waived. Maybe a team with goalie problems sends us a 7th or future considerations for him (dare to dream?). Probably the former.

COLLAR UP

COLLAR UP
Rookie
Rookie

SensGirl11 wrote:
COLLAR UP wrote:I have to admit...albeit begrudgingly...that maybe the TSN quiz had it right last night...in terms of keeping Spez...

I dunno...I'm torn...

Do you not want to keep him? I completely agree with the 4 yesterday saying he's part of the solution. It doesn't take a genius to see that he's been our best player of late and that he is becoming what he was expected to become. He will only get better, he's still really young. There is no way we are trading him, all of those rumours were Dung as far as I'm concerned. We'd look like fools if we traded him.

I am off and on...sometimes I am all for getting rid of him...but then other times...especially after listening to the Quiz last night...I realize how much of an asset he CAN be...

in fact...I am thinking the core can stay...minus Phillips...and the rest can be filled with youth...lots and lots of youth...

I may change my mind again...lol...just bear with me...lol...

beedub

beedub
Veteran
Veteran

It's not just the draft picks and prospects you'll get for Spezza. It's the $7 milliion in cap space you will free up. Hello, we will need a goalie, I don't think Elliot is ready to carry the number 1 goalie ball next year.

Strong draft, cap space, and a change of scenery for Mr. Spezza, I think it should happen

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 4]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum