GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Worst UFA signings of 2009

+9
Mojo
wprager
PTFlea
jamvan
Cap'n Clutch
spader
SeawaySensFan
dennycrane
SensFan71
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:05 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/27173-THNcom-Top-10-Worst-UFA-contracts.html

We only made the list once, and at # 10 to boot, Toronto made it twice, take that Burke you geniusy.

2Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:20 pm

dennycrane

dennycrane
Veteran
Veteran

Hard to argue with that list. Apart from Gaborik, there were no 'howlers' IMO. Last year, there was Huet, Redden, and Campbell, which I thought were some of the worst signings I have ever seen.

3Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:34 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Kotalik would have bumped Neil out of the Top 10! lol

Nice to see Montreal make the list too.

Burning Car

4Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:35 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

SeawaySensFan wrote:Kotalik would have bumped Neil out of the Top 10! lol

Nice to see Montreal make the list too.

Burning Car

Kotalik might have been bumped up a bit higher than # 10, but again, it would have erased us from the list. 🇬🇬

5Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:00 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

That was a good article. One thing that bears mentioning refers to the opening paragraphs. Grigg mentions Niedermayer who is the 12th paid defensemen, "despite his top-five game." I think in some situations, it's the player, not the GM that facilitate a good signing like that. Neidermayer is, in my opinion, a class act. Definitely similar to Alfie in that he's not there to handcuff the GM into giving "fair market value." Just because you can get more money, doesn't mean you deserve more money. Sometimes building a team is as much in the hands of the players at the negotiating table as it is in the GM's.

6Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:05 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Good point Spader. South Korea eh? You are definitely our first member from there. I assume you're there for work? How did you discover us anyway?

- Unknown Author

7Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:20 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

No surprise Neil is on there. We all agree he was overpaid. $1 million would have been sufficient for Neil.

Gaborik is still up in the air. If the guy can remain healthy, he can be one of the best, but that's a BIG IF!

8Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:23 pm

SensFan71

All-Star
All-Star

jamvan wrote:No surprise Neil is on there. We all agree he was overpaid. $1 million would have been sufficient for Neil.

Gaborik is still up in the air. If the guy can remain healthy, he can be one of the best, but that's a BIG IF!

would have been happier with 1.5 million per, but yeah 2 million is more than we wanted to pay, but he wants to be here, so hopefully he plays his but off and earns that 2 M

9Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I wonder if Neil's butt gets parked in front of the net a la Holmstrom in the upcoming season? Perhaps Neil's butt will score enough goals to justify his salary?

Last edited by Cap'n Clutch on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

- Unknown Author

10Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:25 pm

jamvan

jamvan
Veteran
Veteran

SensFan71 wrote:
jamvan wrote:No surprise Neil is on there. We all agree he was overpaid. $1 million would have been sufficient for Neil.

would have been happier with 1.5 million per, but yeah 2 million is more than we wanted to pay, but he wants to be here, so hopefully he plays his but off and earns that 2 M
We can only hope, because if last year is any indication e's lost a step or two. I hope so though, for his and our sake.

11Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:28 pm

Cap'n Clutch

Cap'n Clutch
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

Neil's best season was due to his extensive PP time and I've been advocating for him to get back in front of the net on the PP ever since they took him out of that roll.

No one has really explained why that change occured.

- Unknown Author

12Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:38 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I agree Neil got paid 500K more than he should have, but the NHL and fans are about to find out that loyalty means a lot in the upcoming years. Players will move around like we've never seen before. I heard the term 'mercenaries' used a lot, guns for hire essentially, and to lock a guy down that lives and bleeds your team's colours is never a bad thing.

13Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:44 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

Why is Havlat a bad signing? And why is Hossa -- that contract should be fairly easy to move if they wanted, unless he has a NTC.

14Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:46 pm

SeawaySensFan

SeawaySensFan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Cap'n Clutch wrote:Neil's best season was due to his extensive PP time and I've been advocating for him to get back in front of the net on the PP ever since they took him out of that roll.

No one has really explained why that change occured.

Mostly because "Fish" gots to have hims minutes!

15Worst UFA signings of 2009 Empty Re: Worst UFA signings of 2009 Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:49 pm

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

I don't care that Orr makes only 1 million, that's a horrible signing. I really think that's a waste personally. Like getting Holweg last year, for what?

I personally don't see a problem with the Antropov signing, DEFINITELY not the Hossa signing, DEFINITELY not the Havlat signing, DEFINITELY not the Cammalleri signing, nor do I have an issue with the Gionta signing actually.

Gaborik when healthy is a top 3 winger, but the money is silly in this economy, so...I'm on the fence on that one.

Komisarek is a good singing, nothing wrong with that really.

Bulin is good and bad because of age factors and injury history.

Neil is overpaid by 500K, but I wouldn't have him on that list.

Kotalik for 3 million is STUPID. So there's one I don't like.

I basically disagree with half of that top 10. Kind of a weak article from THN. Surprising.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum