GM Hockey
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
GM Hockey

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hockey's Worst Year

+5
tim1_2
NEELY
sens4win
spader
rileysutherland
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Hockey's Worst Year Empty Hockey's Worst Year Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:19 pm

rileysutherland

Prospect
Prospect

Seemed like this season would never end. Couldn't even watch the finals. The game is unwatchable. The announcers are too tied to the players. No one knows what a clean hit is. AND the Habs are a farce. Here's a good take/post-mortem on a horrific season for hockey, on the ice and off of the ice: thebarnstormer.com/hockeys-worst-year/

2Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:43 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Interesting.

3Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:22 pm

sens4win

sens4win
Veteran
Veteran

Karlsson's best year.

4Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:31 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

I enjoyed this past season.

5Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:36 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Depends on your perspective. Yeah, there was a ton of off-ice stuff that overshadowed the game at times, and yeah, league discipline and headshots continued to be a prevailing topic.

As a Sens fan though, there were so many great moments, and the season was beyond what most reasonable people expected…hard to call it hockey's worst year.

You say in your post that "the Habs are a farce"…so I'm going to guess that you are a Habs fan and were obviously frustrated and bitter all year. As it should have been.

6Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:38 am

NEELY

Mod
Mod

Not sure what people expect from a game that is played by grown men. Accept it for what it is.

7Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:40 am

PTFlea

PTFlea
Co-Founder
Co-Founder

With all due respect to the people who died, I also enjoyed this season.

8Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:56 am

SensHulk

SensHulk
All-Star
All-Star

I will agree that this season was just an absolute head scratcher with regards to the reffing and suspensions. No suspension for the hit on winchester (or penalty), chris neil gets a penalty for getting speared, refs influencing the decision for so many games (many sens games, including game 6 @ home, not to mention game 6 of the cup finals).

I'm hoping the next cba can introduce a coach's challenge....its high time now. And make the refs more accountable. Can't do much in the way of shanahan being more consistent...

9Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:24 am

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Michallica wrote:I will agree that this season was just an absolute head scratcher with regards to the reffing and suspensions. No suspension for the hit on winchester (or penalty), chris neil gets a penalty for getting speared, refs influencing the decision for so many games (many sens games, including game 6 @ home, not to mention game 6 of the cup finals).

I'm hoping the next cba can introduce a coach's challenge....its high time now. And make the refs more accountable. Can't do much in the way of shanahan being more consistent...

I've said it before, and I'll tout it here again. The NFL has a weekly show on the NFL Network, where the head official goes through some controversial calls from the past week, describes the rationale behind why certain calls were made/not made, and then discusses whether the on-field refs got it right. I would LOVE to see the NHL adopt this idea. It wouldn't necessarily change anything, other than perhaps giving fans some satisfaction in knowing that certain calls were right or wrong. It would also publicly expose refs who consistently get things wrong…which is why the refs' union would hate this and do everything to oppose it.

And, hey, it'd be entertaining!

10Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:40 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

We have "C'mon Ref" or whatever that column is called. Maybe next year Fraser takes his gig on the air.

11Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 pm

wprager

wprager
Administrator
Administrator

rileysutherland wrote:Seemed like this season would never end. Couldn't even watch the finals. The game is unwatchable. The announcers are too tied to the players. No one knows what a clean hit is. AND the Habs are a farce. Here's a good take/post-mortem on a horrific season for hockey, on the ice and off of the ice: thebarnstormer.com/hockeys-worst-year/

Welcome to the board.

As a Habs fan, though, you must admit it's great to finally see Gauthier and Martin gone. They seen to be mostly doing the right moves now. I'm still scratching my head about Therrien -- I was scratching it the first time they hired him, too. For the record, I lived in Montreal from '75 to '95. The current team bears no resemblance to those teams of the 70s and 80s and early '90s.

12Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:49 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

wprager wrote:We have "C'mon Ref" or whatever that column is called. Maybe next year Fraser takes his gig on the air.

Now Fraser is just a media-schmuck...It'd be nice to have some accountability by those employed as referees.

13Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Hoags

Hoags
All-Star
All-Star

wprager wrote:We have "C'mon Ref" or whatever that column is called. Maybe next year Fraser takes his gig on the hair.

Wow that's how I read your post Laughing3

14Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:48 pm

spader

spader
All-Star
All-Star

Michallica wrote:I will agree that this season was just an absolute head scratcher with regards to the reffing and suspensions. No suspension for the hit on winchester (or penalty), chris neil gets a penalty for getting speared, refs influencing the decision for so many games (many sens games, including game 6 @ home, not to mention game 6 of the cup finals).

Apparently some of the GMs don't want a challenge because of the way that the cameras are set up in each arena. Some are much better than others, putting the owners of the better systems at greater risk of getting more penalties against them in their home games. Of course, that goes both ways (they'd also be able to challenge more confidently, knowing that their video setup will catch whatever infraction they want to challenge), but it still makes them more vulnerable than a team with a terrible setup.

That was the dissent that was reported the last time this issue came up.

15Hockey's Worst Year Empty Re: Hockey's Worst Year Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:02 pm

tim1_2

tim1_2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

spader wrote:

Apparently some of the GMs don't want a challenge because of the way that the cameras are set up in each arena. Some are much better than others, putting the owners of the better systems at greater risk of getting more penalties against them in their home games. Of course, that goes both ways (they'd also be able to challenge more confidently, knowing that their video setup will catch whatever infraction they want to challenge), but it still makes them more vulnerable than a team with a terrible setup.

That was the dissent that was reported the last time this issue came up.

Sense that does not make.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum