GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

UPDATE!! Report: Sens send G Martin Gerber to Bingo

+15
LethalLehner
PKC
LeCaptain
SeawaySensFan
PTFlea
Cap'n Clutch
beedub
rooneypoo
COLLAR UP
SensGirl11
wprager
pgood
Phoenix30
asq2
dennycrane
19 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

rooneypoo

All-Star
All-Star

Neely4Life wrote:First I have heard of it, and they cannot just release a player either, its not football.

He has to be put on waivers first, then re-entry waivers, then bought out if he or the team decides not to play down in the AHL.

Gerber is still here for now.

Yes and no. Yes, a player in Gerber's situation (on a 1-way deal, NHL veteran of many years, etc.) has to be put on waivers before he can go anywhere (AHL, Europe, etc.). If he passed through the 24-hour waiver period unclaimed, however, a team can then assign him elsewhere (AHL, Europe, etc.) after that, and be done with him. Re-entry waivers and buy-outs are not the only options, nor are the most likely to be tried first. Guys are regularly being 're-assigned' to Europe (KHL), in fact, after they clear waivers.

Still, yeah, I haven't heard anything this morning to the effect that we've released Gerber. I'm expecting to hear today, tho', that he'll agree to a 2-week conditioning stint in the minors. After that, who knows. Maybe he gets waived. Maybe a team with goalie problems sends us a 7th or future considerations for him (dare to dream?). Probably the former.

COLLAR UP

Rookie
Rookie

SensGirl11 wrote:
COLLAR UP wrote:I have to admit...albeit begrudgingly...that maybe the TSN quiz had it right last night...in terms of keeping Spez...

All 3 agreed that the Sens need to keep Spezza...incl. Torts...

I dunno...I'm torn...

Do you not want to keep him? I completely agree with the 4 yesterday saying he's part of the solution. It doesn't take a genius to see that he's been our best player of late and that he is becoming what he was expected to become. He will only get better, he's still really young. There is no way we are trading him, all of those rumours were Dung as far as I'm concerned. We'd look like fools if we traded him.

I am off and on...sometimes I am all for getting rid of him...but then other times...especially after listening to the Quiz last night...I realize how much of an asset he CAN be...

in fact...I am thinking the core can stay...minus Phillips...and the rest can be filled with youth...lots and lots of youth...

I may change my mind again...lol...just bear with me...lol...

beedub

Veteran
Veteran

It's not just the draft picks and prospects you'll get for Spezza. It's the $7 milliion in cap space you will free up. Hello, we will need a goalie, I don't think Elliot is ready to carry the number 1 goalie ball next year.

Strong draft, cap space, and a change of scenery for Mr. Spezza, I think it should happen

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I say use the Detroit philosophy on goaltending. Auld and Elliott will be a strong enough tandem if Defense and the Defensive system is properly addressed. I don't believe getting rid of Spezza is the only way to do that either.

- Unknown Author

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

COLLAR UP wrote:
SensGirl11 wrote:
COLLAR UP wrote:I have to admit...albeit begrudgingly...that maybe the TSN quiz had it right last night...in terms of keeping Spez...

All 3 agreed that the Sens need to keep Spezza...incl. Torts...

I dunno...I'm torn...

Do you not want to keep him? I completely agree with the 4 yesterday saying he's part of the solution. It doesn't take a genius to see that he's been our best player of late and that he is becoming what he was expected to become. He will only get better, he's still really young. There is no way we are trading him, all of those rumours were Dung as far as I'm concerned. We'd look like fools if we traded him.

I am off and on...sometimes I am all for getting rid of him...but then other times...especially after listening to the Quiz last night...I realize how much of an asset he CAN be...

in fact...I am thinking the core can stay...minus Phillips...and the rest can be filled with youth...lots and lots of youth...

I may change my mind again...lol...just bear with me...lol...

The only time I was up for trading him was when there were rumors of him for Luongo. That's the only time I'd do it, franchise player for franchise player. I certainly wouldn't be doing it for what Dung Ek has been saying of Spezza for Leclaire...is he on crack or something? I don't know these young Filatov, Brassard guys enough to say that I would trade him for them, but I'm thinking that I wouldn't do that either...I think there are other options for us. I want to keep Spezza for the long run though, guaranteed. For some reason, a lot of people don't take him seriously, and think that he sucks and isn't worth anything. I don't understand that, I guess they don't watch that much hockey.

Cap'n Clutch wrote:I say use the Detroit philosophy on goaltending. Auld and Elliott will be a strong enough tandem if Defense and the Defensive system is properly addressed. I don't believe getting rid of Spezza is the only way to do that either.
I agree with the "Detroit Philosophy" - where do we get a Lidstrom ?

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

RobbyJ wrote:
Cap'n Clutch wrote:I say use the Detroit philosophy on goaltending. Auld and Elliott will be a strong enough tandem if Defense and the Defensive system is properly addressed. I don't believe getting rid of Spezza is the only way to do that either.

Obviously you can't just pick up a Lidstrom but guys like Lee, Picard, (PMD acquisition) and eventually Karlsson should be able to be a nice D by committe :D

- Unknown Author

SensGirl11

SensGirl11
Mod
Mod

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
RobbyJ wrote:

Obviously you can't just pick up a Lidstrom but guys like Lee, Picard, (PMD acquisition) and eventually Karlsson should be able to be a nice D by committe :D

I too think those 2 + Karlsson should be a great D corps in a few years. Picard seems to be getting better and better every game. Lee seems to be coming into his own as well, and you see a lot of flashes of brilliance from him. I still don't know why Murray sent him down earlier in the season...but I guess it worked out.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

No love for Wiercioch?

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:No love for Wiercioch?

Not until next year around this time Wink

He will be a big part of our future. Obviously, Karlsson is the focus because he's sooooo close to being in the lineup.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

SeawaySensFan wrote:

He will be a big part of our future. Obviously, Karlsson is the focus because he's sooooo close to being in the lineup.

I find that hard to believe. I think they both come into the NHL at nearly the same time. Opening day of the 10/11 season. Rushing Karlsson will produce anxiety in a lot of people I think.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Apparently today or tomorrow latest is D-day for Gerber, so this report is fairly accurate (although we're not releasing him perse).

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:
SeawaySensFan wrote:

I find that hard to believe. I think they both come into the NHL at nearly the same time. Opening day of the 10/11 season. Rushing Karlsson will produce anxiety in a lot of people I think.

Losing will produce even more anxiety and hurt the bottom line as well.

Unless Murray deals for a defenseman, Karlsson is our best option. Besides, it isn't rushing if he's ready.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I think the Sens go middle road and go after an Ohlund or trade for a good D-man. I can't see them not doing anything.

Even if Karlsson plays, the Sens need a #1 D-man - fairly badly.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

If Lee can develop into a "Good-Redden" then we have our #1. Huge if, I know.

If you prefer something a bit bigger and tougher in your defensemen, then what is M. Karlsson's potential?

I'd love to say Wiercioch, but at 6'4" and only 178 lbs he needs to add 20-30 just not to look like a baseketball player ... from Nigeria. Adding that much weight in one year will throw his balance way off, so it'll probably take at least 2 years.

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I keep forgetting about all these guys. Man oh man our D will look pretty sweet if Lee continues to improve, bring in guys like Karlsson, Wiercioch and Petersson (He is D right?). Good times ahead.

- Unknown Author

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Petersson's a slick LW I believe. Damn speedy little monkey. Great wrister. Scored 6 for Sweden in the WJC.

He might make the NHL. There's so many questions surrounding him - defense, ability to play a NA style game etc. etc. etc.

Could be a steal for us.

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

504Heater wrote:Petersson's a slick LW I believe. Damn speedy little monkey. Great wrister. Scored 6 for Sweden in the WJC.

He might make the NHL. There's so many questions surrounding him - defense, ability to play a NA style game etc. etc. etc.

Could be a steal for us.

It's hard to find current info on him. It appears that he is in the HV71 Junior Program, he's not on the Elite teams roster. Could be a good one though.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum