GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Could Erik Karlsson join the Bingo sens for the playoff run?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Jordo

Jordo
Sophomore
Sophomore

According to Brent Flahr, director of player operations for the Binghamton Senators, there is a possibility that we could see Erik Karlsson in the organization sooner than we may think.

With Frolunda's early exit from the Swedish elite league's playoffs- the boys in Bingo are looking into the possibility of signing him and having him play the remainder of games as a Senator.

The decision ultimately lies with Erik himself, as Brent implied, but this possibility is very real and could happen over the next couple of days-

stay tuned.

Riprock

Riprock
All-Star
All-Star

Is it possible? I was wondering this myself and brought it up in another thread (though it was more about him joining Mississauga, but I think I also mentioned Bingo). Doesn't he have to be under contract? And wouldn't it be too late? Couldn't Ottawa send Elliott down as well?

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Aren`t we burning one year of RFA elligibility if that happens?

marakh wrote:Aren`t we burning one year of RFA elligibility if that happens?
No. There is a minimum number of games, just like O'Brien. I'll try to find the number in the CBA.

Got it. An 18 or 19 year old must play a minimum of 10 games in the NHL to burn a year of his entry level deal.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

SO AHL doesn't count then... Interesting.

marakh wrote:SO AHL doesn't count then... Interesting.
They can only play in the AHL as 18 or 19 year olds once their Junior or in Karlsson's case SEL teams are finished playing.

An 18 or 19 year old cannot play the full year in the AHL on an NHL Entry Level contract.

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Would it be a contact with Bingo or with Ottawa?

I think it would have to be Ottawa, since he is their property. Not sure on this one though.

pgood

pgood
Rookie
Rookie

There is one other issue, although I'm not 100% positive how it works. But AHL playoff rosters, or at least players who can be eligible had to be submitted to the league (AHL) some time ago. If a player is not on that list, then they are not eligible to play in the AHL playoffs.

There may be loopholes or exceptions, I'm really not sure, or Karlsson's name may have been included. But I will try to find exactly what the rule on that is.

OK... here is the break down... found here AHL CLEAR DAY

"The American Hockey League has released the 2008-09 Clear Day Period lists for each of its 29 member clubs.

Each Clear Day roster consists of a maximum of 22 players.
According to AHL by-laws, only those players listed on a team’s Clear Day roster are eligible
to compete in the remainder of the 2008-09 AHL regular season and in the 2009 Calder Cup Playoffs,
unless emergency conditions arise as a result of recall, injury or suspension.

Teams may also add signed junior players or players on amateur tryout
contracts, only after their respective junior or college seasons are
complete."

Basically, other than on an emergency basis the only other players that can be added to AHL play-off rosters are those signed from their Junior or College teams. Since the SEL is technically a pro league I don't think Karlsson would be eligible.

Some names to note that were either included or excluded from the B-Sens list.

Elliot was excluded from that list, so it'll be the Jeff Glass show. Also not included was Ryan Shannon. Of names we saw at least semi-regularily in Ottawa, Bell and Lee are included and thus eligible to play. as are Regin and Zubov.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum