GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal

+10
PTFlea
The Silfer Server
TheAvatar
rooneypoo
Tuk Tuk
Cap'n Clutch
shabbs
wprager
SensFan71
jamvan
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 5]

16Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:23 pm

shabbs

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Tuk Tuk Goose wrote:how about Semin on NHL08?

Semen rushed up the ice Facepalm
Laughing3

17Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:57 am

Cap'n Clutch

Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Tuk Tuk Goose wrote:how about Semin on NHL08?

Semen rushed up the ice Facepalm

I still think Useless is way better Razz

18Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:22 am

wprager

Administrator
Administrator

Guys, the name should be spelled Syomin. There are two versions of the letter 'e' in the Russian alphabet. The plain one is pronounced 'yeh' and the one with the umlaut above it is pronounced 'yo'.

Алекса́ндр Вале́рьевич Сёмин

It's not semin and it's not semen. It's Syomin. We are (almost) all past puberty. Can we just say we've had enough making pimply-faced jokes about someone's name?

P.S. Varlamov said he'll change the spelling of his name for a similar season. The Russian spelling of his name is "Семён". The 'eo' in "Simeon" was meant to indicate that it was not the regular 'e'. Unfortunately it didn't really work because "Simeon" is fairly common here and is not pronounced the same as he had intended. If I was Semin's agent (or a team advisor) I would have changed the spelling before any jerseys were sold.

19Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:26 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:Guys, the name should be spelled Syomin. There are two versions of the letter 'e' in the Russian alphabet. The plain one is pronounced 'yeh' and the one with the umlaut above it is pronounced 'yo'.

It's not semin and it's not semen. It's Syomin. We are (almost) all past puberty. Can we just say we've had enough making pimply-faced jokes about someone's name?

P.S. Varlamov said he'll change the spelling of his name for a similar season. The Russian spelling of his name is "Семён". The 'eo' in "Simeon" was meant to indicate that it was not the regular 'e'. Unfortunately it didn't really work because "Simeon" is fairly common here and is not pronounced the same as he had intended. If I was Semin's agent (or a team advisor) I would have changed the spelling before any jerseys were sold.

Jack of all trades. Thanks for the Russian lesson.

The real question is are YOU "The worlds most interesting man"? I mean can you "speak french...in russian"?

- Unknown Author

20Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:30 am

shabbs

shabbs
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

wprager wrote:We are (almost) all past puberty. Can we just say we've had enough making pimply-faced jokes about someone's name?
Hell no.

I will giggle at his name until the day I die.

Book it.

Smile

21Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:14 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Cap'n Clutch wrote:
wprager wrote:Guys, the name should be spelled Syomin. There are two versions of the letter 'e' in the Russian alphabet. The plain one is pronounced 'yeh' and the one with the umlaut above it is pronounced 'yo'.

Jack of all trades. Thanks for the Russian lesson.

The real question is are YOU "The worlds most interesting man"? I mean can you "speak french...in russian"?

Interesting that you should ask, actually. Prior to the war of 1812 (not the piddly little war over on this side of the pond, but the *real one*, the one for which the 1812 Overture was written) French was very popular in the Russian culture, especially among the aristocracy. As a result, Russian has adopted a great number of French words and phrases.

With that out of the way, I present to you -- speaking French ... in Russian:

Такова се-ля-ви

P.S. That's actually a Russian joke. The first word translates to "Such is" or "that's". The rest is a sound-alike for "c'est la vie" using Russian letters. Put together, it is "Such is c'est la vie", or in other words someone pretending to sound aristocratic by using a French saying they do not truly uinderstand.

Now, if you gus were all Russian, I wouldn't have had to explain that joke

22Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:20 am

takova selyavi ?

Menya zovut XXXXX, Ya nemyetski.

23Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:20 am

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

wprager wrote:

Interesting that you should ask, actually. Prior to the war of 1812 (not the piddly little war over on this side of the pond, but the *real one*, the one for which the 1812 Overture was written) French was very popular in the Russian culture, especially among the aristocracy. As a result, Russian has adopted a great number of French words and phrases.

Такова се-ля-ви

P.S. That's actually a Russian joke. The first word translates to "Such is" or "that's". The rest is a sound-alike for "c'est la vie" using Russian letters. Put together, it is "Such is c'est la vie", or in other words someone pretending to sound aristocratic by using a French saying they do not truly uinderstand.

Now, if you gus were all Russian, I wouldn't have had to explain that joke[/quote]

You shouldn't have explained it. I would have thought you said -

I don't always drink beer but when I do I prefer Dos Equies. Stay thirsty my friends.

Smile

- Unknown Author

24Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:34 am

rooneypoo

rooneypoo
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:

Такова се-ля-ви

Now, if you gus were all Russian, I wouldn't have had to explain that joke

Most European royal courts (the king's inner circle, not the legal court), from the medieval era to the 17th and 18th centuries, would have spoke French almost exclusively. It was the universal language of aristocracy, and especially of monarchy, just as Latin was once the universal language of the Church.

With so much interconnection and intermarriages between families of different languages and cultures, and with so much hanging in the balance in terms of political stability with those marriages, people had to understand each other. Learning French was considered a marker of social status, too, until well into the 19thC, long after royal courts were antiquated and replaced by parliaments.

No one in England ever used English at court before Chaucer (late 14thC), for instance, who was the first to write court poetry in English. Remarkably, for centuries, in England, English was thought to be a vulgar language, the language of peasants. Same with Italian in Italy until after Dante.

25Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:38 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

shabbs wrote:
jamvan wrote:
Blazer wrote:who is the long dress?

Either I missed something or ... yeah, going to keep it nice today Smile
Latendresse
I still don't get it... Ten != Long in French last time I checked. I've always referred to him a The Tender One.

Wink
It's not literal, it's just the way it sounds.

26Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:46 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

"ten" (sounds like "tuhn" in French) sounds like long?

27Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:46 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

!=

eheh ... haven't seen that in a while.

28Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:47 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

LatinDress would be more accurate actually Smile

29Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:55 am

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

TheAvatar wrote:!=

eheh ... haven't seen that in a while.

C/C++, C#, Java, Python, Perl, PHP, Ruby all use !=. Are you a Fortran relic (.NE.) or Basic (<>) or something else? Or are you simply saying you haven't programmed for a while?

30Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:58 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Yeah; that's what I was saying. I graduated from university with my computer science degree back in 1990 (yes, we had computers back then) and I programmed for the first few years of my carreer but not since.

31Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:59 am

TheAvatar

TheAvatar
Veteran
Veteran

Blazer wrote:takova selyavi ?

Menya zovut XXXXX, Ya nemyetski.

Chinese to me ...

32Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:02 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

wprager wrote:"ten" (sounds like "tuhn" in French) sounds like long?
Just forget it. LMFAO! There's nothing to read into, it's just what me and my uncles, who hate the Habs call him. Trust me, I'm fully (not by choice) bilingual.

33Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Habs sign TheLongDress to 1 year deal Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:04 am

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

TheAvatar wrote:LatinDress would be more accurate actually Smile
Latin doesn't sound "gay" enough.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum