GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vinny and Jumbo Joe will have to play better -- McGuire

+7
TheAvatar
spader
SeawaySensFan
Acrobat
Sens19
SensGirl11
wprager
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

TheAvatar

Veteran
Veteran

spader wrote:Canada is WAY too deep. Unless Spezza does what we all hope he does and impresses the heck out of everyone to start the season, his chances are ridiculously slim.

Actually, I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Should help him focus!

spader

All-Star
All-Star

Here's hoping. I would absolutely love it if he found his way onto the team since it would mean top notch play to start the season.

FingersCrossed

spader wrote:Here's hoping. I would absolutely love it if he found his way onto the team since it would mean top notch play to start the season.

FingersCrossed

Top Notch? He would literally have to be a top 3 player in the league for it to happen.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
spader wrote:Canada is WAY too deep. Unless Spezza does what we all hope he does and impresses the heck out of everyone to start the season, his chances are ridiculously slim.

The Sens will literally have to be on top of the division and maybe the conferance for Spezza to even be considered. There is a 0% chance he beats out Crosby and Getzlaf, 0% chance he is Canada's checking line center, the only possible spot Spezza gets on that team is the 3rd line center. Then he has to beat out Toews, Thornton, and Lecailvier.

Basically, Spezza isnt even in the discussion.

Judging by the discussion, he is in the discussion. Y'know, cause we're having a discussion and.......never mind.

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

N4L wrote:
spader wrote:Here's hoping. I would absolutely love it if he found his way onto the team since it would mean top notch play to start the season.

FingersCrossed

Top Notch? He would literally have to be a top 3 player in the league for it to happen.

Literally?

Literally!

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

I don't know. Spezza's play alone won't decide much of anything IMO. If there is an injury (or Getzlaf's is serious) and any of the others waiting in the wings (Lecav/Joe) are struggling, he's got a shot. If Spezza is on pace for a career year and the rest aren't impressing, I think he's got a shot.

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

N4L wrote:No shot in hell Spezza makes this team, none. Unless there are injuries apon injuries up the middle he will have a nice long break come olympic time which actually might be a good thing for The Sens themselves.

Spezza looked outclassed at the camp and basically proved he doesnt belong to be held in talks regarding the best in the game, he isnt even close. Hopefully he can turn into more of a leader that can make his team better, but as for a world class, elite player, he isnt nore do I think he ever will be.

The only Senator that has a chance to play is Heatley, thats the reality of it.

I'm curious on what you are basing that assessment. Was your long absence from these boards due partially to heading down to Calgary to check things out first hand? Or are you talking about the White/Red intra-squad game?

Just the red/white game I watched.

N4L wrote:No shot in hell Spezza makes this team, none. Unless there are injuries apon injuries up the middle he will have a nice long break come olympic time which actually might be a good thing for The Sens themselves.

Spezza looked outclassed at the camp and basically proved he doesnt belong to be held in talks regarding the best in the game, he isnt even close. Hopefully he can turn into more of a leader that can make his team better, but as for a world class, elite player, he isnt nore do I think he ever will be.

The only Senator that has a chance to play is Heatley, thats the reality of it.

I have to say: My hope for his long-term potential/development took a massive hit while watching him during that scrimmage. I realize he is young and I realize he was up against some of the best in the world, but he looks exactly like he did 2 years ago just with a little less confidence and a little more defensive awareness.

Yeah he's grown and blah blah, but he is so far away from world class, it truly isn't funny ⭕

Nope it isnt funny, I'm holding out some hope he turns into something special but it really was discouraging watching him against Canada's best. Spezza seems to be a 2nd line center in the NHL, not a top dog. I dont care what his "production" potential his, he isnt a guy that is going to carry a team, he's a guy that goes along for the ride.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Nope it isnt funny, I'm holding out some hope he turns into something special but it really was discouraging watching him against Canada's best. Spezza seems to be a 2nd line center in the NHL, not a top dog. I dont care what his "production" potential his, he isnt a guy that is going to carry a team, he's a guy that goes along for the ride.

Championship teams have a guy on the second line to carry a team. Kovalev goes a long ways towards that, but man, it would be fantastic if Mike Fisher was a Selke caliber guy who could score 40 goals.

Spezza's game is going to have to really come around and he will have to be known as one of the best two way centers in the game in short order to actually be considered something other then a guy who can pass the puck.

The Canada scrimage really was depressing to watch in terms of Spezza. You can see why he was nothing more then a fill in.

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

N4L wrote:Spezza's game is going to have to really come around and he will have to be known as one of the best two way centers in the game in short order to actually be considered something other then a guy who can pass the puck.

The Canada scrimage really was depressing to watch in terms of Spezza. You can see why he was nothing more then a fill in.

I felt badly for him because it started off bad, got a lot worse, then in the 2nd it got better, not great, but better - and you could see him getting frustrated and starting to press...and he was diddled when that happened.

No chance at this team - none. And that pretty much includes injuries. I'm a massive Spezza fan, I love him, think he's one of the best passers, but Canada will have all the skill they need, and Spezza's no 3rd line winger.

The only chance is if he commits to the Cory Clouston system (something he did actually) and has an outstanding first half.

That game was EXACTLY like one of our games: Spezza was on the ice for EVERY F*CKING GOAL AGAINST!!! Unbelievable. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The way I see it, Spezza was only their ahead of Savard because he's younger and they hope he'll be a legit contender for the 2014 team. Savard is ahead of him for 2010, regardless of Spezza getting the nod for camp.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

Whatever, if Canad wants to win a GOld medal they better put a guy like Macdonald in there instead of Thornton or Spezza.

I love McDonald, but you have guys like Toews and Richards who can do the job. McDonald the most under rated player in the game today. That is Bryan Murray's best find in the NHL.

LeCaptain

LeCaptain
All-Star
All-Star

[quote=\"N4L\"]I love McDonald, but you have guys like Toews and Richards who can do the job. McDonald the most under rated player in the game today. That is Bryan Murray\'s best find in the NHL.[/quote]

Well, I was thinking of something like Crosby, Getzlaf, Macdonald and RIchards as centers, with LEcavalier and Toews as wingers.
EDIT: Mcdo Is pretty awesome at Faceoffs.

Last edited by marakh on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum